Does Aubagio help with fatigue?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Sep 1, 2021.
Aubagio is unlikely to reduce fatigue associated with Multiple Sclerosis (MS). 85% of patients with MS report fatigue and 76.6% report that fatigue has a significant impact on their lives. One study found ponesimod to be superior to Aubagio at reducing fatigue as measured by The Fatigue Symptoms and Impacts Questionnaire–Relapsing Multiple Sclerosis which is a patient-reported questionnaire designed to assess fatigue-related symptoms and how they affect people with MS. The investigators found that the fatigue of ponesimod patients stabilized, while that of the Aubagio patients worsened over time.
Fatigue may be a sign of liver dysfunction and you should call your doctor if you develop unexplained fatigue or your fatigue worsens, especially if you have other symptoms such as unexplained nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, poor appetite, yellow skin, or dark urine.
Aubagio is more effective at reducing the relapse rate for MS and the risk of disability progression.
- Treatment with Aubagio significantly reduced the annualized relapse rate for MS compared to patients who received a placebo. There was a consistent reduction of the ARR noted in subgroups defined by sex, age group, prior multiple sclerosis therapy, and baseline disease activity.
- There was also a significant reduction in the risk of disability progression after approximately two years that was sustained for 12 weeks.
- #MSVirtual2020 – Ponesimod Superior to Aubagio in Delaying Disability Progression in Relapsing MS, Trial Data Show. Sept 10th, 2020. Multiple Sclerosis News Today. https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.com/news-posts/2020/09/02/msvirtual2020-ponesimod-superior-aubagio-disability-progression-relapsing-ms/
- Teriflunomide (Aubagio) (14 mg Film-coated Tablet): Teriflunomide is Indicated as Monotherapy for the Treatment of Patients with Relapsing-Remitting Multiple Sclerosis to Reduce the Frequency of Clinical Exacerbations and to Delay the Accumulation of Physical Disability [Internet]. Ottawa (ON): Canadian Agency for Drugs and Technologies in Health; 2014 Oct. APPENDIX 2, PATIENT INPUT SUMMARY. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK253645/
- Aubagio (teriflunomide). Updated 07/2021. Genzyme Corporation https://www.drugs.com/pro/aubagio.html
- Aubagio (teriflunomide). 2021. https://www.aubagio.com/
Related medical questions
- Does Aubagio cause weight gain or loss?
- Who makes Aubagio and where is it made?
- Should I take Aubagio in the morning or night?
- What are the new drugs used for multiple sclerosis (MS)?
- Does Aubagio suppress the immune system?
- Ocrevus vs Aubagio: How do they compare for MS?
- How long do Aubagio side effects last?
- Can Aubagio cause PML as a side effect?
- Does Aubagio work in multiple sclerosis (MS)?
- How long can you live with multiple sclerosis?
- What are the early warning signs of Multiple Sclerosis?
- Aubagio Information for Consumers
- Aubagio Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Aubagio (detailed)