Is acetaminophen (Tylenol) an NSAID Drug?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on April 5, 2021.
No, acetaminophen (Tylenol) is not classified as an NSAID (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug). Acetaminophen is classified as a miscellaneous analgesic for mild to moderate pain and fever.
It is hypothesized that acetaminophen may inhibit COX enzymes, similar to the way NSAIDs work, but without the anti-inflammatory component. Acetaminophen typically has a lower effect on inflammatory pain than NSAIDs.
Acetaminophen is used to treat many conditions such as headache, muscle aches, arthritis, backache, toothaches, colds, and fevers.
Acetaminophen does not inhibit thromboxane and does not alter platelet aggregation, like aspirin, therefore it is usually the pain reliever of choice for patients who take a blood thinner.
However, if you take a blood thinner, be sure to check with your doctor or pharmacist before taking acetaminophen long-term or in high doses as acetaminophen may lead to bleeding.
If you combine a blood thinner with acetaminophen, be sure to report any signs of bleeding to your health care provider, including pain, headache, dizziness, weakness, prolonged bleeding from cuts, increased menstrual flow, unexpected vaginal bleeding, nosebleeds, gum bleeding, unusual bruising, red or dark urine, or red or black (tarry) stools.
Related Medical Questions
- Can I take Meloxicam and Aleve or Tylenol together?
- What's the best sore throat medicine to use?
- Tylenol vs Advil: What's the difference?
- Which painkiller should you use?
- Acetaminophen vs Ibuprofen: Which is better?
- Can I take cyclobenzaprine and Tylenol together?
- What is paracetamol called in the USA?
- Is Tylenol (acetaminophen) an NSAID?
- Can I take Tylenol while taking indomethacin and can these drugs be alternated every 3 hours?
- Is it safe to take ibuprofen (Advil) with acetaminophen (Tylenol)?
- How long does it take for Tylenol to start working?
- Is acetaminophen the same as Tylenol?
- Is Tylenol (acetaminophen) a blood thinner?
- Is it safe to take acetaminophen every day?
- Cold, flu, hay fever, or COVID - Which one do I have?