Brevital Sodium Side Effects
Generic Name: methohexital
Note: This document contains side effect information about methohexital. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Brevital Sodium.
For the Consumer
Applies to methohexital: injection solution reconstituted, intravenous solution prefilled syringe
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
- A fast heartbeat.
- Feeling confused.
- Trouble breathing, slow breathing, or shallow breathing.
- This drug may cause tissue damage if the drug leaks from the vein. Tell your nurse if you have any redness, burning, pain, swelling, blisters, skin sores, or leaking of fluid where the drug is going into your body.
What are some other side effects of this drug?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Feeling sleepy.
- Belly pain.
- Runny nose.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to methohexital: intravenous powder for injection, intravenous solution
Frequency not reported: Injury to nerves adjacent to injection site, seizure, headache[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Injection site pain[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Thrombophlebitis[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Skeletal muscle hyperactivity (twitching)[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Brevital Sodium (methohexital)." Par Pharmaceutical Inc, Chestnut Ridge, NY.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about Brevital Sodium (methohexital)
- Brevital Sodium Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 1 Review
- Drug class: general anesthetics