Alahist LQ liquid
Generic Name: diphenhydramine/phenylephrine (DYE-fen-HYE-dra-meen/FEN-il-EF-rin)
Brand Name: Examples include Alahist LQ and PediaCare Children's NightRest
Alahist LQ liquid is used for:
Temporarily relieving symptoms of hay fever, allergies, or the common cold, including nasal congestion, runny nose, sneezing, itching of the nose and throat, and itchy/watery eyes. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Alahist LQ liquid is an antihistamine and decongestant combination. The antihistamine works by blocking the action of histamine, which helps reduce symptoms such as watery eyes and sneezing. The decongestant promotes sinus and nasal drainage, relieving congestion and pressure.
Do NOT use Alahist LQ liquid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Alahist LQ liquid
- you are taking sodium oxybate (GHB) or you have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine) within the past 14 days
- you have severe high blood pressure, severe heart blood vessel disease, a rapid heartbeat, or severe heart problems
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Alahist LQ liquid:
Some medical conditions may interact with Alahist LQ liquid. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat
- if you have a history of glaucoma; high blood pressure; diabetes; heart problems; ulcers; stroke; asthma; an overactive thyroid; seizures; a blockage of the stomach, bowel, or bladder; trouble breathing when you sleep; trouble sleeping; lung problems (eg, emphysema); the blood disease porphyria; an enlarged prostate or other prostate problems; adrenal gland problems; or blood vessel problems; or if you have difficulty urinating
- if you are on a low salt (sodium) diet
- if you have a chronic cough or if your cough occurs with large amounts of mucus
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Alahist LQ liquid. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) inhibitors (eg, tolcapone), indomethacin, furazolidone, MAOIs (eg, phenelzine), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because side effects such as severe headache, high blood pressure, or high fever may occur
- Bromocriptine or sodium oxybate (GHB) because the risk of their side effects or toxic effects may be increased by Alahist LQ liquid
- Guanethidine, guanadrel, mecamylamine, methyldopa, or reserpine because their effectiveness may be decreased by Alahist LQ liquid.
- Digoxin or droxidopa because side effects such as irregular heartbeat or heart attack may occur
- Urinary alkalinizers (eg, sodium bicarbonate) because they may increase the risk of Alahist LQ liquid's side effects
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Alahist LQ liquid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Alahist LQ liquid:
Use Alahist LQ liquid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Alahist LQ liquid by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Alahist LQ liquid and are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Alahist LQ liquid.
Important safety information:
- Alahist LQ liquid may cause dizziness or drowsiness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Alahist LQ liquid with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Check with your doctor before you drink alcohol or use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Alahist LQ liquid; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Contact your health care provider if symptoms last for more than 7 days, get worse, or occur with fever, rash, or persistent headache.
- Diabetes patients - Alahist LQ liquid may affect your blood sugar. Check blood sugar levels closely. Ask your doctor before you change the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Alahist LQ liquid contains phenylephrine and diphenhydramine. Before you begin taking any new prescription or nonprescription medicine, including medicine used on the skin, read the ingredients to see if it has phenylephrine or diphenhydramine in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
- Alahist LQ liquid may interfere with skin allergy tests. If you are scheduled for a skin test, talk to your doctor. You may need to stop taking Alahist LQ liquid for a few days before the tests.
- Do not take diet or appetite control medicines while you are taking Alahist LQ liquid without checking with your doctor.
- Do not use Alahist LQ liquid for a cough with a lot of mucous. Do not use it for a long-term cough (eg, caused by asthma, emphysema, smoking). However, you may use it for these conditions if your doctor tells you to.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If you have trouble sleeping, ask your pharmacist or doctor about the best time of day to take Alahist LQ liquid.
- Use Alahist LQ liquid with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Alahist LQ liquid is not recommended for use in NEWBORNS; safety and effectiveness have not been confirmed.
- Different brands of Alahist LQ liquid may have different dosing instructions for CHILDREN. Follow the dosing instructions on the package labeling. If your doctor has given you instructions, follow those. If you are unsure of the dose to give a child, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Caution is advised when using Alahist LQ liquid in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially excitability.
- PREGNANCY AND BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Alahist LQ liquid while you are pregnant. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Alahist LQ liquid, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Alahist LQ liquid:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth, nose, or throat; excitability (especially in children); headache; loss of appetite; nausea; nervousness; restlessness; trouble sleeping; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blurred vision; chest pain; decreased coordination; difficulty urinating; fast or irregular heartbeat; fever; hallucinations; seizure; severe dizziness or drowsiness; severe nervousness, anxiety, or restlessness; tremors; unusual weakness.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include bluish-colored skin; difficulty breathing; dilated pupils; fast or irregular heartbeat; fever; flushing; hallucinations; mental or mood changes; seizures; severe drowsiness or dizziness; severe excitability; severe nausea or vomiting; sweating; tremors.Proper storage of Alahist LQ liquid:
Store Alahist LQ liquid at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Alahist LQ liquid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Alahist LQ liquid, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Alahist LQ liquid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Alahist LQ liquid or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Alahist LQ liquid. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Alahist LQ liquid. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Alahist LQ liquid.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Alahist LQ (diphenhydramine / phenylephrine)
- Other brands: Aldex-CT, PediaCare Children's Allergy & Cold, Triaminic Night Time Cold & Cough, Pediatex-CT, More (7) »