How long does it take for clobetasol propionate to work?
Medically reviewed by Carmen Fookes, BPharm. Last updated on July 21, 2020.
It takes about one to three days for clobetasol propionate to start working when it is being used to treat eczema. Some improvement in symptoms such as inflammation (redness) and itching, should be noticed within this time. Other symptoms, such as dryness, crusting, or scaling may take a bit longer to resolve, but improvement should occur within a week.
Treatment with clobetasol propionate should not exceed two weeks and no more than 50 grams of cream or ointment should be used per week, when clobetasol is being used to treat eczema/dermatitis or psoriasis. If no improvement is seen after two weeks, then your doctor should reassess your skin condition, because there may be another reason for your rash other than what has been initially diagnosed.
When clobetasol is being used to treat lichen sclerosus, a course of treatment may last up to 12 weeks.
Clobetasol propionate should only be used to treat eczema/dermatitis, plaque psoriasis, or another approved skin condition, such as lichen sclerosus. It is not effective against other types of skin rashes caused by fungi, viruses, scabies, acne, rosacea, or other conditions.
- What's tops in topical steroid treatments? National Psoriasis Foundation https://www.psoriasis.org/about-psoriasis/treatments/topicals/steroids/potency-chart
- Cormax (clobetasone propionate) DPT Laboratories, Ltd. https://www.drugs.com/pro/cormax.html
- Clobetasol Propionate Topical Ointment Cleveland Clinic 2020 https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/drugs/19019-clobetasol-propionate-topical-ointment
Related Medical Questions
- How effective is clobetasol for hair growth?
- How do you apply clobetasol propionate for lichen sclerosus (lichen sclerosis)?
- Halobetasol vs. clobetasol - how do they compare?
- What is clobetasol propionate cream used for?
- Can clobetasol make you gain weight?
- Can you use clobetasol on your face?
- How do you use clobetasol propionate on your scalp?
- Does clobetasol propionate topical solution help hair grow back?
- How long should you use clobetasol propionate cream for?
- What's difference between Olux and Olux-E?
- Clobetasol Information for Consumers
- Clobetasol Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Clobetasol (detailed)