Benadryl Allergy Ultratabs
Generic Name: diphenhydramine (DYE-fen-HYE-dra-meen)
Brand Name: Examples include Banophen and Benadryl Allergy Ultratabs
Benadryl Allergy Ultratabs is used for:
Preventing or treating symptoms of hay fever and other upper respiratory allergies or the common cold, such as runny nose, sneezing, itching of the nose and throat, and itchy, watery eyes, and relieving cough. It may also relieve itching of the skin and allergic skin reactions. It is also used to treat and prevent motion sickness. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Benadryl Allergy Ultratabs is an antihistamine and anticholinergic. It works by blocking the action of histamine, reducing the symptoms of an allergic reaction. It also works in the brain to cause sedation.
Do NOT use Benadryl Allergy Ultratabs if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Benadryl Allergy Ultratabs or to other similar medicines
- you are taking sodium oxybate (GHB)
- you are breast-feeding
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Benadryl Allergy Ultratabs:
Some medical conditions may interact with Benadryl Allergy Ultratabs. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), chronic bronchitis, emphysema, lung disease, shortness of breath, or sleep apnea
- if you have blockage of the stomach, intestine, or urinary tract; difficulty urinating; diabetes; ulcers; enlargement of the prostate; glaucoma; heart disease; high blood pressure; the blood disease porphyria; or thyroid disease
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Benadryl Allergy Ultratabs. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Sodium oxybate (GHB) because an increase in sleep duration and a decrease in the ability to breathe are likely to occur
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Benadryl Allergy Ultratabs may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Benadryl Allergy Ultratabs:
Use Benadryl Allergy Ultratabs as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Benadryl Allergy Ultratabs by mouth with or without food.
- Use Benadryl Allergy Ultratabs exactly as directed on the package, unless instructed differently by your doctor. If you are taking Benadryl Allergy Ultratabs without a prescription, follow any warnings and precautions on the label.
- For prevention of motion sickness: Take at least 30 minutes before activity or travel.
- If you miss a dose of Benadryl Allergy Ultratabs and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Benadryl Allergy Ultratabs.
Important safety information:
- Benadryl Allergy Ultratabs may cause drowsiness or dizziness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Benadryl Allergy Ultratabs with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not drink alcohol or use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Benadryl Allergy Ultratabs; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Benadryl Allergy Ultratabs may cause dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting; alcohol, hot weather, exercise, or fever may increase these effects. To prevent them, sit up or stand slowly, especially in the morning. Sit or lie down at the first sign of any of these effects.
- Do not become overheated in hot weather or while you are being active; heatstroke may occur.
- Benadryl Allergy Ultratabs may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Benadryl Allergy Ultratabs. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Benadryl Allergy Ultratabs has diphenhydramine in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has diphenhydramine in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do not use Benadryl Allergy Ultratabs for a cough with a lot of mucus. Do not use it for a long-term cough (eg, caused by asthma, emphysema, smoking). However, you may use it for these conditions if your doctor tells you to.
- If your symptoms persist for more than 1 week or if you develop a fever, contact your health care provider.
- Use Benadryl Allergy Ultratabs with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially dizziness, sedation, and lightheadedness upon standing.
- Different brands of Benadryl Allergy Ultratabs may have different dosing instructions for CHILDREN. Follow the dosing instructions on the package labeling. If your doctor has given you instructions, follow those. If you are unsure of the dose to give a child, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Benadryl Allergy Ultratabs while you are pregnant. Benadryl Allergy Ultratabs is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Benadryl Allergy Ultratabs.
Possible side effects of Benadryl Allergy Ultratabs:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth, throat, and nose; excitability; thickening of mucus in nose or throat.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); convulsions; fast heartbeat or pounding in the chest; decreased alertness; hallucinations; tremor; wheezing.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include coma; excitement; hallucinations; loss of consciousness; muscle twitching; seizures; tremor; weakness.Proper storage of Benadryl Allergy Ultratabs:
Store Benadryl Allergy Ultratabs at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C), or according to directions on the package label. Store in the original package or container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Benadryl Allergy Ultratabs out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Benadryl Allergy Ultratabs, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Benadryl Allergy Ultratabs is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Benadryl Allergy Ultratabs or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Benadryl Allergy Ultratabs. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Benadryl Allergy Ultratabs. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Benadryl Allergy Ultratabs.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Benadryl Allergy (diphenhydramine)
- Benadryl Allergy Fastmelt dispersible tablets
- Benadryl Allergy chewable tablets
- Benadryl Allergy elixir