Is it OK to take Miralax every day for long period of time?

Official Answer Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Aug 27, 2020.

Polyethylene glycol 3350 (Miralax) is used as a laxative to treat occasional constipation or irregular bowel movements. It should only be used for a short time. Talk to your doctor or Pharmacist about a safer long term laxative.

https://www.drugs.com/cg/constipation-discharge-care.html
https://www.drugs.com/health-guide/constipation-and-impaction.html

nightprowler1961 8 Nov 2010

I have tryed everthing know to man,my doctor/a gastro. doc. is the one who wanted me too take it 2 time per day,because 1 per day wasn't working.So i have to disagree with you.Sorry my spelling is bad,I'M relearning to spell,and everthing eles in life,due to 72 weeks of Peggasy and interferon treatment for Hep. C I all most didn't live thur that.But i have been cheating death my whole life.I hope i can help someone here,I need that to make my self feel better.

sborucki 9 Feb 2015

I think you are fine. Miralax has been a lifesaver for my 8 year old. I took him to a pediatric gastro at 3 years old because ever since he has been on table food he screams and cries when he has to go. I feared celiac disease. He was tested and and is negative. His gastro put him on Miralax adult dose everyday since she diagnosed him with chronic constipation. If he misses a dose or two we definitely know it. It's still so painful he cries and I have cried with him. His pediatrician knows he's on it daily and backs up the gastro so as long as the docs agree and my boy can have a happy healthy day I am trusting they know what they are doing. The gastro actually tole me Miralax can be given to babies as young as 3 month and you can take it the rest of your life.

sborucki 9 Feb 2015

Also my son is the best eater in the house. I have to fix veggies no one else eats because he LOVES them so it's not his diet. Just got the chronic constipation card dealt his way.

takehoe 18 Jul 2015

4 years ago, after my colonoscopy, my GI doctor told me to take 1 dose of Myralax everyday for the rest of my life. I did so for months, and it worked so well that... of course... I stopped using it. Long story short, 2 years later a new doc was treating me for similar issues and I told him about the previous doc's recommendation. My new doc flatly agreed with the previous one and told me to get on it. I had forgotten how much more easy life is because of this prescription. At the end of the day, IF YOUR DOCTOR recommends it, believe he or she knows what he/she is talking about. Just do it.

Cmidley 5 Nov 2015

My youngest don struggled with constipation at 3 months of age. He was breastfed only, but it didn't matter. I ate fiber rich foods, no change. Once he was old enough for solids, we tried high fiber foods again; no change. We started on miralax at 3 months old. We still give him 1.5 tsp per day and he's three years old. From one who has been there, frankly, there are two options in my opinion. 1. No miralax with high fiber diet and deal with a screaming, hurting child who CANNOT produce a bowl movement. 2. Provide a daily dose of miralax and have a happy, regular (bowels) child. I personally will take the latter. Best of luck to you all!!!

maeprof 14 Apr 2017

Miralax is completely safe. I give it to my cat that suffers chronic constipation. It works great for her and was the only thing that works for her.

Ruby1933 19 Apr 2017

My daughter had chronic constipation from about 4 months old. Our per told us to use miralax at a very small dose daily. It worked, and we stopped after she potty trained. But looking back on it, it was dairy causing it (try NO dairy for one month before ruling it out) from me eating it and breastfeeding and then she ate it once old enough.
Now she has chronically loose stools and I'm sure it's due to the long term (over a year) use of miralax.
Now I know better and wish someone would have recommended to me Vitamin C daily. Just enough to loosen the stool without causing diarrhea.
VITAMIN C people. Don't use miralax if you don't have to. No dairy, too.

Allypoo 5 May 2017

Miralax is definitely safe to use on a daily basis according to any and all of the gastroenterolgists I have seen in the past or seeing currently. The daily use is much safer than using Senacot and stool softeners every day.

Debbiewilliams1967 25 Sep 2017

I've took it for years my husband wonders because of my age now 50 if that is causing small tears, skin redness and puffiness between my vaginia and my anus. I can't stop taking a capful daily. It's the only thing that works. GI doctors knows and so does all my other doctors know. It's the best product for me. I was taking many of stool softeners daily before to keep going like a few times a week. Now I go daily at least once a day a little or a lot is better then getting backed up?

ParkerMac19 21 Dec 2017

Yea I use it daily for chronic constipation. It has saved my life. I've been sick for 10 years and in so much pain. I would go 1-2 MONTHS! Between bowel movements and when I went to the ER once a doc finally put me on Miralax a few times a day for a few days, until regular and then once a day. Sometimes I even have to move to every other day. But I believe it's safer than the alternative .

lking2619 22 Jul 2010

My son who is going to be 4 in September has been taking adult doses of MiraLax everyday for the past year and a half. The doctors do not seem to think that there is any problem in this (they are the ones who put him on the medication at the dosage he is taking), so I think it is pretty safe to say that it is okay to take MiraLax for a long period of time. My best suggestion would be to check with your doctor before taking any medication for a long period of time on your own.

kathydpa_10956 7 Nov 2010

Excuse me for commenting, but your son is 4 and taking adult doses of Miralax? Why? Is he bedridden or other? This concerns me greatly and can't help wonder why any doctor would do this. I would think a diet of pears and other fiber rich foods would be better for your son. Please check with your local pharmacist and ask if this is correct. Take care.

lking2619 7 Nov 2010

Thank you for your comment. Actually we tried fiber rich foods, but that did not help at all. When we first found out that my son was completely impacted(two years ago), the doctor put him on Milk of Mag. However, this did not help either. It was another pedi gastroenterologist that put him on the Miralax. It took forever for that to begin working. Now, my son is doing better. His dosage is down to 1 cap every other day (to keep him going). I asked the doctor about the dosage that my son was on, and was told that Miralax is one of the safest drugs to take for chronic costipation over a long period of time. I still did not like the dosage. If we go too much longer than every other day without the medicine, my son gets constipated again. He eats the proper amount of fiber, but it doesn't keep him regular. Even prunes do not help.

nightprowler1961 8 Nov 2010

I have been on miralax everday for two years,at one point i was told to take two per day,because 1 wasn't working,that is when i started thinking there has to be a better way.As i have had this problym as long as i can rember,and I'm NOW 49 YEAR OLD.anyway i found a gr8 way to get my self going ever day,mostly 2 time per morning,and i feel i need to tell everone i know.Smothys i make my self,and i will try to give you my recipte,my spelling is awfull though,but here i go.I mix 2 of my favore yogerts 6oz 2 or 3 bannas,some can peaches,pineapple,10 cherrys,with a bit of cherry juces,and a tray of ice.Drop in the blender and mix real well.I have yet to find anyone that don't LOVE this cold drink.Be carefull that you don't burn up blender,i went through 2 old style blenders,Then i bought a 1 Hp/750 watt blender off of ebay,man it is load but it gets it done fast.Back in the summer i would use fresh fruits.I also mix my mirlax with my 1st glass and i drink 1 or 2 ...

pitcher per day.I just finished 72 weeks treatment for hep c and i was so very sick,this drink saved my life,b cause i couldn't stand to eat real food,it also got me up and moving,I make this drink for my whole family.You get your 5 fruits per day.I'm new to this site,was a member 3 years ago,when i was battling my herion addtion,but i lost that pass word,so if you need to ask me anything,i'll check in as often as i can.Good luck to the lady with the small child,He should love the drink.

lking2619 8 Nov 2010

Thank you for the advice. Actually, we have tried smoothies for my son, but he will not drink them. He doesn't even like ice cream. I think it's the texture. But I am always up for trying again.

candygirl6677 8 Dec 2010

I have a 12 year old son that was having problems with constipation and his pediatrician put him on miralax daily also. She did every 2 months check ups with him and she just recently instructed me to give it to him every other day now. But it works for him and its been a little over a year now.

flowergirl669 23 Nov 2011

My husband is in Chemo and is taking Prednazone with treatment. He has been hospitalized 4 times for intestinal blockage. His Oncologist put him on Miralax for enhanced regularity once he was dis-impacted. A wonderful nurse suggested that we use Miralax in "hot" liquid (tea, coffee, hot chocolate, soup). No more gritty taste. Wonderful... he has had no more pooh problems. Good luck, I hope this helps someone.

Presh80 9 Nov 2013

My daughter is 4 and she is also on miralax twice a day. Like your son if I take her off the Miralax she is stop up. She has been hospitalized behind the constipation. It concerns we as well for her to take the Miralax so often, but her GI doctor also feels its safe.

MsViv48 30 Nov 2013

Wanted to share this info I learned as a nurse. The longer you take laxatives the longer you will need them. Your body forgets how to do things on it's own when it depends on medicines. If your son has only gone because of Miralax for a year and a half you need to find out how to wean him off of it letting his body learn how to do it on his own like nature intended.
Did you read what is normal for a person? Maybe his normal is less often. If he goes a good bit, maybe you are forcing his body to clean out so it will take a few days to fill up again.

Nicoledanieal 18 May 2014

I was prescribed by my the DR the same dosage and now I am down to once every other day. Fiber does nothing for me but constipated me worse. I fly for a living. I've been on miralax for a year now and it has improved my life tremendously.

Bluesun 12 Jan 2015

My 4 year old has had constipation issues from the time he started eating slid foods. And he's been on Miralax ever since and it concerns me and causes some fear as to if it can stump his growth in some way or cause his body to become dependent on this treatment/drug. But he's also been hospitalized for impacted poops and needed a barium enema (talk about a blow out) and don't want it to get to that point again because it must be harsh on his little body. And let it be known we've tried it all as well such as prunes, fiber rich foods and we've even got him on a gluten free/dairy free diet for the past year now and it hasn't helped his constipation. I'm a vegetarian myself and he (my 4 year old boy) rarely eats meat. He does get Goat Yogurt and even want to take him off that but being 4 we don't want to restrict his diet too much. He gets daily vitamins/minerals and probiotics too. So if anyone out there has found a similar case and a solution let us know.

roosky 3 Mar 2015

I'm 37 yrs old and 10 years ago something happened in my GI system. "locked down" doesn't matter what I eat... clean green OR high whole wheat, I've tried all the diets. Miralax is the ONLY thing that lets me go! It's been a life saver! 1 cap every day... I've been to several GI docs, tested for celiac, 2 colonoscopies, nothing found other than a healthy GI, that won't work! If anyone out there finds answers that might help please pass along. I have concerns of the long-term use of ANY drug... Blessings.

Notsofunnylady 6 Apr 2016

Please try something like "juice plus"in children's version.

Jean savage 10 Apr 2017

In 2012 I had a bad fall and compression fractures . Spinal dr put me on opioids for pain relief. I became so costipated I eventually had blocked intestines and surgery. Wish I had been using Mira lax then.

Amy at Chow 27 Feb 2018

iI am a chair bound massive stroke victim of 10 years now & have always had chronic constipation. I take Miralax daily and as long as I consume enough water I have more regular bowel movements than ever before. Water consumption is very important for Miralax to work!

jennasmom1 20 Jul 2013

From my experiece with my daughter. Miralax is pure POISON!

Iluvourboys2 15 Oct 2017

You should get on the Facebook page of Parents Against Miralax. They are in contact with the FDA. There have been many adverse effects reported. Many share the health issues their children/babies have had. They send the info to the FDA so it's documented. They have also responded.

Kingbuba 26 Jul 2016

After spine surgery my gastroenterologist told me it is fine for daily use. Basically it just draws water into the colon to keep the stool soft sort of like a stool softener.

If you have ever been impacted you will know soft stool is important.

Billgriggs 23 Sep 2016

I was put on it "when needed" lately I get short of breath and even light headed and feel better when I take it, worried about Heart, but blood pressure is good and Doctor just says it's my IBS, when it feels like something is constricting my heart. Anyone else relate?

Philly115 1 Oct 2016

Yea I've had my heart start racing and I'll get lightheaded, but after I use the restroom having a BM made it better. I'll start to get numb on my left side of my body. It's really scary, but I've been checked at the doc for everything heart, brain etc and they say everything is normal.

sharondiane 2 Nov 2016

My gastroenterologist told me the same, that it is just fine to take Miralax every day.

Lmbirnie 22 Mar 2017

I have been using Miralax for years upon the doctor's recommendation, and it has saved my life of chronic constipation. Taking it twice a day seems to do the job. I usually have a bowel movement every day when following that regimen. It may cause dependability but it has embettered my quality of life by one hundred percent. When fiber, fruits, prunes, vegetables, water, exercise, etc... don't work, I have no choice but to use Miralax.

bhhill 23 Jun 2017

My general practitioner just told me to use Myralax (or a generic substitute) daily because I have had 2 episodes of diverticulitis. I explained that I am regular and my stool is soft - sometimes so much that I have to run to the bathroom. I can't imagine what life is going to be like taking a laxative on a daily basis. I came to this thread looking for reasons why I might not take my doctor's advice.

Lisha4me 11 Oct 2017

I was diagnosed with IBS about 5 years ago and severe anemia 1 year ago. I have several bowel movements daily but It's a slow drawn out process. I'm inclined to say that's more so close to being constipated. After the onset on the anemia, I felt all of the symptoms you mentioned such as a racing heart, light headedness, warmth and tingling all over; not all the time, very randomly and thhat's whats puzzling me. My question for you all is, did the Miralax help those symptoms as well as the constipation?

CharPol 23 Sep 2017

I am a senior citizen who was instructed by my gastroenterologist a number of years ago to take MiraLax every day the rest of my life due to a history of constipation and a bout with diverticulitis.
Recently while visiting family for a week in another state, I didn't take the time to take MiraLax. The night after arriving home I was admitted into the hospital with a Small Bowel Blockage, worse pain than child birth. Fortunately it resolved itself after a few days in the hospital, avoiding surgery. In my case, I prefer taking MiraLax the rest of my life which is far less dangerous than diverticulitis, bowel blockage, pain and possible surgery. I have tried high fiber, large amounts of water, and all of the other things that work for other people, but not for me. We're all different.

Mgeor18 4 Nov 2017

My mom is 84 she had been told by doctors to take miralax for the long term. It has now been 10 yrs. I think her mind is going now. She gets easily flustered, panicky, paranoid and scared. She has never been like this. She’s been like this for 6 months and it came all of a sudden. Some people think it’s dementia or Alzheimer’s.
Does miralax cause trouble with the mind?

CharPol 4 Nov 2017

I am 82 and forgetful, but I was that way before taking Miralax every day. My 84 year old friend has lost a good part of her memory and has never taken Miralax. Whether Miralax contributes to dementia or Alzheimers I don't know. Researching for any studies relating to Miralax and loss of memory/mood change might be a good idea. Also researching side effects of any other prescriptions taken might be helpful.

Chris877 13 Nov 2017

I am 60 years old and had trouble with IBS most of my adult life. I have tried about everything including years at the Gastroenterologist. They gave me all of the expensive drugs and nothing seemed to work and most with negative side effects. I tried high fiber drinking lots of water, high fiber foods, etc. I found actually high fiber worsened my IBS to a severe painful level to where I thought I was having heart attacks and have go to the doctor or ER. Laxatives? Trfied them all only to cause my constipation to go to the totally opposite. My whole digestive system would get out of wack and take weeks to get back to abnormal. I was always dealing with stomach pain due to constipation and bloating. When I ate anything even a little I would be in distress. I finally tried some Miralax about 2 months ago. What a life saver it has been. I generally have been pain free and have been able to have daily BM's.

I too worry about taking it on an extended basis but after reading some of these comments feel better about doing so. Yes, I know I should check with my doctor of which I will shortly. At present I only have to take it every 2-3 days or when I get to feeling blocked up. Thanks again for your comments.

No more PEG 6 Sep 2018

Fiber can be confusing; there are a couple types of fiber and too much of one or the other can be constipating. Soluble and insoluble fiber are very beneficial to our health. I would take the time the know the difference; miralax use long term is NOT healthy. I agree, it sure beats a bowel obstruction, however, you shouldn’t need the miralax!!

bethatone 30 Nov 2017

So for someone who has chronic stomach issues.I have been taking miralax daily for a long time the only side effect is it makes me gain water weight .Due to the fact that it absorbs water into the colon.Which for easy bathroom time is worth it to me.

For the parents of the kids with bowel issues.
Some things that helped me as a kid were:
*Rubbing my stomach from right to left then left to right with slight pressure
*taking benifiber
*not eating as much sugar breads or milk products(I'm not intolerant to them just helps my body to not eat them as much)
*Warm baths
*laying on your stomach

Jeaniii50 18 Dec 2017

I have been talking it for 1+ years. I was told to drink a lot of water also. My problem is that when it does start to work that I cannot stop going. The stool is so soft, almost like diarrhea. No matter how much I try to regulate dosage nothing keeps the runs away. Every other day doesn't work, lower doses doesn't work, just can't seem to get a normal, solid, consistent bowel movement. If I do not take the Miralax then I get very impacted with stool. Embarrassing but I need to do digital removal to get things moving . Having diarrhea is very irritating to the rectum and hemorrhoids. Tucks, hemorrhoid creams, etc just don't work for the severe burning irritation irritation. Doctor gave me prescription cream also. I just can't seem to find a happy medium. Anyone else have this problem?

CharPol 19 Dec 2017

So sorry to hear about your dilemma. Cutting Miralax dosage and spreading them days apart helped me from being too loose. Since I was having irregular heart beats my cardiologist suggested I take over the counter magnesium. Forgot to ask him how much, so I started taking two 400 mg capsules with food twice a day. Whoa, worked as well as Miralax. Had to back off to two a day. My heart and bowels are now regular. Wonder if that would help you. Believe Milk of Magnesia is derived from magnesium.

Maria Lagillardaie 30 Jun 2018

I have had similar experiences. I relate to digital removal and it is embarrassing! I've been on Miralax for several years and have been experiencing the listed side effects (i.e. nausea,l bloating, stomach pain, major abdominal cramps, etc.) I also take magnesium which gives me the runs. I should stop this, but I''m paranoid I won't be able to go. I also experience rectal bleeding every now and then.

CharPol 30 Jun 2018

Up date on my previous comment regarding magnesium taking the place of Miralax. Magnesium worked great in the beginning but I was taking way too much as it started acting like a laxative. I then stopped taking it five months ago and still have loose bowel movements two to four times a morning. I had been taking magnesium oxide which I learned was the most likely to cause diarrhea especially in the dosage I started out with. I will probably go to a gastrointerologist if the loose bowels continue. At least now I don't have to take Miralax or magnesium t this point.

Golfs4us 25 Jul 2018

I have had chronic constipation my entire life also. A couple years ago my gastrin ologist also recommended a daily dose of Miralax. It has worked wonders for me! It also gave me diarrhea. My Dr. recommended that I take 4 fiber laxative pills daily with the Miralax to bulk up the stool. The fiber laxative jar says gentle enough for everyday use and it is a natural action of fiber. It has worked perfect for me!

Mandi33 26 Jan 2018

Ok I'm going to try to make this as short as possible... I take Miralax everyday sometimes 2 times a day. When I take it twice a day it feels like I'm dehydrated even though I'm drinking a ton of water( half my body weight). I'm going to contradict myself or sounds backwards but there's a reason... If a doctor prescribes this to you and says it safe then go ahead and do it but listen to your body. If a doctor did not prescribe it I would not do it until you get permission. Taking a laxative on a daily basis is going to stop your intestines from Contracting on their own and that is a bigger problem than probably what you're dealing with. Unless your intestines aren't working (like mine isn't) and not Contracting on it's own, then by all means, you probably need to take something. But definitely do not listen to these people telling you oh I give it to my child it's under doctor supervision it must be okay...

NO! IT'S NOT OKAY, THINK ABOUT IT... IF IT STOPS OUR DIGESTIVE SYSTEM FROM CONTRACTING ON ITS OWN, WHAT DO YOU THINK IT'S DOING TO A SMALL CHILD? ..AND THEN THEY'LL HAVE TO DEAL WITH THIS FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES BECAUSE THEIR PARENTS AREN'T THINKING ABOUT THE FUTURE AND THE HEALTH OF THEIR CHILD IN THE FUTURE. THERE ARE OTHER THINGS TO GIVE YOUR CHILD THAT ARE SAFER. Ex.. mineral oil is great for occasional use. AND I WOULD BE CHANGING DIET MORE THAN I WOULD BE GIVING MEDICINE!! Stop feeding your kids un- nutritional food like McDonald's Happy Meals and ramen noodles and fish sticks!! They need fruits and veggies, more veggies than fruits!! And there's all kinds of ways to dress them up to make them more appealing to a child! TRUST ME, I have 5 kids and my daughter went through the same, from birth on... I DON'T CARE WHAT PROBLEM YOU'RE GOING THROUGH YOU CAN FIND THE RIGHT FOODS TO HELP YOU GO TO THE BATHROOM DAILY THAT'S ALSO WITH ANY OTHER DISEASE OR ILLNESSES DIET HAS A LOT TO DO WITH IT! SORRY I WAS IN MY SPEAK TO TEXT AND FOR SOME REASON IT GOT STUCK ON CAPS.

roosky 14 Feb 2018

I hope I can help anyone reading this post. I suffered from constipation from when I was a kid to now a male adult late 30's. I tried most every laxative on the market to have occasional relief. I tried to eat healthy, lots of whole grains(i.e. fiber), fruits, and veggies. I was very active teen, high-school football, basketball track, wrestling and maintain a healthy lifestyle as an adult running marathons. In my 30's STILL having problems and was taking Miralax every day with my morning shakes. I would buy Miralax at Costco by the cases and told myself "this will be my lifestyle forever" if they ever quit selling Miralax I'm in trouble. I had 2 colonoscopies in my late 20's worried this could be signs of colon cancer or crohn's but findings came back clear. The Doctors didn't have any answers other than "some people have different digestive issues than others".

I still wasn't happy with the answers and continued to look for answers even started to pray for answers to come. Then the thought came to me that I may be allergic to the foods I've been told are healthy. I completely cut grain & dairy products in every form and I found NON-WHEY shakes that are VEGGIE based like VEGA ONE and other brands. I take two shakes a day and eat one simple healthy meal. This has 100% solved my problems! I haven't used Miralax in a few years. I'm healthy, low body weight(heavy genetics in my family) and feel better than ever. To give up bread and dairy products at first I thought, WHY? they are good for you. I learned that for me - THEY ARE NOT! I hope this helps someone else out there suffering like I was. Blessings.

Graaaa 28 Mar 2018

Thanks @roosky, I think you’re answer really helped a lot and I’ll have to give your advice a try. I have been prescribed MiraLax and been taking a couple doses a day. It works when I take it but I’ve been concerned if my body will just depend on it and not be able to function on it’s own in the long run. Anyways,I’m still a pretty young teen so I would definitely like a better alternative. So, thanks for taking the time to write your experience to help others who are in the same boat :).

MBAJim 2 Apr 2018

"I DON'T CARE WHAT PROBLEM YOU'RE GOING THROUGH YOU CAN FIND THE RIGHT FOODS TO HELP YOU GO TO THE BATHROOM DAILY THAT'S ALSO WITH ANY OTHER DISEASE OR ILLNESSES DIET HAS A LOT TO DO WITH IT!" What total bull. I have advanced M.S., I haven't been outside since last Oct., everyday I have to take 16 different pills, 2-of them are opioids for pain, these are known to cause constipation! I'm on a very, very low-carb. diet, but I still get between 110 g - 150 g of fiber everyday from Metamucil. I also have to take 2-doses of MiraLAX daily. If I miss these doses, I am clogged solid... I have not found anything that works as well as MiraLAX. MiraLAX is a Godsend!!!

MrsSmith379 26 Jun 2018

@Roosky
Could you be a little more informative about the nonwhey "Veggie" protein powders. Such as brand or name?

Cyndola 11 Jan 2019

Miralax is NOT a laxative. It is a stool softener. There is a big difference in how they affect the bowel.

Leaflet 2 Apr 2018

I am on a medication for the long term that causes severe constipation. I have no choice but to take a laxative for the long term as I have absolutely no motility without one. Miralax I was told by my two physicians was without a doubt the safest choice and does not promote dependence or tolerance as other laxatives do. The problem I am having is finding a dose that creates consistent results that I can rely on every day to avoid an embarrassing accident. I am experimenting, but it is hard to find a solution that either does not confine one to home morning or evening or doesn't leave one questioning whether they have eliminated completely. Any suggestions welcome.

sa7375 9 Apr 2018

In fact, I have the same question: that is how long can one take it continuously. And this becomes more relevant when the Directions on the bottle itself clearly prescribes "Take no more than 7 days". How is that to be interpreted?

lcolombo 18 Aug 2018

Mt Gastroenterologist Dr. told me that I can take Miralax , if needed, up to twice a day. I very seldom do that and when I take it every day I only use 1/2 of the normal dosage. It has work form me wonders. After a few days taking it every day I can go to once every other day and see how it works and adjust the dosage accordingly..(I tried 1/3 dosage and it works also... (once that's in in your system) It has been a life saver..no more constipation..

chas521 7 Nov 2018

It's OK when your gastro doc says it's OK. Miralax softens your stools so it can be a little messy when cleaning yourself with paper. I spoke to my gastro doc about taking Konsyl - similar to Metamucil but better - with Miralax to keep your stools more solid and avoid the mess. He said fine to take both. Konsyl is psyllium fiber so it's safe to take every day and does not create dependence. Do a Google search for Konsyl but buy it at Walmart - much cheaper.

KayceLyne 22 May 2019

I'm on Miralax Twice a day prescribed by my gastro and I'm taking it with lemonade anybody got any tips on a 8 or 16oz bottle that is sturdy plastic and won't begin to get crushed after the first use currently using a little cheap water bottle been using it for a couple of days and its already almost completely crushed from nothing but me gripping the bottle and shaking it to mix it in

Dave Wissler 17 Sep 2019

I don't know the answer to this question, that is why I looked up information on Miralax

Mojob55 17 Sep 2019

I have and it didn't work all the time! Very disappointing too! I did Lax a clear with the MiraLax & went all day, until the next morning and it ended up hurting my bum!