User Reviews for Balsalazide

Ulcerative Colitis   6.8
Ulcerative Colitis, Active   6.4

Reviews for Balsalazide

Kate · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 10, 2020

For Ulcerative Colitis: “Not had a flare up of ulcerative colitis since taking the highest dose of balsalazide medication”

Scout · Taken for less than 1 month October 22, 2019

For Ulcerative Colitis: “After three weeks, my sudden onset of ulcerative colitis hasn't cleared up much at all on Balsalazide. I set my alarm to take it three times a day, but my symptoms are still as bad as they were when I first called my doctor. I'm slated for steroids now. Boo!”

Didn’t work · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 19, 2019

For Ulcerative Colitis: “I took Balsalazide off and on for about 5 months. It does not work at all. I have had diarrhea on it as I did before I started taking it. My stomach pain has not improved either. And It’s really annoying to take 9 capsules every single day, they are quite big too. Not effective for me -_-”

Lindanana · Taken for less than 1 month June 7, 2019

For Ulcerative Colitis, Active: “I’ve just started on balsalazide three 750mg capsules three times a day. I was having a Crohns flare up every six months prior to this drug! I’m hoping and praying this med will keep me out of the hospital! I’m currently recovering from an episode and I’m also talking prednisone for two more weeks. I feel wonderful! So far!”

bean · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 6, 2018

For Ulcerative Colitis: “This works well to control UC quickly; 3 BD puts flare-ups in remission within a couple days. I spare my liver & stop taking it as often when I'm otherwise behaving well (diet, exercise, stress mgmt). Interesting that people report rashes as a side effect, as I get rashes only during flares (not related to meds). And it's on Kaiser's (N. Cal) formulary - so thankful!”

Larry · Taken for 10 years or more March 23, 2018

For Ulcerative Colitis: “I've been taken this for 20 yrs. or so works well for me, was taken 9 a day now take I only take 6 a day. It is very good.”

GI blues · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 26, 2017

Colazal (balsalazide) for Ulcerative Colitis: “I took this for about 6-8 month and had the worst flare of my life. Spent 7 days in the hospital.”

Arbuck41 · Taken for less than 1 month October 11, 2017

For Ulcerative Colitis, Active: “Massive diarrhea, rash on trunk area of body, rash above each ear. Extreme flatulence.”

EOK September 23, 2017

For Ulcerative Colitis: “Worst meds for me ever! Stopped at went on Apriso. So much improved!”

Schnok · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 16, 2017

For Ulcerative Colitis: “Almost no symptoms works great”

Tomhh219 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 23, 2014

Colazal (balsalazide) for Ulcerative Colitis: “Didn't help much at all with my symptoms.”

guda · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 23, 2013

For Crohn's Disease: “Got painful red, skin welts. Immediately stopped medication.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 26, 2013

Colazal (balsalazide) for Crohn's Disease: “I have used Colazal for about 5 months and actually stopped taking it for a month in between. When I am on the medication I am fine no with no active symptoms when I stopped it I was fine for a short period of time before it acted up again. I dealt with the symptoms because they were mild. But the moment it got bad I took a dose and things almost instantly got better, now that I am consistently taking my proper dosage. I have no issues at all.”

thewhitechickoj · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 11, 2012

For Ulcerative Colitis: “I take 3 of the 750mg capsules 3 times a day for my ulcerative colitis and have seen that as long as I make sure to take them at the same times every day, then it works very well and flare ups are few. The capsules are easy to swallow and the medication itself has been very easy on my stomach.”

Anonymous January 12, 2012

For Ulcerative Colitis, Active: “It has been excellent in curing my symptoms.”

sherri morris July 7, 2011

Colazal (balsalazide) for Crohn's Disease: “Colazal completely rid me of all Crohn's symptoms after years of suffering. I'm worried now, after 4-5 yrs symptom free I need a kidney transplant. Will I still be able to use it if I get a flare up?”

Anonymous January 27, 2011

Colazal (balsalazide) for Ulcerative Colitis: “Cheaper than some other medicines. It's my wonder drug.”

Anonymous November 24, 2010

Colazal (balsalazide) for Ulcerative Colitis: “This medicine really helped me get in remission about 6 years ago. I'm still taking it as a maintenance drug- but I have been flaring up for the past 2 years while taking it. Prednisone has been my savior as far as the flaring up. Next step...Remicade. We will see how it goes!”

Anonymous May 19, 2009

Colazal (balsalazide) for Crohn's Disease: “I have tried several medications for my Crohn's Disease, including steroids, antibiotics, 6-mp, Entocort, Asacol. After having surgery to remove my ileum, Colazal seems to be the only medication that has helped and not caused any major side effects. From time to time I have flare ups, but overall Colazal seems to be working.”

bob chi town March 13, 2009

For Ulcerative Colitis: “Have taken for over a year with excellent results and no noticeable side effects.”

GYPSIE1 February 18, 2009

For Ulcerative Colitis, Active: “This drug has basically saved my life. I've been hospitalized twice from severe ulcerative colitis. I would not be able to function outside of my home if it was not for this medication. Thank you for all the efforts that went into developing this drug.”

Anonymous September 30, 2008

For Crohn's Disease: “Been on Balsalazide for two weeks and already feel more normal than I have in years. Mouth and skin drier than before and perhaps some increased joint aches, but no more gut pain or headaches and all guts symptoms are markedly better. Wish I knew about this medicine five years ago.”

jamneely August 19, 2008

Colazal (balsalazide) for Ulcerative Colitis: “Helps in-between flareups.”

dbuckusmc April 6, 2008

“I take the generic version of Colazal and have had a lot of success with it. Still have bad days but not nearly as often. I have tried several medicines and treatments (Asacol,Lialda,Entocort,Pentasa...even Remecaid treatments) so far this along with 6 MP,Robinul,and Prednisone have given me the best results.”

Anonymous April 2, 2008

Colazal (balsalazide) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: “Tried for a few months some years ago. No side effects, didn't seem as effective as Asacol for me. Needs specific conditions in the gut to "cleave" into the active medication, I think my particular gut wasn't suited. Beware that not every med will work in everyone, Asacol included. Try meds and observe how you fare.”