Genasal Side Effects
Generic name: oxymetazoline nasal
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Dec 18, 2021.
Note: This document contains side effect information about oxymetazoline nasal. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Genasal.
For the Consumer
Applies to oxymetazoline nasal: nasal spray
Side effects requiring immediate medical attention
Along with its needed effects, oxymetazoline nasal (the active ingredient contained in Genasal) may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking oxymetazoline nasal:
- Blurred vision
- fast, irregular, or pounding heartbeat
- headache, dizziness, drowsiness, or lightheadedness
- high blood pressure
- increase in runny or stuffy nose
- trouble in sleeping
Side effects not requiring immediate medical attention
Some side effects of oxymetazoline nasal may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects.
Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:
- Burning, dryness, or stinging inside of nose
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to oxymetazoline nasal: nasal solution, nasal spray
The most commonly reported side effects were discomfort or irritation in the nose, mouth or throat, and sneezing.[Ref]
Rare (less than 0.1%): Eye irritation, dryness, discomfort/redness[Ref]
Rare (less than 0.1%): Discomfort or irritation in the nose, mouth or throat, sneezing
Frequency not reported: Rhinitis medicamentosa (after prolonged or heavy use)[Ref]
More about Genasal (oxymetazoline nasal)
- Drug interactions
- Dosage information
- During pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Drug class: nasal antihistamines and decongestants
- Other brands
- Afrin, Afrin Original, Zicam Sinus Relief, Vicks Sinex 12-Hour Decongestant Nasal Spray, ... +24 more
Related treatment guides
1. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
2. Cerner Multum, Inc. "Australian Product Information." O 0
3. "Product Information. Afrin (oxymetazoline nasal)" Schering-Plough, Liberty Corner, NJ.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.