How and where do you inject Tremfya?
The best place to inject Tremfya is into the front of your thighs or the lower part of your abdomen, avoiding the area around your belly button (stay an inch away from your belly button). If somebody else is giving you your injection they can also administer it into the outer area of your upper arm. Change your injection site each month so that you are not injecting into the same spot each time. Only inject into clear, healthy skin. Do not inject into any areas that are bruised, tender, red, scaly, or hard. You should also not inject into any scars, stretch marks, or areas of psoriasis.
If you have been shown how to self-inject Tremfya, administer yourself a dose once every eight weeks. Immediately before administration take one Tremfya prefilled syringe or One-Press injector out of the refrigerator and leave on a flat surface, away from children and pets, to warm up to room temperature for at least 30 minutes. Do not warm in any other way (such as by putting in hot water). Wash your hands then clean the injection site with an alcohol wipe and let the area dry. Twist and pull off the bottom cap, keeping your hands away from the needle guard. Inject Tremfya within 5 minutes of removing the cap. Position the One-Press injector straight up and down on the skin (at a 90-degree angle). Push the handle straight down, the medication will inject as you push. The injection is complete when the handle is pushed all the way down and you hear a click, and the teal body is no longer visible. Lift the injection straight up off the skin, the yellow band indicates the needle guard is locked. Dispose of the used Tremfya One-Press injector in an approved sharps container.
For the Tremfya pre-filled syringe, remove the needle cover from the Tremfya prefilled syringe and throw it away. Hold the prefilled syringe in one hand then with the other hand gently pinch the skin at the injection site to form a small bump of skin. Then insert the needle at a 45-degree angle into the small bump, making sure you push the needle in. Push down the plunger as far as it can go, and all the liquid is injected and the syringe is empty. Pull the needle out of the skin, then release the plunger rod and the entire needle should then be covered by the needle guard. Throw away the used Tremfya prefilled syringe into your sharps disposal container.
Tremfya is an interleukin inhibitor that may be used to treat plaque psoriasis or psoriatic arthritis in adults. People receiving Tremfya can be taught how to self-administer it every eight weeks by injection just under the skin, and the main side effects are injection site reactions and an increased risk of infection.
- Tremfya (guselkumab) Updated 07/2020. Janssen Biotech, Inc. https://www.drugs.com/pro/tremfya.html
Related medical questions
- What does psoriasis look like?
- How does Tremfya work to treat plaque and psoriatic arthritis?
- How do you get psoriasis and is it contagious?
- How does Ilumya work to treat psoriasis?
- Why should I take folic acid with methotrexate?
- What are the new drugs for the treatment of plaque psoriasis?
- How do you use clobetasol propionate on your scalp?
- What is a substitute for fluocinonide cream?
- Halobetasol vs. clobetasol - how do they compare?
- What causes Plaque Psoriasis?
- How long does methotrexate stay in your system?
- Tremfya Information for Consumers
- Tremfya Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Tremfya (detailed)