Generic Name: dexbrompheniramine (DEX-brome-fen-IR-a-meen)
Brand Name: Ala-Hist IR
Ala-Hist IR is used for:
Temporary relief of runny nose, sneezing, itchy nose or throat, and itchy, watery eyes due to hay fever or other allergies. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Ala-Hist IR is an antihistamine. It works by blocking the action of histamine, a chemical released during allergic reactions.
Do NOT use Ala-Hist IR if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Ala-Hist IR
- you are taking sodium oxybate (GHB) or you have taken a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine) in the past 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Ala-Hist IR:
Some medical conditions may interact with Ala-Hist IR. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of heart problems, high blood pressure, glaucoma or increased pressure in the eye, or thyroid problems
- if you have a chronic cough or a history of asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), or other lung or breathing problems (eg, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, sleep apnea)
- if you have a blockage of your bladder, stomach, or bowels; trouble urinating; or prostate problems (eg, enlarged prostate)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Ala-Hist IR. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Barbiturates (eg, phenobarbital), MAOIs (eg, phenelzine), perampanel, sodium oxybate (GHB), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because the risk of severe drowsiness may be increased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Ala-Hist IR may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Ala-Hist IR:
Use Ala-Hist IR as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Ala-Hist IR by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- If you miss a dose of Ala-Hist IR and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Ala-Hist IR.
Important safety information:
- Ala-Hist IR may cause dizziness or drowsiness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Ala-Hist IR with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using Ala-Hist IR.
- Check with your doctor before you use medicine that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Ala-Hist IR; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or take for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 7 days, if they get worse, or if they occur along with a fever, check with your doctor.
- Ala-Hist IR may interfere with skin allergy tests. If you are scheduled for a skin test, talk to your doctor. You may need to stop taking Ala-Hist IR for a few days before the tests.
- Use Ala-Hist IR with caution in the ELDERLY because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Ala-Hist IR should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 6 years old without first checking with the child's doctor; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Ala-Hist IR while you are pregnant. It is not known if Ala-Hist IR is excreted in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Ala-Hist IR.
Possible side effects of Ala-Hist IR:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth, throat, and nose.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); fast or irregular heartbeat; mental or mood changes; shortness of breath; sore throat; unusual bleeding or bruising; unusual tiredness or weakness.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Ala-Hist IR:
Store Ala-Hist IR at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Ala-Hist IR out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Ala-Hist IR, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Ala-Hist IR is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Ala-Hist IR or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Ala-Hist IR. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Ala-Hist IR. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Ala-Hist IR.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.