Cinoxacin Side Effects
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Sep 28, 2022.
Applies to cinoxacin: oral capsule.
Cinoxacin is generally well tolerated. Adverse effects occur in approximately 5% of treated patients.[Ref]
Nervous system toxicity occurs in approximately 2% of patients treated with cinoxacin, and may include headache, dizziness, nervousness, and insomnia. Rarely, blurred vision has been reported. Other adverse effects rarely include paresthesias, somnolence, photophobia, and tinnitus.[Ref]
Hypersensitivity reactions have been reported following cinoxacin administration in approximately 3% of patients. Hypersensitivity reactions most commonly involve rash, urticaria, pruritus, and edema. Anaphylaxis has been reported in a few patients who were previously sensitized to cinoxacin. A case of Henoch-Schonlein purpura has also been reported.[Ref]
More about cinoxacin
Related treatment guides
1. "Cinoxacin (Cinobac)--a new drug for urinary tract infections." Med Lett Drugs Ther 23 (1981): 57-8
2. Sisca TS, Heel RC, Romankiewicz JA "Cinoxacin. A review of its pharmacological properties and therapeutic efficacy in the treatment of urinary tract infections." Drugs 25 (1983): 544-69
3. Scavone JM, Gleckman RA, Fraser DG "Cinoxacin: mechanism of action, spectrum of activity, pharmacokinetics, adverse reactions, and therapeutic indications." Pharmacotherapy 2 (1982): 266-72
4. Stamey TA "Cinoxacin: an overview." Urology 17 (1981): 492-5
5. Sabbour MS, El Bokl MA, Osman LM "Experiences on the efficacy and safety of nalidixic acid, oxolinic acid, cinoxacin and norfloxacin in the treatment of urinary tract infections (UTI)." Infection 12 (1984): 377-80
6. Burt RA "Review of adverse reactions associated with cinoxacin and other drugs used to treat urinary tract infections." Urology 23 (1984): 101-7
7. Goldstein EJ, Kahn RM, Alpert ML, Ginsberg BP, Greenway FL, Citron DM "Ciprofloxacin versus cinoxacin in therapy of urinary tract infections. A randomized, double-blind trial." Am J Med 82 (1987): 284-7
8. Schaeffer AJ, Flynn S, Jones J "Comparison of cinoxacin and trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole in the treatment of urinary tract infections." J Urol 125 (1981): 825-7
9. Cox CE, Simmons JR "Cinoxacin therapy for urinary tract infections: therapeutic safety and efficacy." South Med J 75 (1982): 549-50
10. Cox CE, Simmons JR "Cinoxacin in therapy of urinary tract infections. Comparison of two dosage regimens." Urology 17 (1981): 539-41
11. Stricker BH, Slagboom G, Demaeseneer R, Slootmaekers V, Thijs I, Olsson S "Anaphylactic reactions to cinoxacin." BMJ 297 (1988): 1434-5
12. Drago F, Arditi MR, Rebora A "Henoch-schonlein purpura induced by fluoroquinolones." Br J Dermatol 131 (1994): 448
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.