Is Tylenol (acetaminophen) an NSAID?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Nov 2, 2020.
Tylenol is classified as a miscellaneous analgesic for mild to moderate pain and fever. It is hypothesized that acetaminophen may inhibit COX enzymes, similar to the way NSAIDs work, but without the anti-inflammatory component. Tylenol typical has a lower effect on inflammatory pain than NSAIDs.
Acetaminophen may act by several different mechanisms, but the exact mechanisms have still not been defined. Acetaminophen is used to treat many conditions such as headache, muscle aches, arthritis, backache, toothaches, colds, and fevers.
Acetaminophen is usually the pain reliever of choice for patients who take a blood thinner. Acetaminophen does not inhibit thromboxane and does not alter platelet aggregation, like aspirin. However, if you take a blood thinner, be sure to check with your doctor or pharmacist before taking acetaminophen as prolonged or high doses of acetaminophen may lead to bleeding. If you combine a blood thinner with acetaminophen, be sure to report any signs of bleeding to your doctor, including pain, headache, dizziness, weakness, prolonged bleeding from cuts, increased menstrual flow, vaginal bleeding, nosebleeds, gum bleeding, unusual bruising, red or brown urine, or red or black stools.
For more information on Acetaminophen see: https://www.drugs.com/acetaminophen.html
Related Medical Questions
- Can I take Meloxicam and Aleve or Tylenol together?
- What's the best sore throat medicine to use?
- Tylenol vs Advil: What's the difference?
- Which painkiller should you use?
- Can I take cyclobenzaprine and Tylenol together?
- Acetaminophen vs Ibuprofen: Which is better?
- What is paracetamol called in the USA?
- Can I take Tylenol while taking indomethacin and can these drugs be alternated every 3 hours?
- Is it safe to take ibuprofen (Advil) with acetaminophen (Tylenol)?
- How long does it take for Tylenol to start working?
- Is acetaminophen the same as Tylenol?
- Is it safe to take acetaminophen every day?
- Is Tylenol (acetaminophen) a blood thinner?
- Is acetaminophen (Tylenol) an NSAID Drug?
- Cold, flu, hay fever, or COVID - Which one do I have?