Optimine Side Effects
Generic Name: azatadine
Note: This page contains side effects data for the generic drug azatadine. It is possible that some of the dosage forms included below may not apply to the brand name Optimine.
Applies to azatadine: oral tablet
Nervous system side effects have commonly included central nervous system depression with resulting drowsiness. Azatadine (the active ingredient contained in Optimine) has also caused dizziness and affected coordination.[Ref]
The drowsiness caused by azatadine may subside in some patients following prolonged use. Patients should be warned against driving, as well as concomitant ingestion of alcohol and other sedative-hypnotic drugs, while taking azatadine.
At dosages above what is normally recommended, dystonic reactions have occurred.[Ref]
Gastrointestinal side effects have included dry mouth and constipation due to anticholinergic effects. Patients have also experienced epigastric distress and nausea. Increased appetite has been reported.[Ref]
Cardiovascular side effects have included hypotension, tachycardia, and palpitations.[Ref]
Ocular side effects have included blurred vision, diplopia, and dry eyes due to cholinergic blockade.[Ref]
Genitourinary side effects have included dysuria, urinary hesitancy, decrease in urinary flow, and in rare cases, acute urinary retention. These urinary tract effects may have been due to azatadine (the active ingredient contained in Optimine) s anticholinergic effects.[Ref]
Hematologic side effects have included reports of bone marrow suppression, thrombocytopenia, and aplastic anemia.[Ref]
Respiratory side effects have included thickening of bronchial secretions.[Ref]
Hypersensitivity reactions to azatadine (the active ingredient contained in Optimine) have included rash and urticaria.[Ref]
1. Kaminszczik I, Barbon L "Relieving symptoms of upper respiratory allergies and the common cold: azatadine maleate/pseudoephedrine sulfate syrup versus placebo." J Int Med Res 11 (1983): 101-7
2. Schuller DE, Turkewitz D "Adverse effects of antihistamines." Postgrad Med 79 (1986): 75-86
3. Luscombe DK, Nicholls PJ, Parish PA "Comparison of the effects of azatadine maleate and terfenadine on human performance." Pharmatherapeutica 3 (1983): 370-5
4. Luscombe DK, Nicholls PJ, Spencer PS "Effect of azatadine on human performance." Br J Clin Pract 34 (1980): 75-9
5. Small P, Barrett D, Biskin N "Effects of azatadine, terfenadine, and astemizole on allergen-induced nasal provocation." Ann Allergy 64 (1990): 129-31
6. "Product Information. Optimine (azatadine)." Schering Laboratories, Kenilworth, NJ.
7. "Azatadine (optimine)--a new antihistamine." Med Lett Drugs Ther 19 (1977): 77-9
8. Joske DJ "Dystonic reaction to azatadine." Med J Aust 141 (1984): 449
9. Wilson JD, Hillas JL, Somerfield SD "Azatadine maleate (Zadine): evaluation in the management of allergic rhinitis." N Z Med J 94 (1981): 79-81
It is possible that some side effects of Optimine may not have been reported. These can be reported to the FDA here. Always consult a healthcare professional for medical advice.
More about Optimine (azatadine)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: antihistamines
Related treatment guides
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. In addition, the drug information contained herein may be time sensitive and should not be utilized as a reference resource beyond the date hereof. This material does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients, or recommend therapy. This information is a reference resource designed as supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill , knowledge, and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate safety, effectiveness, or appropriateness for any given patient. Drugs.com does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of materials provided. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the substances you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.