What is the maximum dosage for Colace stool softener at one time?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Oct 24, 2022.
I took 400 mg at one time. I have chronic constipation and nothing works except for magnesium citrate. I don't have a bowel movement unless I use magnesium citrate because the Colace doesn't work. I don't use magnesium citrate every day, only to prevent my poo from backing up too long. I was told that if the poo backs up too far and reaches the other end of my colon such as the appendix that all of my organs will shut down. Is this true? I don't want to die from not being able to have a bowel movement. Any answers or suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.
The maximum adult dose of Colace is 400mg daily - either as one dose or in divided doses.
It sounds as though you are suffering from chronic constipation. Have you talked to your doctor about this? Prolonged, excessive use of laxatives can make your constipation worse as your gut can become reliant on the laxative. Excessive use of laxatives can also cause diarrhoea and fluid imbalance which can damage your kidneys.
For more information on constipation see:
Related medical questions
- The Do's and Don'ts of Treating Constipation
- Which drugs cause opioid-induced constipation?
- Can antibiotics cause constipation?
- When is the best time to take MiraLAX?
- Can ibuprofen cause constipation?
- Does gabapentin cause constipation?
- What type of pain does fibromyalgia cause?
- Does tramadol cause constipation?
- Fleet Enema - What is the difference between constipation and fecal impaction?
- Amitiza - how long does it take to work? Is it better to take after dinner?
- Can Adderall cause constipation?
Related support groups
- Colace (15 questions, 12 members)
- Magnesium Citrate (38 questions, 75 members)
- Constipation (212 questions, 596 members)