Can you use clobetasol on your face?
Medically reviewed by Carmen Fookes, BPharm. Last updated on July 22, 2020.
No, you should not use clobetasol on your face. Clobetasol is classed as a super potent topical corticosteroid and lower potency corticosteroids, such as hydrocortisone are more appropriate to use on the face if one is deemed necessary. You should always use the lowest potency corticosteroid that is effective for your skin condition for the shortest possible time.
Clobetasol should also not be used to treat:
- Bacterial, fungal, or viral skin infections (such as herpes simplex, shingles or chickenpox)
- Bites or stings
- Eyelid conditions
- Mild dermatitis
- Perioral dermatitis
- Phimosis (a tight foreskin of the penis)
- Skin conditions caused by vaccinations, tuberculosis, or syphilis.
Do not use clobetasol to treat any skin condition that has not been checked by your doctor. Always use the lowest potency corticosteroid for your skin condition. Because clobetasol is superpotent, it may not always be appropriate.
Using more cream or ointment than recommended, or applying clobetasol propionate for longer than two weeks can lead to side effects such as skin thinning, growth retardation in children, cataracts, or glaucoma, or suppression of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis.
Clobetasol is supplied in tamper-evident tubes of 15g, 30g, 45 g, and 60 g. Common brand names for clobetasol include Cormax, Embeline, and Temovate
Clobetasol propionate is not recommended in children under 12 years of age and the area of skin being treated with clobetasol should never be covered with occlusive bandages or dressings.
What symptoms does clobetasol relieve?
Clobetasol reduces inflammation (redness) and itching and can also relieve dryness, crusting, scaling, and discomfort caused by various skin conditions.
- Clobetasol Cream,Ointment Drugs.com https://www.drugs.com/pro/clobetasol-cream-ointment.html#:~:text=Clobetasol%20Propionate%20Cream%20USP%2C%200.05,51672%2D1258%2D3.
- What's tops in topical steroid treatments? National Psoriasis Foundation https://www.psoriasis.org/about-psoriasis/treatments/topicals/steroids/potency-chart
- Cormax (clobetasone propionate) DPT Laboratories, Ltd. https://www.drugs.com/pro/cormax.html
Related Medical Questions
- How effective is clobetasol for hair growth?
- How do you apply clobetasol propionate for lichen sclerosus (lichen sclerosis)?
- How long does it take for clobetasol propionate to work?
- Halobetasol vs. clobetasol - how do they compare?
- What is clobetasol propionate cream used for?
- Can clobetasol make you gain weight?
- How do you use clobetasol propionate on your scalp?
- Does clobetasol propionate topical solution help hair grow back?
- How long should you use clobetasol propionate cream for?
- What's difference between Olux and Olux-E?
- Clobetasol Information for Consumers
- Clobetasol Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Clobetasol (detailed)