Mirtazapine and Alcohol / Food Interactions
There are 2 alcohol/food/lifestyle interactions with mirtazapine which include:
mirtazapine ↔ food
Moderate Food Interaction
Alcohol can increase the nervous system side effects of mirtazapine such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with mirtazapine. Do not use more than the recommended dose of mirtazapine, and avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medication affects you. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions or concerns.
High Cholesterol (Hyperlipoproteinemia, Hypertriglyceridemia, Sitosterolemia)
Moderate Potential Hazard, Moderate plausibility
mirtazapine - hyperlipidemia
Mirtazapine may significantly elevate serum triglyceride and total cholesterol levels. Patients with preexisting hyperlipidemia may require closer monitoring during mirtazapine therapy, and adjustments made accordingly in their lipid-lowering regimen.
- "Product Information. Remeron (mirtazapine)." Organon, West Orange, NJ.
- Montgomery SA "Safety of mirtazapine: a review." Int Clin Psychopharmacol 10(suppl 4 (1995): 37-45
- Davis R, Wilde MI "Mirtazapine: a review of its pharmacology and therapeutic potential in the management of major depression." Cns Drugs 5 (1996): 389-402
- Smith WT, Glaudin V, Panagides J, Gilvary E "Mirtazapine vs. amitriptyline vs. placebo in the treatment of major depressive disorder." Psychopharmacol Bull 26 (1990): 191-6
mirtazapine drug Interactions
There are 1042 drug interactions with mirtazapine
mirtazapine disease Interactions
There are 13 disease interactions with mirtazapine which include:
- Renal/Liver Disease
- Bipolar Screening
- Alt Elevations
More about mirtazapine
- Mirtazapine Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Patient Tips
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 931 Reviews
- Drug class: tetracyclic antidepressants
Related treatment guides
Drug Interaction Classification
|Highly clinically significant. Avoid combinations; the risk of the interaction outweighs the benefit.|
|Moderately clinically significant. Usually avoid combinations; use it only under special circumstances.|
|Minimally clinically significant. Minimize risk; assess risk and consider an alternative drug, take steps to circumvent the interaction risk and/or institute a monitoring plan.|
|No information available.|
Do not stop taking any medications without consulting your healthcare provider.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.