Tums Chewy Bites Side Effects
Generic name: calcium carbonate
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Sep 7, 2020.
Note: This document contains side effect information about calcium carbonate. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Tums Chewy Bites.
For the Consumer
Applies to calcium carbonate: oral tablet
Other dosage forms:
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
- Signs of high calcium levels like weakness, confusion, feeling tired, headache, upset stomach and throwing up, constipation, or bone pain.
- Mood changes.
What are some other side effects of this drug?
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Stomach pain.
- Not hungry.
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to calcium carbonate: compounding powder, oral capsule, oral gum, oral powder, oral suspension, oral tablet, oral tablet chewable
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Hypercalcemia
Very rare (less than 0.01%): Loss of appetite, milk-alkali syndrome
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Hypercalciuria
Very rare (less than 0.01%): Renal impairment[Ref]
Very rare (less than 0.01%): Continuous headache[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Unusual tiredness or weakness[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Muscular weakness[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Calci-Chew (calcium carbonate)." R & D Laboratories Inc, Marina Del Rey, CA.
2. Cerner Multum, Inc. "Australian Product Information." O 0
3. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
More about Tums Chewy Bites (calcium carbonate)
Related treatment guides
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.