How do you get Lucemyra (lofexidine)?
Do you need a prescription for Lucemyra?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jul 14, 2020.
Lucemyra (lofexidine) is a medication that you get from a pharmacy and need a prescription to obtain. Lucemyra is not an opioid drug, but is a type of drug called a central alpha-2 adrenergic agonist. It is used to help prevent the symptoms of opioid withdrawal in adults when they stop taking opioids suddenly. It is not a treatment for opioid use disorder (opioid addiction) on its own, but may be prescribed as part of a complete treatment program.
How is Lucemyra dispensed?
Lucemyra is dispensed by a pharmacist and comes in the form of a tablet. Lucemyra tablets are dispensed and stored in their original container and should be kept at room temperature 68oF to 77oF (20oC to 25oC) and protected from heat and moisture. The bottle the Lucemyra is dispensed in contains a desiccant pack to keep the tablets dry. This should not be removed before all of the tablets are used. Like other medications, Lucemyra should be stored out of sight and reach of children.
How will your health care provider prescribe Lucemyra?
Health care providers usually prescribe a starting dose of three Lucemyra tablets taken 4 times a day for 5-7 days after the last use of an opioid. This is the period of peak withdrawal symptoms. After 5-7 days the dose of Lycemyra is gradually reduced over a period of 2-4 days.
It’s important to remember when taking Lucemyra:
- To follow the exact instructions given by your health care provider.
- To wait 5-6 hours between doses.
- That it can be taken for up to 14 days.
- To gradually reduce your dose.
- That you should not stop taking Lucemyra without discussing it with your health care provider first.
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Lucemyra Highlights of Prescribing Information. [Accessed July 15, 2020]. Available online at: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2018/209229s000lbl.pdf.
Related Medical Questions
- How does Lucemyra work in the treatment of opioid withdrawal?
- How long does it take for Lucemyra (lofexidine) to work?
- Is Lucemyra (lofexidine) a controlled drug?
- How long does Suboxone block opiates?
- Does methadone show up on a drug test?
- Is methadone an opiate blocker?
- How long does methadone withdrawal last?