Generic Name: Mupirocin Nasal Ointment (mue PIR oh sin)
Brand Name: Bactroban Nasal
Medically reviewed on Feb 6, 2019
Uses of Bactroban Nasal:
- It is used to treat a bacteria found in nose passages and stop its spread to others.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Bactroban Nasal?
- If you have an allergy to mupirocin or any other part of Bactroban Nasal (mupirocin nasal ointment).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Bactroban Nasal (mupirocin nasal ointment) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Bactroban Nasal?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Bactroban Nasal (mupirocin nasal ointment). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Do not use longer than you have been told. A second infection may happen.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Bactroban Nasal (mupirocin nasal ointment) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Bactroban Nasal) best taken?
Use Bactroban Nasal (mupirocin nasal ointment) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- To gain the most benefit, do not miss doses.
- Keep using Bactroban Nasal (mupirocin nasal ointment) as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
- Do not take Bactroban Nasal (mupirocin nasal ointment) by mouth. Use in your nose only. Keep out of your mouth and eyes (may burn).
- If you get Bactroban Nasal (mupirocin nasal ointment) in any of these areas, rinse well with water.
- Wash your hands before and after use.
- For single use nose ointment, place 1/2 the ointment from the tube into one nostril and the other 1/2 into the other nostril. Press the nostrils at the same time and let go many times (for about a minute) to spread the ointment into the nose.
- Throw away the tube after using. Do not reuse.
- Do not use Bactroban Nasal (mupirocin nasal ointment) with other nose products.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Put on a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not put on 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Irritation where Bactroban Nasal (mupirocin nasal ointment) is used.
- Very bad itching.
- A fast heartbeat.
- A heartbeat that does not feel normal.
- A severe form of diarrhea called C diff-associated diarrhea (CDAD) has happened with most antibiotics. Sometimes, this can be deadly. This may happen while using the antibiotic or within a few months after you stop using it. Call your doctor right away if you have stomach pain or cramps, very loose or watery stools, or bloody stools. Do not try to treat diarrhea without first checking with your doctor.
What are some other side effects of Bactroban Nasal?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Bactroban Nasal?
- Store at room temperature. Do not refrigerate or freeze.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Bactroban Nasal (mupirocin nasal ointment), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Bactroban Nasal (mupirocin topical)
- Bactroban Nasal Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Compare Alternatives
- Drug class: topical antibiotics