How do you use Dupixent?
Dupixent (dupilumab) is a prescription injection used to treat moderate-to-severe eczema, and moderate-to-severe asthma in patients 6 years and older. It is also used to treat chronic rhinosinusitis with nasal polyps in adults.
Dupixent is administered via subcutaneous injection every 2 weeks or every 4 weeks.
Dupixent pre-filled pen is only for use in adults and adolescents aged 12 years and older. In adolescent patients, the dose should be administered by, or under the supervision of an adult.
Dupixent pre-filled syringe should be given by a caregiver in children 6-11 years of age.
The injection can be administered into the thigh or stomach, except for the 2 inches (5 cm) around the belly button. If a caregiver injects the dose, they can also use the outer area of the upper arm.
Choose a different injection site for each injection. DO NOT inject Dupixent into skin that is tender, damaged, bruised, or scarred.
- See Dupixent Dosage
Instructions for Use
Single-Dose Pre-filled Pen
The Dupixent Pre-filled Pen is a single-dose device for use in adults and children aged 12 years and older.
Clean the injection site with an alcohol wipe. Let your skin dry before injecting. Remove the green cap.
Hold the pen so that you can see the window. Place the yellow needle cover on your skin at approximately a 90-degree angle.
Press and hold the Dupixent Pre-filled Pen firmly against your skin until you cannot see the yellow needle cover. There will be a “click” when the injection starts, and the window will start to turn yellow.
Keep pressing the Dupixent Pre-filled Pen against your skin and watch the window. The window will turn completely yellow, and you will hear a 2nd “click”. Keep pressing the pen against your skin and count to 5 to make sure you get your full dose.
After you have completed your injection pull straight up to remove the pen from the skin. The yellow needle cover will cover the needle. If you see any blood at the site, lightly dab a cotton ball or gauze pad. Do not rub your skin after the injection.
If the window does not turn completely yellow, remove the pen and call your healthcare provider. Do not give yourself a second dose without speaking to your healthcare provider.
Put your used Dupixent Pre-filled Pens, and green caps in a FDA-cleared sharps disposal container right away after use. Do not dispose of (throw away) pens and green caps in your
- Store unused Dupixent Pre-filled Pens in the refrigerator between 36ºF and 46ºF (2ºC and 8ºC). Store in the original carton to protect from light.
- If necessary, you may keep Dupixent Pre-filled Pens at room temperature up to 77ºF (25ºC) for up to 14 days.
- Do not store Dupixent Pre-filled Pens at room temperature more than 77ºF (25ºC).
- Do not shake, heat, freeze, or put the pens in direct sunlight.
- Keep Dupixent Pre-filled Pens and all medicines out of the reach of children.
Related Medical Questions
- Is Dupixent an immunosuppressant?
- Why does Dupixent cause eye problems?
- Can Dupixent cure eczema?
- Does Dupixent cause weight gain?
- Does Dupixent cause joint pain?
- How does Dupixent help with asthma?
- How fast does Dupixent work?
- What is Dupixent used for and how does it work?
- How do you inject Dupixent?