Generic Name: ceftibuten (sef-TYE-byoo-ten)
Brand Name: Cedax
Ceftibuten is used for:
Treating mild to moderate infections caused by certain bacteria.
Ceftibuten is a cephalosporin antibiotic. It works by killing sensitive bacteria.
Do NOT use ceftibuten if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in ceftibuten or any other cephalosporin antibiotic (eg, cephalexin)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using ceftibuten:
Some medical conditions may interact with ceftibuten. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have had a severe allergic reaction (eg, severe rash, hives, difficulty breathing, dizziness) to a penicillin (eg, amoxicillin) or other beta-lactam antibiotic (eg, imipenem)
- if you have a blood clotting disorder, kidney problems, or stomach or bowel problems (eg, inflammation)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with ceftibuten. However, no specific interactions with ceftibuten are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if ceftibuten may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use ceftibuten:
Use ceftibuten as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Ceftibuten may be taken with or without food.
- To clear up your infection completely, continue using ceftibuten for the full course of treatment even if you feel better in a few days.
- If you miss a dose of ceftibuten, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use ceftibuten.
Important safety information:
- Ceftibuten is effective only against bacteria. It is not effective for treating viral infections (eg, the common cold)
- It is important to use ceftibuten for the full course of treatment. Failure to do so may decrease the effectiveness of ceftibuten and may increase the risk that the bacteria will no longer be sensitive to ceftibuten and will not be able to be treated by this or certain other antibiotics in the future.
- Long-term or repeated use of ceftibuten may cause a second infection. Your doctor may want to change your medicine to treat the second infection. Contact your doctor if signs of a second infection occur.
- If severe diarrhea, stomach pain or cramps, or bloody stools occur, contact your doctor immediately. This could be a symptom of a serious side effect requiring immediate medical attention. Do not treat diarrhea without consulting your doctor.
- Diabetes patients - Ceftibuten may cause incorrect test results with some urine glucose tests. Check with your doctor before you adjust the dose of your diabetes medicine or change your diet.
- Ceftibuten may interfere with certain lab test results. Make sure your doctor and lab personnel know you are using ceftibuten.
- Use ceftibuten with caution in the ELDERLY because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Use ceftibuten with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 6 months of age. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- Use ceftibuten with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 10 years of age who have diarrhea or a stomach or bowel infection.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking ceftibuten, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using ceftibuten during pregnancy. It is unknown if ceftibuten is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using ceftibuten, check with your doctor of pharmacist to discuss the risk to your baby.
Possible side effects of ceftibuten:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Diarrhea; headache; indigestion; loose stools; nausea; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); bloody stools; dark urine; decreased urination; fever, chills, or sore throat; joint pain; mental or mood changes; red, swollen, or blistered skin; seizures; severe diarrhea; severe stomach pain or cramps; unusual bruising or bleeding; unusual tiredness or weakness; vaginal irritation or discharge; yellowing of the eyes or skin.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include muscle spasms; seizures.Proper storage of ceftibuten:
Store ceftibuten at room temperature, between 36 and 77 degrees F (2 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep ceftibuten out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about ceftibuten, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Ceftibuten is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take ceftibuten or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about ceftibuten. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to ceftibuten. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using ceftibuten.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about ceftibuten
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 3 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
Other brands: Cedax