How long does it take for Lucemyra (lofexidine) to work?
How quickly does Lucemyra work?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jul 20, 2020.
Lucemyra (lofexidine) works quickly to help reduce the symptoms of opioid withdrawal in adults who stop taking an opioid drug suddenly. After taking a single dose of Lucemyra, peak plasma concentration (the maximum level of the drug reached in the blood) is achieved 3-5 hours after Lucemyra is taken.
In clinical studies, Lucemyra started to work on the first day of use, providing some symptom relief. Importantly, the biggest improvement in opioid withdrawal symptom relief was experienced on day 2 and 3 of treatment, which is often when symptoms are most severe. Lucemyra also continued to reduce symptoms during the peak period of symptoms, which is generally the first 5 to 7 days after last opioid use.
The amount of time a person will experience opioid withdrawal systems varies and depends on the opioid drug being stopped. Symptoms of opioid withdrawal can appear within 8 hours of stopping a drug and can continue for 7 to 14 days or more for longer acting opioids.
Lucemyra is a central alpha-2 adrenergic agonist that works by reducing the release of norepinephrine. It is taken for up to 14 days, with the dose being gradually reduced over the late 2 to 4 days.
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Lucemyra. Highlights of Prescribing Information. [Accessed July 21, 2020]. Available online at: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2018/209229s000lbl.pdf.
- Clinical Guidelines for Withdrawal Management and Treatment of Drug Dependence in Closed Settings. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2009. 4, Withdrawal Management. Available online from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK310652/.
- American Addiction Centers. Opiate Withdrawal Timelines, Symptoms, and Treatment. Last updated July 10, 2020. [Accessed July 21, 2020]. Available online at: https://americanaddictioncenters.org/withdrawal-timelines-treatments/opiate.
- Lucemyra. What is Lucemyra? [Accessed July 21, 2020]. Available online at: https://lucemyra.com/withdrawal-symptom-relief-with-lucemyra/#!/studied.
Related Medical Questions
- How does Lucemyra work in the treatment of opioid withdrawal?
- Is Lucemyra (lofexidine) a controlled drug?
- How do you get Lucemyra (lofexidine)?
- How long does Suboxone block opiates?
- Does methadone show up on a drug test?
- Is methadone an opiate blocker?
- How long does methadone withdrawal last?