Is acetaminophen (Tylenol) an NSAID Drug?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Apr 15, 2019.
Official Answerby Drugs.com
No, acetaminophen (Tylenol) is not classified as an NSAID (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug). Acetaminophen is classified as a miscellaneous analgesic for mild to moderate pain and fever.
It is hypothesized that acetaminophen may inhibit COX enzymes, similar to the way NSAIDs work, but without the anti-inflammatory component. Acetaminophen typically has a lower effect on inflammatory pain than NSAIDs.
Acetaminophen is used to treat many conditions such as headache, muscle aches, arthritis, backache, toothaches, colds, and fevers.
Acetaminophen does not inhibit thromboxane and does not alter platelet aggregation, like aspirin, therefore it is usually the pain reliever of choice for patients who take a blood thinner. However, if you take a blood thinner, be sure to check with your doctor or pharmacist before taking acetaminophen long-term or in high doses as acetaminophen may lead to bleeding. If you combine a blood thinner with acetaminophen, be sure to report any signs of bleeding to your health care provider, including pain, headache, dizziness, weakness, prolonged bleeding from cuts, increased menstrual flow, unexpected vaginal bleeding, nosebleeds, gum bleeding, unusual bruising, red or dark urine, or red or black (tarry) stools.
Related Drug Information
Other Medical Questions
- Is acetaminophen a blood thinner?
- Can I use Tylenol for dengue fever?
- Can I take Tylenol while pregnant?
- Can I give my dog Tylenol?
- Is Tylenol an anti-inflammatory drug?
- Is acetaminophen the same as Tylenol?
- Acetaminophen vs ibuprofen: What is the difference?
- What antibiotics are used to treat bronchitis?
- Can you take paracetamol (acetaminophen) with antibiotics?
- Can I take Tylenol while taking indomethacin and can these drugs be alternated every 3 hours?
- Can I take cyclobenzaprine and Tylenol together?
- Is it safe to take two 800 milligram ibuprofen with Tylenol Extra Strength?
- Is Tylenol (acetaminophen) an NSAID?
- Tylenol vs Advil: What's the difference?