When is the best time of day to take Jardiance?
Medically reviewed by Sally Chao, MD. Last updated on Sep 16, 2020.
Jardiance is a drug used to treat type 2 diabetes. It's taken once daily in the morning, with or without food. Your body absorbs the drug rapidly, reaching its peak level in your system about an hour and a half after you take it. The recommended dose is 10 mg, but it may be increased to 25 mg with your doctor’s recommendation.
Jardiance is a newer type of drug to treat type 2 diabetes. It's in a class of drugs called sodium-glucose cotransporter-2 (SGLT2) inhibitors. Like other SGLT2 inhibitors, Jardiance lowers blood sugar levels by preventing your kidneys from reabsorbing excess sugar, causing more sugar to be passed through urination.
While it may be prescribed on its own, Jardiance is often given to patients in addition to another type 2 diabetes drug called metformin when metformin is not enough to manage your blood glucose levels. Metformin is typically the first line of treatment for type 2 diabetes. Synjardy is another prescription available that combines the two drugs.
Newer drugs like Jardiance may have additional benefits besides lowering blood sugar levels, such as weight loss and potentially preventing heart problems, noted a study published in the New England Journal of Medicine.
However, Jardiance is an expensive option because no generic versions are available.
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Jardiance. December 2016. Available at: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2016/204629s008lbl.pdf. [Accessed August 11, 2020].
- American Diabetes Association. What Are My Options? Available at: https://www.diabetes.org/diabetes/medication-management/oral-medication/what-are-my-options. [Accessed August 11, 2020].
- Ndefo UA, Anidiobi NO, Basheer E, Eaton AT. Empagliflozin (Jardiance): A Novel SGLT2 Inhibitor for the Treatment of Type-2 Diabetes. P T. 2015;40(6):364-368. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4450666/.
- Zinman B, Wanner C, Lachin JM, et al. Empagliflozin, Cardiovascular Outcomes, and Mortality in Type 2 Diabetes. N Engl J Med. 2015 Nov 26; 373:2117-2128. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa1504720.
Related Medical Questions
- How to avoid yeast infections on Jardiance?
- What does Jardiance do to your perineum?
- Does Jardiance cause weight loss?
- How long does it take for Jardiance to work?
- What is Jardiance used for and how does it work?
Related Support Groups
- Jardiance (11 questions, 20 members)