How long should you use clobetasol propionate cream for?
Medically reviewed by Carmen Fookes, BPharm. Last updated on July 21, 2020.
Clobetasol propionate may be used to treat moderate-to-severe eczema, psoriasis, and other skin conditions off-label, but should only be used for the shortest time possible. Treatment should not exceed two weeks for eczema/dermatitis or psoriasis and no more than 50 grams of cream or ointment should be used per week.
When used to treat lichen sclerosus, treatment may be required for up to 12 weeks. However, only a very small amount (0.5g) of clobetasol propionate is used once a day.
This is because clobetasol propionate is classed as a super potent corticosteroid. Using more cream or ointment than recommended, or applying clobetasol propionate for longer than two weeks for eczema or psoriasis, could lead to side effects such as skin thinning, and rarely, growth retardation in children, cataracts, glaucoma, or suppression of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis.
Clobetasol propionate is supplied in tamper-evident tubes of 15g, 30g, 45 g, and 60 g. Common brand names for clobetasone propionate include Cormax, Embeline, and Temovate.
Clobetasol propionate is not recommended in children under 12 years of age and the area of skin being treated with clobetasol propionate should never be covered with occlusive bandages or dressings.
- Clobetasol Cream,Ointment Drugs.com https://www.drugs.com/pro/clobetasol-cream-ointment.html#:~:text=Clobetasol%20Propionate%20Cream%20USP%2C%200.05,51672%2D1258%2D3.
- What's tops in topical steroid treatments? National Psoriasis Foundation https://www.psoriasis.org/about-psoriasis/treatments/topicals/steroids/potency-chart
- Cormax (clobetasone propionate) DPT Laboratories, Ltd. https://www.drugs.com/pro/cormax.html
- Clobetasol Propionate Topical Ointment Cleveland Clinic 2020 https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/drugs/19019-clobetasol-propionate-topical-ointment
Related Medical Questions
- How effective is clobetasol for hair growth?
- How do you apply clobetasol propionate for lichen sclerosus (lichen sclerosis)?
- How long does it take for clobetasol propionate to work?
- Halobetasol vs. clobetasol - how do they compare?
- What is clobetasol propionate cream used for?
- Can clobetasol make you gain weight?
- Can you use clobetasol on your face?
- How do you use clobetasol propionate on your scalp?
- Does clobetasol propionate topical solution help hair grow back?
- What's difference between Olux and Olux-E?
- Clobetasol Information for Consumers
- Clobetasol Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Clobetasol (detailed)