Dayhist Allergy Side Effects
Generic Name: clemastine
Note: This document contains side effect information about clemastine. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Dayhist Allergy.
For the Consumer
Applies to clemastine: oral oral solution, oral tablets
Side effects include:
Sedation, sleepiness, dizziness, disturbed coordination, epigastric distress, thickening of bronchial secretions.
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to clemastine: compounding powder, oral syrup, oral tablet
Nervous system side effects have included central nervous system depression which has commonly resulted in drowsiness, dizziness, and headache. Dyskinesias have rarely been reported following chronic use of antihistamines.[Ref]
Nearly all patients experience drowsiness. This drowsiness may subside in some patients with extended use. Patients should be warned against driving, as well as concomitant ingestion with alcohol and other sedative-hypnotic drugs.
Few cases of dyskinesias and tremors, often of the face, have been reported in patients whose chronic use of antihistamines extended over a period of 3 to 10 years. Some of these cases were only partially relieved by discontinuation of the drug. Haloperidol was successful in relieving symptoms.[Ref]
Ocular effects are due to the anticholinergic effects and may include blurred vision, diplopia, and dry eyes.[Ref]
A fatal case of agranulocytosis has been reported in a patient taking chlorpheniramine, pseudoephedrine, acetaminophen, dextromethorphan, phenylpropanolamine, and aspirin. Chlorpheniramine was felt to be the cause.[Ref]
Dermatologic side effects have included toxic pustuloderma.[Ref]
1. Schran HF, Petryk L, Chang CT, Oconnor R, Gelbert MB "The pharmacokinetics and bioavailability of clemastine and phenylpropanolamine in single-component and combination formulations." J Clin Pharmacol 36 (1996): 911-22
2. "Letter: Dyskinesia associated with chronic antihistamine use." N Engl J Med 294 (1976): 113
3. Frolund L, Etholm B, Irander K, Johannessen TA, Odkvist L, Ohlander B, Weeke B "A multicentre study of loratadine, clemastine and placebo in patients with perennial allergic rhinitis." Allergy 45 (1990): 254-61
4. Schuller DE, Turkewitz D "Adverse effects of antihistamines." Postgrad Med 79 (1986): 75-86
5. "Product Information. Tavist (clemastine)." Sandoz Pharmaceuticals Corporation, East Hanover, NJ.
6. Thomas JS, Heurich AE, Ralph JW, Crane R, Shepherd DA "Double-blind, controlled study of clemastine fumarate, chlorpheniramine and placebo in patients with seasonal allergic rhinitis." Ann Allergy 38 (1977): 169-74
7. Thach BT, Chase TN, Bosma JF "Oral facial dyskinesia associated with prolonged use of antihistaminic decongestants." N Engl J Med 293 (1975): 486-7
8. Turner RB, Sperber SJ, Sorrentino JV, OConnor RR, Rogers J, Batouli AR, Gwaltney JM "Effectiveness of clemastine fumarate for treatment of rhinorrhea and sneezing associated with the common cold." Clin Infect Dis 25 (1997): 824-30
9. Gwaltney JM, Park J, Paul RA, Edelman DA, Oconnor RR, Turner RB "Randomized controlled trial of clemastine fumarate for treatment of experimental rhinovirus colds." Clin Infect Dis 22 (1996): 656-62
10. Kanoh T, Jingami H, Uchino H "Aplastic anaemia after prolonged treatment with chlorpheniramine ." Lancet 1 (1977): 546-7
11. Deringer PM, Maniatis A "Chlorpheniramine-induced bone-marrow suppression." Lancet 1 (1976): 432
12. Eisner EV, LaBocki NL, Pinckney L "Chlorpheniramine-dependent thrombocytopenia." JAMA 231 (1975): 735-6
13. Hardin AS "Chlorpheniramine and agranulocytosis ." Ann Intern Med 108 (1988): 770
14. Feindkoopmans A, Vandervalk PGM, Steijlen PM, Vandekerkhof PCM "Toxic pustuloderma associated with clemastine therapy." Clin Exp Dermatol 21 (1996): 293-5
Some side effects of Dayhist Allergy may not be reported. Always consult your doctor or healthcare specialist for medical advice. You may also report side effects to the FDA.
More about Dayhist Allergy (clemastine)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: antihistamines
- Good Neighbor Dayhist Allergy (FDA)
- Topcare Dayhist Allergy (FDA)
- Clemastine Fumarate (AHFS Monograph)
Related treatment guides
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. In addition, the drug information contained herein may be time sensitive and should not be utilized as a reference resource beyond the date hereof. This material does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients, or recommend therapy. This information is a reference resource designed as supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill , knowledge, and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate safety, effectiveness, or appropriateness for any given patient. Drugs.com does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of materials provided. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the substances you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.