User Reviews for Atropine/hyoscyamine/phenobarbital/scopolamine

Also known as: Donnatal, Antispasmodic, Phenohytro, Donnatal Extentabs, Elixiral, Chardonna-2, Hyosophen, Donnapine, Bellatal, Barbidonna, Bellalphen, D-Tal, Donnaphen, Alkabel-SR, Bellatal ER, Me-PB-Hyos, Se-Donna PB HYOS Antispas RE-PB Hyos Elixir Kinesed B-Donna Tablets Vitetal …show all brand names

Enterocolitis 10.0
Duodenal Ulcer 9.7
Irritable Bowel Syndrome 9.5
Summary of Atropine/hyoscyamine/phenobarbital/scopolamine reviews 9.5 44 reviews

Reviews for Atropine/hyoscyamine/phenobarbital/scopolamine

Mac · Taken for 10 years or more May 19, 2020

Donnatal (atropine / hyoscyamine / phenobarbital / scopolamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I have had severe stomach cramps most of my life. Liquid donnatal would ease my pain within minutes. Now it is so expensive I can't afford it. I just hope whomever made the price this high has severe stomach pain and cannot get anything to stop their pain. This is a shame and disgrace to the makers of donnatal and the FDA.”

Sad · Taken for 10 years or more April 20, 2020

Donnatal (atropine / hyoscyamine / phenobarbital / scopolamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I have esophageal spasms and bowel spasms and have taken Donnatal for over 30 years and now I cannot get it because it is not FDA approved. Please get this back on the approved FDA approved listing. Why change something that works. I see this is a very high rate drug that works. If it is not broke don't fix it as the old saying goes. People need and deserve a quality of life.”

Kayjohn January 6, 2020

Donnatal (atropine / hyoscyamine / phenobarbital / scopolamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “Just wanted to let people know that my dr just prescribed Donnatal to me so I'm not sure why anyone else is having a hard time getting it? I didn't ask for it, I didn't even know about it. I've had what they like to call IBS since I was a child, and I am 32 now. The spasms are terrible. The thing with my IBS is I constantly have blood in my poop and lots of mucus. Many colonoscopies, x-rays, allergy testing, every testing you could possibly think of but.. the colonoscopy says no evidence of Crohn's but the IBD blood test was positive? So here I sit knowing that the drs really don't know what is going on, they just threw me into an IBS group and they're trying every drug in the book. Crossing my fingers that this one helps. Very nervous to take it though. I'm going to take it before I go to bed because it says it makes you very tired. But I did just want people to know my doctor just prescribed it to me and today is January 5th 2020”

cookie December 26, 2019

Donnatal (atropine / hyoscyamine / phenobarbital / scopolamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I can't say enough how donnatal gave me my life back . . . the pain that is experienced from IBS symptoms was debilitating and sent me home from many functions. It is a drug that you eventually need so infrequently, but when you need it, it's a lifesaver . . . . maybe we will all have to start going to the Emergency Room with the pain and spasms to let the deciders see that one simple Donnatal pill that usually works within 15-20 minutes could save much money. I'd also like the deciders to get a dose of IBS . . . . FDA, please approve and bring back Donnatal”

Myra · Taken for 10 years or more September 6, 2019

Donnatal (atropine / hyoscyamine / phenobarbital / scopolamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I have taken Donnatal for 30 plus years! I call it my miracle medication! I am asking Concordia to submit to the FDA for approval!!”

Vanila · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 1, 2019

Donnatal (atropine / hyoscyamine / phenobarbital / scopolamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I had very good results from Donnatal for IBS. I got nearly complete relief from cramping with one or two tablets. I had difficulty finding a physician willing to prescribe it due to the phenobarbital ingredient. I had a bottle of 30 tabs last 2 years so obviously I didn't abuse it.”

Mj · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 21, 2019

Donnatal (atropine / hyoscyamine / phenobarbital / scopolamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I’ve been taken Donnatal for years it worked great.i called the FDA about this medication they told me that the people who made it needed to file paper work to keep it on the market but they never filed it with the FDA and now it’s off the market .I'm hoping another company will make it instead cause I never had a side affect with this medication like other kinds.I have IBS to it sucks the pain I want my Donnatal back ”

Ruby stiles · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 20, 2019

Donnatal (atropine / hyoscyamine / phenobarbital / scopolamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I was diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) in my late 30 s along with depression and anxiety panic attacks and PTSD I was examined by a specialist he is the one who diagnosed me after many years of medication that didn’t work or the side effects were more dibilitating in some cases. I have not had any flare ups in years until just recently. I’m now 56 my doctor asked me what works best for me on the past . I told him donnatal was very effective he stated we don’t prescribe that anymore. Instead I was given a medication that didn’t work and the side effects were worse than I had anticipated. Why am I not being heard? I don’t care if it’s an old medication it’s very effective for me, as I rarely need it I don’t see any problem with prescribing it , I also have anxiety it’s also effective for that and stomach pain with nausea with one medication instead of 3 . Has anyone else been getting medication that didn’t work? Why?”

Natalie · Taken for 10 years or more June 17, 2019

Donnatal (atropine / hyoscyamine / phenobarbital / scopolamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “Prescribed Donnetal Elixir in 1953 after many unsuccessful stomach tests. A Wonderful Miracle Drug! Saw huge jugs of the liquid on pharmacy shelves at that time... they were selling Donnetal Elixir way back then by the pint bottles . I lost many hours of secretarial work due to severe stomach cramps where I was unable to sit, stand or lie down. I like the liquid Donnetal because only a small sip gives me relief thus my prescription bottle lasts many months; sometimes more than a year... and never ages... effective to the last drop. So I was beyond shock when I recently tried to renew Donnetal. My pharmacy didn't carry it; their warehouse didn't either. I found another pharmacy.... $500 for a quart! and my insurance won't pay a cent. After keeping my lifesaver, trusted medicine on standby these many years (I'm 88 years old), reasonably priced through pharmacies... only the rich can now afford it. Why?”

donnataluser · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 19, 2019

Donnatal (atropine / hyoscyamine / phenobarbital / scopolamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “Unfortunately Donnatal is another "Pharma-bro"-type situation. Unscrupulous people buy drug manufacturing rights and then jack up the prices 100-1000% just because they can - and no one stops them. Donnatal suffered such a fate; it used to be about 80 bucks a bottle and then shot up 800% over 6 years - for no reason other than profit. In the US, in 2011 the FDA changed its classification which meant all generics were suddenly illegal and no new drugs could enter the market until it is no longer "under evaluation" by the FDA - which hasn't happened in over 7 years, so don't hold your breath. The drug works extremely well for me to treat IBS, but the price means I can't use it. ”

giz · Taken for less than 1 month March 15, 2019

Donnatal (atropine / hyoscyamine / phenobarbital / scopolamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I have ulcerative colitis and have been in a flare for almost a year. Was just hospitalized for a week and now am on prednisone taper. Donnatal helps SO much in stopping the ulcerative colitis spasms but my insurance is denying it due to the high cost. My insurance is also denying Entyvio. I assume that BlueCross/Blueshield and Medicare have decided not to let old people have the drugs that help them the most. Most drug companies have policies in place to help patients pay if they are unable to afford the high costs; BUT...if you have Medicare, Tricare, or other insurance, they won't help either. So...I guess it's just a 'we don't care about the old people' new world thinking. Best of luck all.”

Bebe · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 22, 2019

Donnatal (atropine / hyoscyamine / phenobarbital / scopolamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “Always helps with pain as well as the spasms. 1 or 2 days of med will get me back on track. Couldn't get generic last Rx. . Expensive but pharmacy found a coupon.”

texaswildbabe1 · Taken for 10 years or more September 29, 2018

Donnatal (atropine / hyoscyamine / phenobarbital / scopolamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “After a laparotomy at 22 , I was given donnatol and it worked great. If I didn't have it, my stomach and intestines hurt so bad I couldn't stand up straight. I'm 68 now and for the last 9 years or so, I've been unable to get it from a doctor, and I get tired of hearing the doctor say that it's an old medicine. It's the only thing that helps me. My doctor there tells me how old donnatol is and doesn't give it to me. I get very upset being at the mercy of any doctor. I'm in pain as I write this and the more I hurt, the more upset I get, which makes everything hurt more. Not only does my doctor refuse to give me donnatol, but she also doesn't give me anything else. She even had the nerve to say that I didn't mention that I have IBS. I certainly did, and that's when she told me that donnatol was an old medicine.”

Mimi · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 12, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “As for me, I have had IBS for 30 yrs. I was prescribed Donnatal and the horrible stomach cramps stopped. It is the best medicine for IBS I have ever tried. Recently have been having increased IBS cramps, diarrhea, and an ER dr prescribed Donnetal after I told him Bentyl made me feel dizzy and weird. He said it would be hard to find as indeed it has been. The pharmacy gave me your Company name to see if I can find out why it is so hard to fIND and why it is unreasonably expensive. My life is miserable every day becsuse of IBS and I know if I had Donnetal it would be normal. ”

DazeyJenni · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 1, 2018

Donnatal (atropine / hyoscyamine / phenobarbital / scopolamine) for Duodenal Ulcer: “I had suffered from duodenal ulcers, 3 or 4 of them. The Dr's gave me liquid Donnatal. I'd take a swig of it and the pain would go away. I have new Drs that haven't heard of it. I told them it's what worked for me. I'm still waiting for approval. Now I just found out its in pill form, too! Great!”

dawnette · Taken for less than 1 month January 6, 2018

Donnatal (atropine / hyoscyamine / phenobarbital / scopolamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I have been suffering extreme abdominal upper/lower right side and have gastroporesis, unknown weight loss , severe abdominal pain that dr’s can’t find seem to find out why I’m unable to hold down fluids/foods no longer than 10-15 min. My GI put me on this and it helps so much but, my pain management dr told me to stop it due to my other pain Med and I’ve been in my bed so sick, in such pain, severe n/v, abd. pain,headache, so I don’t know how to tell my pain dr that this was saving me”

Ma Wood · Taken for less than 1 month September 21, 2017

Phenohytro (atropine / hyoscyamine / phenobarbital / scopolamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “This drug is suppose to the generic for Donnatal, I am 63 and I have had IBS-D since I was twenty. I have tried most of the name brand drugs and Donnatal work the best for me. This drug does work and cost the same as Donnatal.”

Smilie Jo August 29, 2017

Donnatal (atropine / hyoscyamine / phenobarbital / scopolamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I Have had IBS for 30 years now ago. My PCP recently wrote me a script for Donnatal Elixer. Unfortunately, my prescription insurance is denying me this medication stating, "Non-Essential Medication...Rejected, Not Covered." I want to know when my prescription insurance company received their medical degree and at what time have they ever examined me and/or read through my complex medical conditions/history. To add insult to injury I also have Common Variable Immune Deficiency which is known to cause major G/I complications, including infections and intestinal inflammation/pain. I plan to appeal the denial for the Donnatal Elixer. Also, the intestinal cramping I suffer renders me paralyzed with pain, unable to sit or walk.”

I'm just me · Taken for 10 years or more August 18, 2017

Donnatal (atropine / hyoscyamine / phenobarbital / scopolamine) for Duodenal Ulcer: “I use this medication to treat severe acid reflux. Mixed with Mylanta or Mallox liquid it works extremely well. It's very old school and insurance won't pay for it, for that reason, but I still pay the $200 plus to get.”

Kris1845 July 5, 2017

Donnatal (atropine / hyoscyamine / phenobarbital / scopolamine) for Duodenal Ulcer: “It really helped when I had a stomach pain.This is a common symptom with Behcet's disease. I'd suffer from doubled over stomach aches and Donnatal gives me relief. It is available as a pill.”

Dedbear · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 5, 2017

Donnatal (atropine / hyoscyamine / phenobarbital / scopolamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “This is the best thing since sliced bread (don't mean to really say this but...) Went off of it due to the price being so high. The replacement prescription did not work at all. After two months of problems again, I gave up and called in for the pills. Lifesaver, worked immediately, now I am happy again. Can go out, live normally. Took eight years off hell with IBS and other gastrointestinal problems until my doctor gave me this as a last resort, thank goodness he did. I went thru many, many, addictive medicines and such, very happy I found this.”

Debdt October 30, 2016

Donnatal (atropine / hyoscyamine / phenobarbital / scopolamine) for Duodenal Ulcer: “Donnatal is so expensive. Go to donnatal website. There is a link to click on drug assist. I called. They sent me a prescription for free. Also my doctor had a coupon. I only had to pay $15 for 90 pills”

Ryrid August 20, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “Had great results with this medication.”

Renee12345678 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 15, 2016

Donnatal (atropine / hyoscyamine / phenobarbital / scopolamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “One of the BEST medicines ever for IBS. I suffered Cdiff for a long time and the aftermath led me having severe stomach muscle spasms , they would knock me off my feet. I tried every medicine you can think of, the only medicine that compared to helping is Librax but it didn't work as good as Donntal, however it's extremely expensive, for a 30 day supply is 285$. But when in so much pain you do what you have to. Hope the best for everyone reading this.”

SteveBruleMD November 27, 2015

Donnatal (atropine / hyoscyamine / phenobarbital / scopolamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I'm 35 and one of the first memories I have is me at about four reeling in pain from IBS-D. I have often thought about just taking the easy way out due to the constant agony. Then one day an amazing gastro suggested Donnatal and within about three hours of taking it I was pain free. This stuff is a life changer for me at least.”