Generic Name: balsalazide (bal-SAL-a-zide)
Brand Name: Giazo
Balsalazide tablets are used for:
Treating mildly to moderately active inflammation of the colon (ulcerative colitis) in men. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Balsalazide tablets are an anti-inflammatory. How it works is not fully known. It appears to reduce ulcerative colitis by preventing the production of substances that cause inflammation.
Do NOT use balsalazide tablets if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in balsalazide tablets, to any other aminosalicylate (eg, mesalamine), nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) (eg, ibuprofen, naproxen), or any medicine containing a salicylate (eg, aspirin)
- you are taking probenecid or sulfinpyrazone
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using balsalazide tablets:
Tell your health care provider if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have or have a history of kidney or liver problems
- if you have certain stomach or bowel problems (eg, pyloric stenosis)
- if you are on a low-sodium (salt) diet
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with balsalazide tablets. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any of the following medicines:
- Meglitinide antidiabetics (eg, repaglinide) or sulfonylureas (eg, glipizide) because the risk of low blood sugar may be increased
- Valproic acid because the risk of its side effects may be increased by balsalazide tablets
- Probenecid, spironolactone, or sulfinpyrazone because their effectiveness may be decreased by balsalazide tablets
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if balsalazide tablets may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use balsalazide tablets:
Use balsalazide tablets as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take balsalazide tablets by mouth with or without food.
- If you miss a dose of balsalazide tablets, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use balsalazide tablets.
Important safety information:
- Balsalazide tablets may cause dizziness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use balsalazide tablets with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Some patients may experience an intolerance reaction to balsalazide tablets. Signs of intolerance are very similar to symptoms of an ulcerative colitis flare up or worsening ulcerative colitis symptoms. They may include severe or persistent stomach pain or cramping, bloody diarrhea, fever, headache, or rash. If you experience any of these symptoms, contact your doctor right away.
- If your symptoms do not get better of if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take balsalazide tablets before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Lab tests, including kidney function, may be performed while you use balsalazide tablets. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use balsalazide tablets with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Balsalazide tablets should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using balsalazide tablets while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use balsalazide tablets, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby. Balsalazide tablets are not approved for use in women.
Possible side effects of balsalazide tablets:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Diarrhea; headache; runny or stuffy nose; sore throat; tiredness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); bloody diarrhea; decreased, difficult, or painful urination; fast heartbeat; fever; severe or persistent headache; severe or sudden stomach pain or cramping; shortness of breath; sluggishness; symptoms of liver problems (eg, dark urine, pale stools, persistent loss of appetite, severe stomach pain, yellowing of the skin or eyes); unusual tiredness or weakness.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include bloody vomit; confusion; fast or difficult breathing; loss of hearing; ringing in the ears; seizures; shortness of breath; sluggishness.Proper storage of balsalazide tablets:
Store balsalazide tablets at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Brief storage between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep balsalazide tablets out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about balsalazide tablets, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Balsalazide tablets are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take balsalazide tablets or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about balsalazide tablets. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to balsalazide tablets. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using balsalazide tablets.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about balsalazide
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 16 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: 5-aminosalicylates