Sodium Citrate Anticoagulant Solution
Generic Name: trisodium citrate dihydrate
Dosage Form: injection, solution
Medically reviewed on Jul 1, 2018
Indications and Usage for Sodium Citrate Anticoagulant Solution
SODIUM CITRATE 4% W/V ANTICOAGULANT SOLUTION is intended for use only for the anticoagulation of whole blood as part of automated apheresis procedures. [See Dosage and Administration (2).]
Sodium Citrate Anticoagulant Solution Dosage and Administration
General Dosing Information
SODIUM CITRATE 4% W/V ANTICOAGULANT SOLUTION USP is added to tubing sets during apheresis procedures. The solution is connected the tubing set in an apheresis collection. The recommended dose is determined by the apheresis device and metered into the tubing set by the apheresis device. It is not intended for direct intravenous infusion.
For instructions on the use of the solution with the apheresis device and tubing set, see the device operator's manual.
- Ensure solution is the SODIUM CITRATE 4% W/V ANTICOAGULANT SOLUTION USP and is within the expiration date.
- Inspect the bag. Do not use if the container is damaged, leaking or if there is any visible sign of deterioration.
- Use only if solution is clear and free of particulate matter.
- Protect from sharp objects.
Directions for connecting the SODIUM CITRATE 4% W/V ANTICOAGULANT SOLUTION USP bag to the apheresis device.
At the prompt to connect anticoagulant to the apheresis device tubing set:
- Remove the overwrap by pulling down at the notch, and remove the SODIUM CITRATE 4% W/V ANTICOAGULANT SOLUTION USP bag.
- Before use, perform the following checks [See Warnings and Precautions (5).]:
- Check for leaks by gently squeezing the bag. If leaks are found, discard the bag.
- Ensure that the solution is the SODIUM CITRATE 4% W/V ANTICOAGULANT SOLUTION USP and is within the expiration date.
- Inspect the solution in good light. Bags showing cloudiness, haze, or particulate matter should not be used.
- Remove the protective cap from the port on the bag.
- Connect the bag to the apheresis device tubing set using aseptic technique and hang the solution.
- Proceed according to the apheresis device operator's manual.
Parenteral drug products should be inspected visually for particulate matter and discoloration prior to administration, whenever the solution and container permit.
Dosage Forms and Strengths
250 mL SODIUM CITRATE 4% W/V ANTICOAGULANT SOLUTION USP is a sterile solution in a PVC bag. Each 100 mL contains: Sodium Citrate (dihydrate) 4.0 g; and 100 mL Water for Injection, (pH adjusted with citric acid).
DO NOT INFUSE SODIUM CITRATE 4% W/V ANTICOAGULANT SOLUTION USP DIRECTLY TO THE DONOR.
Warnings and Precautions
- Verify that the SODIUM CITRATE 4% W/V ANTICOAGULANT SOLUTION USP has been securely attached to the Anticoagulant (AC) line on the system tubing set. Use aseptic technique throughout all procedures to ensure donor safety and quality.
- Do not reuse. Discard unused or partially used solution bags.
Citrate reactions or toxicity may occur with the infusion of blood products to patients and return of blood containing citrate anticoagulant to donors. The recipient of the blood containing citrate should be monitored for the signs and symptoms of citrate toxicity. The signs and symptoms of citrate toxicity begin with paresthesia, a "tingling" sensation around the mouth or in the extremities, followed by severe reactions that are characterized by hypotension and possible cardiac arrhythmia. Citrate toxicity may occur more frequently in patients who are hypothermic, have impaired liver or renal function, or have low calcium levels because of an underlying disease.
USE IN SPECIFIC POPULATIONS
SODIUM CITRATE 4% W/V ANTICOAGULANT SOLUTION USP has not been adequately studied in controlled clinical trials with specific populations.
Sodium Citrate Anticoagulant Solution Description
SODIUM CITRATE 4% W/V ANTICOAGULANT SOLUTION USP is designed to be metered by an apheresis device in apheresis procedures, to prevent platelet activation and coagulation as blood moves throughout the extracorporeal unit (tubing set) in an apheresis procedure.
The solution is sterile and non-pyrogenic, and it contains no bacteriostatic or antimicrobial agents.
The formulas of the active ingredients are provided in Table 1.
|Ingredients||Molecular Formula||Molecular Weight|
|Sodium Citrate Dihydrate||C6H9Na3O9||294.10|
|Water for Injection||H2O||18.00|
Each 100 mL of SODIUM CITRATE 4% W/V ANTICOAGULANT SOLUTION USP contains: Sodium Citrate (dihydrate) 4.0 g; and 100mL Water for Injection (pH adjusted with citric acid).
The PVC bag is not made with natural rubber latex.
The bag is made from a multilayered film. It contains materials that have been tested to demonstrate the suitability of the container for storing pharmaceutical solutions. The bag is nontoxic and biologically inert. The bag-solution unit is a closed system and is not dependent upon entry of external air during administration. The bag is overwrapped to provide protection from the physical environment and to provide an additional moisture barrier when necessary.
Sodium Citrate Anticoagulant Solution - Clinical Pharmacology
Mechanism of Action
SODIUM CITRATE 4% W/V ANTICOAGULANT SOLUTION USP acts as an extracorporeal anticoagulant by binding the free calcium in the blood. Calcium is a necessary co-factor to several steps in the clotting cascade. The following ingredients are key components of the solution:
- Citric acid for pH regulation
- Sodium Citrate anticoagulant
This solution has no pharmacological effect.
How Supplied/Storage and Handling
SODIUM CITRATE 4% W/V ANTICOAGULANT SOLUTION USP is a clear solution supplied in sterile and non-pyrogenic PVC bags. The bags are packaged 30 bags per case.
|SIZE||CATALOG NUMBER||NDC NUMBER|
Up to 25 °C.
Protect from freezing.
Issued: August 2017
Terumo BCT, Inc.
Lakewood, CO 80215
PRINCIPAL DISPLAY PANEL - 250 mL Bag Carton Label
Sodium Citrate 4% w/v
Anticoagulant Solution USP
Catalog # 40881
30 x 250 mL units
For use only with automated apheresis procedures.
See apheresis device operator's manual for complete instructions.
Read the package insert before application.
Sterile. Non-pyrogenic. Sterilized with steam.
Caution: Do not use unless the solution is clear and the container is intact.
Single use container. Discard any unused product. Not for direct
intravenous infusion. Rx Only.
Up to 25 °C.
Protect from freezing.
Each 100 mL contains:
Sodium Citrate Dihydrate
Water for Injection to
(pH adjusted with citric acid)
Manufactured by Terumo BCT, Inc.
10811 W. Collins Ave., Lakewood CO 80215, USA
|SODIUM CITRATE 4% W/V ANTICOAGULANT
trisodium citrate dihydrate injection, solution
|Labeler - Terumo BCT, Ltd (233649834)|
|Terumo BCT, Ltd||233649834||MANUFACTURE(14537-881), ANALYSIS(14537-881), STERILIZE(14537-881), LABEL(14537-881)|