Optimine Side Effects
Generic name: azatadine
Note: This document contains side effect information about azatadine. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Optimine.
Applies to azatadine: oral tablet
Nervous system side effects have commonly included central nervous system depression with resulting drowsiness. Azatadine (the active ingredient contained in Optimine) has also caused dizziness and affected coordination.[Ref]
The drowsiness caused by azatadine may subside in some patients following prolonged use. Patients should be warned against driving, as well as concomitant ingestion of alcohol and other sedative-hypnotic drugs, while taking azatadine.
At dosages above what is normally recommended, dystonic reactions have occurred.[Ref]
Gastrointestinal side effects have included dry mouth and constipation due to anticholinergic effects. Patients have also experienced epigastric distress and nausea. Increased appetite has been reported.[Ref]
Ocular side effects have included blurred vision, diplopia, and dry eyes due to cholinergic blockade.[Ref]
Genitourinary side effects have included dysuria, urinary hesitancy, decrease in urinary flow, and in rare cases, acute urinary retention. These urinary tract effects may have been due to azatadine (the active ingredient contained in Optimine) s anticholinergic effects.[Ref]
Respiratory side effects have included thickening of bronchial secretions.[Ref]
More about Optimine (azatadine)
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Drug class: antihistamines
Related treatment guides
1. Luscombe DK, Nicholls PJ, Parish PA "Comparison of the effects of azatadine maleate and terfenadine on human performance." Pharmatherapeutica 3 (1983): 370-5
2. Luscombe DK, Nicholls PJ, Spencer PS "Effect of azatadine on human performance." Br J Clin Pract 34 (1980): 75-9
3. "Azatadine (optimine)--a new antihistamine." Med Lett Drugs Ther 19 (1977): 77-9
4. Joske DJ "Dystonic reaction to azatadine." Med J Aust 141 (1984): 449
5. Wilson JD, Hillas JL, Somerfield SD "Azatadine maleate (Zadine): evaluation in the management of allergic rhinitis." N Z Med J 94 (1981): 79-81
6. Kaminszczik I, Barbon L "Relieving symptoms of upper respiratory allergies and the common cold: azatadine maleate/pseudoephedrine sulfate syrup versus placebo." J Int Med Res 11 (1983): 101-7
7. Schuller DE, Turkewitz D "Adverse effects of antihistamines." Postgrad Med 79 (1986): 75-86
8. Small P, Barrett D, Biskin N "Effects of azatadine, terfenadine, and astemizole on allergen-induced nasal provocation." Ann Allergy 64 (1990): 129-31
9. "Product Information. Optimine (azatadine)." Schering Laboratories, Kenilworth, NJ.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.