Indomethacin and Alcohol / Food Interactions
There are 3 alcohol/food/lifestyle interactions with indomethacin which include:
indomethacin ↔ Alcohol (Ethanol)
Moderate Drug Interaction
Ask your doctor before using indomethacin together with ethanol. Do not drink alcohol while taking indomethacin. Alcohol can increase your risk of stomach bleeding caused by indomethacin. Call your doctor at once if you have symptoms of bleeding in your stomach or intestines. This includes black, bloody, or tarry stools, or coughing up blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.
High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)
Severe Potential Hazard, Moderate plausibility
NSAIDs - fluid retention
Fluid retention and edema have been reported in association with the use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). Therapy with NSAIDs should be administered cautiously in patients with preexisting fluid retention, hypertension, or a history of heart failure. Blood pressure and cardiovascular status should be monitored closely during the initiation of NSAID treatment and throughout the course of therapy.
- Heerdink ER, Leufkens HG, Herings RM, Ottervanger JP, Stricker BH, Bakker A "NSAIDs associated with increased risk of congestive heart failure in elderly patients taking diuretics." Arch Intern Med 158 (1998): 1108-12
- "Product Information. Orudis (ketoprofen)." Wyeth-Ayerst Laboratories, Philadelphia, PA.
- Agnholt J, Andreasen F "The effect of ibuprofen therapy on water and electrolyte balance." Acta Med Scand 212 (1982): 65-9
- "Product Information. Lodine (etodolac)." Wyeth-Ayerst Laboratories, Philadelphia, PA.
- Johnson AG, Nguyen TV, Day RO "Do nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs affect blood pressure? A meta-analysis." Ann Intern Med 121 (1994): 289-300
- "Product Information. Nalfon (fenoprofen)." Xspire Pharma, Ridgeland, MS.
- Lewis RV, Toner JM, Jackson PR, Ramsay LE "Effects of indomethacin and sulindac on blood pressure of hypertensive patients." Br Med J 292 (1986): 934-5
- "Product Information. Celebrex (celecoxib)." Searle, Chicago, IL.
- "Product Information. Daypro (oxaprozin)." Searle, Skokie, IL.
- "Product Information. Anaprox (naproxen)." Roche Laboratories, Nutley, NJ.
- "Product Information. Feldene (piroxicam)." Pfizer US Pharmaceuticals, New York, NY.
- "Product Information. Motrin (ibuprofen)." Pharmacia and Upjohn, Kalamazoo, MI.
- Van Den Ouweland FA, Gribnau FW, Meyboom RH "Congestive heart failure due to nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs in the elderly." Age Ageing 17 (1988): 8-16
- Gurwitz JH, Everitt DE, Monane M, et al "The impact of ibuprofen on the efficacy of antihypertensive treatment with hydrochlorothiazide in elderly persons." J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 51 (1996): m74-9
- "Product Information. Clinoril (sulindac)." Merck & Co, Inc, West Point, PA.
- "Product Information. Vioxx (rofecoxib)." Merck & Co, Inc, West Point, PA.
- "Product Information. Naprosyn (naproxen)." Syntex Laboratories Inc, Palo Alto, CA.
- Willkens RF "Worldwide clinical safety experience with diclofenac." Semin Arthritis Rheum 2 Suppl 1 (1985): 105-10
- "Product Information. Indocin (indomethacin)." Merck & Co, Inc, West Point, PA.
- "Product Information. Mobic (meloxicam)" Boehringer-Ingelheim, Ridgefield, CT.
- Brooks CD, Linet OI, Schellenberg D, Turner LF, Defesche CL, Teoh KW, Johnson JH, Assenzo JR "Clinical safety of flurbiprofen." J Clin Pharmacol 30 (1990): 342-51
- Petersson I, Nilsson G, Hansson B-G, Hedner T "Water intoxication associated with non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug therapy." Acta Med Scand 221 (1987): 221-3
- "Product Information. Tolectin (tolmetin)." McNeil Pharmaceutical, Raritan, NJ.
- "Product Information. Ansaid (flurbiprofen)." Pharmacia and Upjohn, Kalamazoo, MI.
- "Product Information. Relafen (nabumetone)." SmithKline Beecham, Philadelphia, PA.
- Easton PA, Koval A "Hypertensive reaction with sulindac." Can Med Assoc J 122 (1980): 1273-4
- Heynen G "Toleration and safety of piroxicam." Eur J Rheumatol Inflamm 8 (1987): 86-93
- Buckley MM, Brogden RN "Ketorolac. A review of its pharmacodynamic and pharmacokinetic properties, and therapeutic potential." Drugs 39 (1990): 86-109
- "Product Information. Bextra (valdecoxib)." Pharmacia Corporation, Peapack, NJ.
High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)
Moderate Potential Hazard, Moderate plausibility
NSAIDs - hypertension
NSAIDs including topicals can lead to the onset of new hypertension or worsening of preexisting hypertension, either of which can contribute to the increased incidence of cardiovascular events. Blood pressure should be monitored closely during NSAID therapy and throughout the course of therapy.
indomethacin drug Interactions
There are 495 drug interactions with indomethacin
indomethacin disease Interactions
There are 13 disease interactions with indomethacin which include:
- Fluid Retention
- Gi Toxicity
- Renal Toxicities
- Cns Effects
- Heart Failure
- Platelet Aggregation Inhibition
Drug Interaction Classification
|No information available.|
Do not stop taking any medications without consulting your healthcare provider.