Is Lucemyra (lofexidine) a controlled drug?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on July 15, 2020.
Lucemyra is a central alpha-2 adrenergic agonist
Lucemyra is not an opioid drug
Why might people think that Lucemyra is a controlled drug?
Lucemyra is used to reduce the symptoms of opioid withdrawal in adults who stop taking an opioid drug suddenly. It is not used on its own for the treatment of opioid use disorder (opioid addiction), but Lucemyra may be prescribed as part of a complete treatment program for the treatment of opioid use disorder. To get Lycemyra you require a prescription for it from a health care provider.
While Lucemyra is not a controlled substance, other drugs used in the treatment of opioid use disorder, such as methadone, are classified as controlled substances.
Why are some drugs classed as controlled substances?
Certain drugs, substances or chemicals are classified as controlled substances and are more closely regulated than other drugs. They are classified into five categories or schedules depending on what they are approved to treat and according to their abuse or dependency potential. Drugs with a high potential for abuse and potential to create severe dependence are listed as Schedule I drugs and those with the least potential for abuse are listed as Schedule V drugs.
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Lucemyra. Highlights of Prescribing information. [Accessed July 15, 2020]. Available online at: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2018/209229s000lbl.pdf.
- United States Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA). Drug Scheduling. Controlled Substances. May 5. 2020. [Accessed July 15, 2020]. Available online at: https://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/schedules/orangebook/c_cs_alpha.pdf
- United States Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA). Drug Scheduling. [Accessed July 15, 2020]. Available online at: https://www.dea.gov/drug-scheduling.
Related Medical Questions
- How does Lucemyra make you feel?
- How does Lucemyra work in the treatment of opioid withdrawal?
- How do you get Lucemyra (lofexidine)?
- How long does lofexidine typically take to work?
- How long does Suboxone block opiates?
- How long does opioid withdrawal last?
- How long does methadone withdrawal last?
- Does methadone show up on a drug test?
- Suboxone vs methadone: What’s the difference?
- Is methadone an opiate blocker?
- What is a methadone clinic?
- How is Sublocade administered?