Proben-C Side Effects
Generic Name: colchicine / probenecid
Note: This document contains side effect information about colchicine / probenecid. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Proben-C.
For the Consumer
Applies to colchicine / probenecid: oral tablet
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of infection like fever, chills, very bad sore throat, ear or sinus pain, cough, more sputum or change in color of sputum, pain with passing urine, mouth sores, or wound that will not heal.
- Signs of liver problems like dark urine, feeling tired, not hungry, upset stomach or stomach pain, light-colored stools, throwing up, or yellow skin or eyes.
- A burning, numbness, or tingling feeling that is not normal.
- Very upset stomach or throwing up.
- Very loose stools (diarrhea).
- Back pain, belly pain, or blood in the urine. May be signs of a kidney stone.
- Not able to pass urine or change in how much urine is passed.
- Any unexplained bruising or bleeding.
- Feeling very tired or weak.
- Pale skin.
- Very bad muscle problems may happen with this drug. This can also lead to kidney problems. Tell your doctor if you have muscle pain or weakness, mainly if you feel very tired or weak or have a fever. Tell your doctor if you are unable to pass urine or you have a change in how much urine is passed.
What are some other side effects of this drug?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Loose stools (diarrhea).
- Not hungry.
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Hair loss.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
For Healthcare Professionals
Frequency not reported: Headache, dizziness
Frequency not reported: Peripheral neuritis[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, anorexia, sore gums
Frequency not reported: Nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, or diarrhea (may be particularly troublesome in the presence of peptic ulcer or spastic colon)[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Leukopenia, aplastic anemia, hemolytic anemia (may be due to genetic deficiency of glucose 6 phosphate dehydrogenase) and anemia
Frequency not reported: Thrombocytopenia, pancytopenia, leukopenia, agranulocytosis, bone marrow failure, disseminated intravascular coagulation, aplastic anemia[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Hepatic necrosis.
Frequency not reported: Muscular weakness[Ref]
At toxic doses, other side effects associated with colchicine have included severe diarrhea, generalized vascular damage, and renal damage with hematuria and oliguria.[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Colchicine-Probenecid (colchicine-probenecid)." Watson Pharmaceuticals, Corona, CA.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about Proben-C (colchicine / probenecid)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: antigout agents
Other brands: Probenecid and Colchicine