Atropine / hyoscyamine / phenobarbital / scopolamine Side Effects
More frequently reported side effects include: constipation and dizziness. See below for a comprehensive list of adverse effects.
For the Consumer
Applies to atropine / hyoscyamine / phenobarbital / scopolamine: oral elixir, oral tablet
Along with its needed effects, atropine/hyoscyamine/phenobarbital/scopolamine may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking atropine/hyoscyamine/phenobarbital/scopolamine:
Some side effects of atropine / hyoscyamine / phenobarbital / scopolamine may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:
Less Common or Rare
- Bloated feeling
- blurred vision
- decreased flow of breast milk
- difficult urination
- difficulty in swallowing
- increased sensitivity of eyes to sunlight
- loss of memory
- nausea or vomiting
- unusual tiredness or weakness
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to atropine / hyoscyamine / phenobarbital / scopolamine: oral capsule, oral elixir, oral liquid, oral tablet, oral tablet extended release
Frequency not reported: Blurred vision, mydriasis, cycloplegia, increased ocular tension[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Xerostomia, constipation, bloated feeling[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Loss of taste sense, headache, drowsiness, dizziness, convulsions[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Severe allergic reaction or drug idiosyncrasies (including anaphylaxis, urticaria, and other dermal manifestations), acquired hypersensitivity (reactions include localized swelling, particularly of eyelids, cheeks, or lips, and erythematous dermatitis)[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Musculoskeletal pain[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Megaloblastic anemia[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Weakness[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Donnatal (atropine/hyoscyamine/PB/scopolamine)." Concordia Pharmaceuticals, LaVergne, TN.
2. "Product Information. Belladonna-PHENobarbital (atropine/hyoscyamine/PB/scopolamine)." West-Ward Pharmaceutical Corporation, Eatontown, NJ.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about atropine/hyoscyamine/phenobarbital/scopolamine
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 39 Reviews
- Drug class: anticholinergics/antispasmodics
- Belladonna alkaloids and phenobarbital
- Hyoscyamine, Atropine, Scopolamine, and Phenobarbital Elixir
- Hyoscyamine, Atropine, Scopolamine, and Phenobarbital Tablets
- Belladonna alkaloids and phenobarbital (Advanced Reading)