Is Sublocade a controlled substance?
Medically reviewed by Leigh Ann Anderson, PharmD. Last updated on April 6, 2021.
- Yes, Sublocade (buprenorphine) is classified by the DEA as a schedule 3 controlled substance with moderate abuse potential.
- Medicines in schedule 3 have a potential for abuse less than those in schedule 1 and 2 (for example, heroin or oxycodone).
- Abuse of schedule 3 substances may lead to moderate or low physical dependence or high psychological dependence.
Learn more: The Controlled Substances Act (CSA) Schedules
Sublocade (buprenorphine) is a long-acting, once-monthly subcutaneous (given under the skin) injection. It steadily releases buprenorphine into your bloodstream for the treatment of opiate dependence (opioid use disorder or opioid addiction). It is not for use as a pain medicine.
Sublocade is only given by a healthcare provider and is not available in retail pharmacies. Your doctor will order Sublocade for you and also administer it each month (with at least 26 days between treatments). It is given as a subcutaneous injection (shot under the skin) in your stomach area. Normally, your doctor will give you this injection in their office.
Serious harm or death could result if Sublocade is given intravenously (IV) into your vein.
This is not all the information you need to know about Sublocade (buprenorphine) for safe and effective use. Review the full Sublocade information here, and discuss this information and any questions you have with your doctor or other health care provider.
- Sublocade (buprenorphine) prescribing information. Drugs.com. Accessed April 6, 2021 at https://www.drugs.com/sublocade.html
- Sublocade.com. How Sublocade works. Accessed April 6, 2021 at https://www.sublocade.com/how-sublocade-works
- Sublocade (buprenorphine) extended-release. Product Information. Indivior. North Chesterfield, VA. Accessed April 6, 2021 at https://www.sublocade.com/
- Sublocade Medication Guide. Product Information. Indivior. North Chesterfield, VA. Accessed April 6, 2021 at https://www.sublocade.com/Content/pdf/medication-guide.pdf
Related Medical Questions
- How long does Suboxone stay in your system?
- Sublocade vs Suboxone - What's the difference between them?
- Is Sublocade covered by Medicaid?
- Is Sublocade an addictive drug?
- Who makes Sublocade in the U.S?
- How does Sublocade work?
- Does Sublocade need to be refrigerated?
- How is Sublocade administered?
- Is buprenorphine an opiate / narcotic?
- Does Suboxone help with pain?
- Is buprenorphine the same as Suboxone?
- Can you take Subutex with opioids in your system?
- What are the different brands of buprenorphine?
- What are the different types of buprenorphine/naloxone?
- How long does Sublocade last?