How does Tremfya work to treat plaque psoriasis?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com Last updated on Sep 10, 2019.
Official Answerby Drugs.com
Tremfya is a biologic therapy that selectively blocks only interleukin 23 (IL-23), an inflammatory cytokine that plays a key role in plaque psoriasis. IL-23 is found in the skin of patients with psoriasis, and leads to inflammatory reactions seen in psoriasis.
Tremfya (guselkumab) from Janssen Biotech, Inc. is used for the treatment of adults with moderate to severe plaque psoriasis who are candidates for systemic therapy or phototherapy.
In studies, patients using Tremfya experienced significant improvement in clearance of skin lesions and greater improvement in their symptoms of plaque psoriasis, which included itch, pain, stinging, burning and skin tightness when compared with placebo.
Related Medical Questions
- How long after stopping methotrexate will it be completely out of my system?
- What is the difference between Ixifi and Remicade?
- How does Ilumya work to treat psoriasis?
- What are the new drugs for the treatment of plaque psoriasis?
- What are the different brands of methotrexate?
- What are the different brands of tazarotene?