Tornalate Side Effects
Generic name: bitolterol
Note: This document contains side effect information about bitolterol. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Tornalate.
Applies to bitolterol: inhalation aerosol, inhalation solution
Tachycardia has been reported in 3.7% of patients, palpitations in 3.1% of patients, and irregular pulse in 1.2% of patients. Higher dosages of bitolterol (the active ingredient contained in Tornalate) should be used with caution in patients with cardiac disease, arrhythmias, or hypertension.[Ref]
Cardiovascular side effects have included palpitations and peripheral vasodilation, commonly resulting in reflex tachycardia. Changes in blood pressure, both increases and decreases, have been reported. Higher dosages have rarely aggravated angina and myocardial ischemia or caused atrial or ventricular arrhythmias.[Ref]
The incidence of tremors has been reported to decrease from 22% to 9% during the third month of therapy with bitolterol.[Ref]
Respiratory side effects have included coughing (2.5%), bronchospasm (1.5%), chest discomfort (1.5%), and rhinitis (1.5%).[Ref]
More about Tornalate (bitolterol)
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Drug class: adrenergic bronchodilators
Related treatment guides
1. "Product Information. Tornalate Metered Dose (bitolterol)." Dura Pharmaceuticals, San Diego, CA.
2. Pinnas JL, Bhatt BD, Campbell SC, Kemp JP, Tinkelman DG "Dose-response study of nebulized bitolterol mesylate solution in asthmatic patients." Chest 91 (1987): 533-9
3. Bierman CW, Kemp JP, Nathan RA "Efficacy and safety of inhaled bitolterol mesylate via metered-dose inhaler in children with asthma." Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 76 (1996): 27-35
4. "Bitolterol--a new bronchodilator." Med Lett Drugs Ther 27 (1985): 46-7
5. Nathan RA, Bronsky EA, Dockhorn RJ, Kemp JP "Multicenter dose-ranging study of bitolterol mesylate solution for nebulization in children with asthma." Ann Allergy 72 (1994): 209-16
6. Orgel HA, Kemp JP, Tinkelman DG, Webb DR Jr "Bitolterol and albuterol metered-dose aerosols: comparison of two long-acting beta 2-adrenergic bronchodilators for treatment o asthma." J Allergy Clin Immunol 75 (1985): 55-62
7. Walker SB, Bierman CW, Pierson WE, Shapiro GG, Furukawa CT, Mingo TS "Bitolterol mesylate in exercise-induced asthma." J Allergy Clin Immunol 77 (1986): 32-6
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.