Guaifenesin / hydromorphone Side Effects
Nervous system side effects of guaifenesin have included dizziness and headache. Central nervous system adverse effects of hydromorphone have included mental depression, dizziness, lightheadedness, respiratory depression (which is sometimes fatal), stupor, delirium, somnolence, agitation, and dysphoria.[Ref]
Other side effects of hydromorphone have included withdrawal symptoms, such as agitation, restlessness, anxiety, insomnia, tremor, abdominal cramps, blurred vision, vomiting and sweating, after either abrupt cessation or fast tapering of narcotic analgesics.[Ref]
Gastrointestinal side effects of guaifenesin have included upset stomach and vomiting with higher than recommended doses. Doses recommended for expectoration are rarely associated with gastrointestinal upset. Gastrointestinal side effects of hydromorphone have included nausea, vomiting, constipation, and dry mouth.[Ref]
Dermatologic side effects of guaifenesin have included rash. Narcotic-induced rash has also been reported.[Ref]
1. Bellville JW, Forrest WH, Elashoff J, Laska E "Evaluating side effects of analgesics in a cooperative clinical study." Clin Pharmacol Ther 9 (1968): 303-13
2. Covington EC, Gonsalves-Ebrahim L, Currie KO, et al "Severe respiratory depression from patient-controlled analgesia in renal failure." Psychosomatics 30 (1989): 226-8
3. "Product Information. Dilaudid Cough Syrup (guaifenesin-hydromorphone)" Knoll Pharmaceutical Company, Mount Olive, NJ.
4. White MJ, Berghausen EJ, Dumont SW, et al "Side effects during continuous epidural infusion of morphine and fentanyl." Can J Anaesth 39 (1992): 576-82
5. D'Souza M "Unusual reaction to morphine." Lancet 07/11/87 (1987): 98
6. Covington TR, Lawson LC, Young LL, eds. "Handbook of Nonprescription Drugs. 10th ed." Washington, DC: American Pharmaceutical Association (1993):
7. "Product Information. Robitussin (guaifenesin)." Wyeth-Ayerst Laboratories, Philadelphia, PA.
8. Miser AW, Chayt KJ, Sandlund JT, Cohen PS, Dothage JA, Miser JS "Narcotic withdrawal syndrome in young adults after the therapeutic use of opiates." Am J Dis Child 140 (1986): 603-4
9. Portenoy RK, Foley KM "Chronic use of opioid analgesics in non-malignant pain: report of 38 cases." Pain 25 (1986): 171-86
10. Cohen J, Tattersfield H, Lloyd D, Cantopher T "A request for a strong analgesic." Practitioner 234 (1990): 691-4
11. Petersen TK, Husted SE, Rybro L, et al "Urinary retention during I.M. and extradural morphine analgesia." Br J Anaesth 54 (1982): 1175-8
12. de Cuyper C, Goeteyn M "Systemic contact dermatitis from subcutaneous hydromorphone." Contact Dermatitis 27 (1992): 220-3
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.