Apo-Amoxi Side Effects
Generic name: amoxicillin
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Feb 2, 2022.
Note: This document contains side effect information about amoxicillin. Some dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Apo-Amoxi.
Applies to amoxicillin: oral capsules, oral for suspension, oral tablets.
Side effects include:
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to amoxicillin: oral capsule, oral powder for reconstitution, oral tablet, oral tablet chewable, oral tablet dispersible, oral tablet extended release.
The most frequently reported side effects were diarrhea, nausea, and skin rash.[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Diarrhea, nausea, abdominal pain
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Vomiting
Frequency not reported: Hemorrhagic/pseudomembranous colitis, tooth discolored, black hairy tongue, glossitis, stomatitis
Postmarketing reports: Sore mouth/tongue[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Erythema, exanthema, rash
Frequency not reported: Erythematous maculopapular rashes, erythema multiforme, Stevens-Johnson Syndrome, bullous dermatitis, exfoliative dermatitis, toxic epidermal necrolysis/Lyell's syndrome, acute generalized exanthematous pustulosis, maculopapular rash, erythema nodosum, pemphigoid reactions[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Vulvovaginal mycotic infection[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Headache, taste perversion
Very rare (less than 0.01%): Convulsion, dizziness, hyperkinesia
Very rare (less than 0.01%): Anaphylaxis, serum sickness-like reaction
Frequency not reported: Jarisch-Herxheimer reaction[Ref]
Very rare (less than 0.01%): Crystalluria, interstitial nephritis
Frequency not reported: Nephropathy[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Candidiasis, fungal/mycotic infection
Very rare (less than 0.01%): Mucocutaneous candidiasis
Very rare (less than 0.01%): Hepatitis, cholestatic jaundice, AST increased, ALT increased
Frequency not reported: Hepatic dysfunction, hepatic cholestasis, acute cytolytic hepatitis[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Phlebitis, injection site pain[Ref]
Frequently asked questions
- What are the best antibiotics for a tooth infection?
- Can you drink alcohol with amoxicillin?
- Does amoxicillin expire? Is it safe to take after expiration?
- Amoxicillin rash: When should I be concerned?
- What is the best antibiotic to treat strep throat?
- What's the difference between amoxicillin and penicillin?
- Does amoxicillin help with tooth infection and pain?
- If I am allergic to penicillin, is it safe to use amoxicillin?
- Is amoxicillin safe for dogs?
More about Apo-Amoxi (amoxicillin)
- Check interactions
- Compare alternatives
- Reviews (2)
- Dosage information
- During pregnancy
- Drug class: aminopenicillins
Related treatment guides
1. Product Information. Amoxil (amoxicillin). SmithKline Beecham. 2001.
2. Cerner Multum, Inc. UK Summary of Product Characteristics.
3. Cerner Multum, Inc. Australian Product Information.
4. Product Information. Moxatag (amoxicillin). Fera Pharmaceuticals. 2017.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.