User Reviews for Balsalazide to treat Ulcerative Colitis

Also known as: Colazal

Balsalazide has an average rating of 6.8 out of 10 from a total of 14 ratings for the treatment of Ulcerative Colitis. 64% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 29% reported a negative effect.

Balsalazide Rating Summary

6.8/10 average rating

Compare all 116 medications used in the treatment of Ulcerative Colitis.

Reviews for Balsalazide

thewhitechickoj · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 11, 2012

“I take 3 of the 750mg capsules 3 times a day for my ulcerative colitis and have seen that as long as I make sure to take them at the same times every day, then it works very well and flare ups are few. The capsules are easy to swallow and the medication itself has been very easy on my stomach.”

Didn’t work · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 19, 2019

“I took Balsalazide off and on for about 5 months. It does not work at all. I have had diarrhea on it as I did before I started taking it. My stomach pain has not improved either. And It’s really annoying to take 9 capsules every single day, they are quite big too. Not effective for me -_-”

bean · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 6, 2018

“This works well to control UC quickly; 3 BD puts flare-ups in remission within a couple days. I spare my liver & stop taking it as often when I'm otherwise behaving well (diet, exercise, stress mgmt). Interesting that people report rashes as a side effect, as I get rashes only during flares (not related to meds). And it's on Kaiser's (N. Cal) formulary - so thankful!”

Anonymous November 24, 2010

Colazal (balsalazide): “This medicine really helped me get in remission about 6 years ago. I'm still taking it as a maintenance drug- but I have been flaring up for the past 2 years while taking it. Prednisone has been my savior as far as the flaring up. Next step...Remicade. We will see how it goes!”

Scout · Taken for less than 1 month October 22, 2019

“After three weeks, my sudden onset of ulcerative colitis hasn't cleared up much at all on Balsalazide. I set my alarm to take it three times a day, but my symptoms are still as bad as they were when I first called my doctor. I'm slated for steroids now. Boo!”

Larry · Taken for 10 years or more March 23, 2018

“I've been taken this for 20 yrs. or so works well for me, was taken 9 a day now take I only take 6 a day. It is very good.”

Anonymous January 27, 2011

Colazal (balsalazide): “Cheaper than some other medicines. It's my wonder drug.”

GI February 25, 2008

Colazal (balsalazide): “There is new generic version of Colazal now. I was wondering if anyone has used it and found any problems with it vs the brand name drug.”

bob chi town March 13, 2009

“Have taken for over a year with excellent results and no noticeable side effects.”

Kate · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 10, 2020

“Not had a flare up of ulcerative colitis since taking the highest dose of balsalazide medication”

Tomhh219 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 23, 2014

Colazal (balsalazide): “Didn't help much at all with my symptoms.”

GI blues · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 26, 2017

Colazal (balsalazide): “I took this for about 6-8 month and had the worst flare of my life. Spent 7 days in the hospital.”

Schnok · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 16, 2017

“Almost no symptoms works great”

EOK September 23, 2017

“Worst meds for me ever! Stopped at went on Apriso. So much improved!”

jamneely August 19, 2008

Colazal (balsalazide): “Helps in-between flareups.”

Learn more about Ulcerative Colitis