Bitolterol Side Effects
Applies to bitolterol: inhalation aerosol, inhalation solution
Tachycardia has been reported in 3.7% of patients, palpitations in 3.1% of patients, and irregular pulse in 1.2% of patients. Higher dosages of bitolterol should be used with caution in patients with cardiac disease, arrhythmias, or hypertension.[Ref]
Cardiovascular side effects have included palpitations and peripheral vasodilation, commonly resulting in reflex tachycardia. Changes in blood pressure, both increases and decreases, have been reported. Higher dosages have rarely aggravated angina and myocardial ischemia or caused atrial or ventricular arrhythmias.[Ref]
Metabolic side effects have rarely included hyperglycemia and hyperthyroidism.[Ref]
Nervous system side effects have included tremors (26.6%), nervousness (11.1%), headache (8.4%), lightheadedness (6.8%), dizziness (4%), paresthesia (1.5%), and somnolence (1.2%).[Ref]
The incidence of tremors has been reported to decrease from 22% to 9% during the third month of therapy with bitolterol.[Ref]
Respiratory side effects have included coughing (2.5%), bronchospasm (1.5%), chest discomfort (1.5%), and rhinitis (1.5%).[Ref]
Gastrointestinal side effects have included throat irritation (2.5%), mouth irritation (1.9%), and nausea (1.9%).[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Tornalate Metered Dose (bitolterol)." Dura Pharmaceuticals, San Diego, CA.
2. Nathan RA, Bronsky EA, Dockhorn RJ, Kemp JP "Multicenter dose-ranging study of bitolterol mesylate solution for nebulization in children with asthma." Ann Allergy 72 (1994): 209-16
3. Pinnas JL, Bhatt BD, Campbell SC, Kemp JP, Tinkelman DG "Dose-response study of nebulized bitolterol mesylate solution in asthmatic patients." Chest 91 (1987): 533-9
4. Bierman CW, Kemp JP, Nathan RA "Efficacy and safety of inhaled bitolterol mesylate via metered-dose inhaler in children with asthma." Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 76 (1996): 27-35
5. "Bitolterol--a new bronchodilator." Med Lett Drugs Ther 27 (1985): 46-7
6. Walker SB, Bierman CW, Pierson WE, Shapiro GG, Furukawa CT, Mingo TS "Bitolterol mesylate in exercise-induced asthma." J Allergy Clin Immunol 77 (1986): 32-6
7. Orgel HA, Kemp JP, Tinkelman DG, Webb DR Jr "Bitolterol and albuterol metered-dose aerosols: comparison of two long-acting beta 2-adrenergic bronchodilators for treatment o asthma." J Allergy Clin Immunol 75 (1985): 55-62
Not all side effects for bitolterol may be reported. You should always consult a doctor or healthcare professional for medical advice. Side effects can be reported to the FDA here.
More about bitolterol
Related treatment guides
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. In addition, the drug information contained herein may be time sensitive and should not be utilized as a reference resource beyond the date hereof. This material does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients, or recommend therapy. This information is a reference resource designed as supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill , knowledge, and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate safety, effectiveness, or appropriateness for any given patient. Drugs.com does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of materials provided. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the substances you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.