Fluticasone / umeclidinium / vilanterol and Alcohol/Food Interactions
There is 1 alcohol/food/lifestyle interaction with fluticasone / umeclidinium / vilanterol:
High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)
Moderate Potential Hazard, Moderate plausibility
beta- 2 adrenergic bronchodilators - cardiovascular
Adrenergic bronchodilators can stimulate cardiovascular beta- 1 and beta- 2 receptors, resulting in adverse effects such as tachycardia, palpitation, peripheral vasodilation, blood pressure changes, and ECG changes (e.g., flattening of the T wave; prolongation of the QT interval; ST segment depression). Direct stimulation of cardiac tissues is mediated by beta- 1 receptors and thus less likely to occur with beta-2-selective agents such as albuterol. However, beta-2-selectivity is not absolute and can be lost with larger doses. High dosages of these agents have been associated with precipitation or aggravation of angina, myocardial ischemia, and cardiac arrhythmias. Therapy with adrenergic bronchodilators should be administered cautiously in patients with sensitivity to sympathomimetic amines, hyperthyroidism, and/or underlying cardiovascular disorders such as coronary insufficiency, cardiac arrhythmias, or hypertension. The recommended dosages should not be exceeded.
- Price AH, Clissold SP "Salbutamol in the 1980s. A reappraisal of its clinical efficacy." Drugs 38 (1989): 77-122
- Tranfa CME, Pelaia G, Grembiale RD, Naty S, Durante S, Borrello G "Short-term cardiovascular effects of salmeterol." Chest 113 (1998): 1272-6
- Chodosh S, Crooks LA, Tuck J "Comparative effects of pirbuterol acetate, metaproterenol, and placebo aerosols on pulmonary function and incidence of cardiac ectopy." J Asthma 26 (1989): 309-15
- Finch JS "Cardiovascular toxicity: clinical evaluation of albuterol, isoproterenol and placebo in rising dose tolerance trial." Ann Allergy 47 (1981): 402-4
- Maconochie JG, Forster JK "Dose-response study with high-dose inhaled salmeterol in healthy subjects." Br J Clin Pharmacol 33 (1992): 342-5
- "Product Information. Tornalate Metered Dose (bitolterol)." Dura Pharmaceuticals, San Diego, CA.
- "Adverse effects and complications of treatment with beta-adrenergic agonist drugs. Committee on drugs, the American Academy of Allergy and Immunology." J Allergy Clin Immunol 75 (1985): 443-9
- Kinney EL, Trautlein JJ, Harbaugh CV, Lambert D, Zelis RF "Ventricular tachycardia after terbutaline." JAMA 240 (1978): 2247
- Brogden RN, Faulds D "Salmeterol xinafoate. A review of its pharmacological properties and therapeutic potential in reversible obstructive airways disease." Drugs 42 (1991): 895-912
- Al-Hillawi AH, Hayward R, Johnson NM "Incidence of cardiac arrhythmias in patients taking slow release salbutamol and slow release terbutaline for asthma." Br Med J (Clin Res Ed) 288 (1984): 367
- Suissa S, Hemmelgarn B, Blais L, Ernst P "Bronchodilators and acute cardiac death." Am J Respir Crit Care Med 154 (1996): 1598-602
- Wong CS, Pavord ID, Williams J, Britton JR, Tattersfield AE "Bronchodilator, cardiovascular, and hypokalaemic effects of fenoterol, salbutamol, and terbutaline in asthma." Lancet 336 (1990): 1396-9
- Ence TJ, Tashkin DP, Ho D, Child JS "Acute bronchial and cardiovascular effects of oral pirbuterol and metaproterenol." Ann Allergy 43 (1979): 229-36
- "Product Information. Proventil (albuterol)." Schering Laboratories, Kenilworth, NJ.
- Chazan R, Droszcz W, Maruchin JE "Pharmacodynamics of salbutamol in humans." Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther Toxicol 26 (1988): 385-7
- Breeden CC, Safirstein BH "Albuterol and spacer-induced atrial fibrillation." Chest 98 (1990): 762-3
- Jenne JW "Can oral beta(2) agonists cause heart failure?" Lancet 352 (1998): 1081-2
- "Product Information. Alupent (metaproterenol)." Boehringer-Ingelheim, Ridgefield, CT.
- "Product Information. Ventolin (albuterol)." Glaxo Wellcome, Research Triangle Park, NC.
- Neville E, Corris PA, Vivian J, Nariman S, Gibson GJ "Nebulised salbutamol and angina." Br Med J (Clin Res Ed) 285 (1982): 796-7
- Littner MR, Tashkin DP, Calvarese B, Bautista M "Acute bronchial and cardiovascular effects of increasing doses of pirbuterol acetate aerosol in asthma." Ann Allergy 48 (1982): 14-20
- Godfrey S "Worldwide experience with albuterol (salbutamol)." Ann Allergy 47 (1981): 423-6
- Vathenen AS, Britton JR, Ebden P, Cookson JB, Wharrad HJ, Tattersfield AE "High-dose inhaled albuterol in severe chronic airflow limitation." Am Rev Respir Dis 138 (1988): 850-5
- Trautlein J, Allegra J, Gillin M "Aerosolized terbutaline sulfate--an evalution of efficacy and side effects in patients with reversible airway disease." J Clin Pharmacol 17 (1977): 76-80
- "Product Information. Brethaire (terbutaline)." Novartis Pharmaceuticals, East Hanover, NJ.
- Lampert MB, Hibbard J, Weinert L, Briller J, Lindheimer M, Lang RM "Peripartum heart failure associated with prolonged tocolytic therapy." Am J Obstet Gynecol 168 (1993): 493-5
- Shovlin CL, Tam FW "Salbutamol nebuliser and precipitation of critical cardiac ischaemia." Lancet 336 (1990): 1258
- Mettauer B, Rouleau JL, Burgess JH "Detrimental arrhythmogenic and sustained beneficial hemodynamic effects of oral salbutamol in patients with chronic congestive heart failure." Am Heart J 109 (1985): 840-7
- Katz M, Robertson PA, Creasy RK "Cardiovascular complications associated with terbutaline treatment for preterm labor." Am J Obstet Gynecol 139 (1981): 605-8
- Meyer JM, Wenzel CL, Kradjan WA "Salmeterol: a novel, long-acting beta 2-agonist." Ann Pharmacother 27 (1993): 1478-87
- "Product Information. Maxair (pirbuterol)." 3M Pharmaceuticals, St. Paul, MN.
- Gawchik SM, Saccar CL, Noonan M, Reasner DS, DeGraw SS "The safety and efficacy of nebulized levalbuterol compared with racemic albuterol and placebo in the treatment of asthma in pediatric patients." J Allerg Clin Immunol 103 (1999): 615-21
- Richards DM, Brogden RN "Pirbuterol. A preliminary review of its pharmacological properties and therapeutic efficacy in reversible bronchospastic disease." Drugs 30 (1985): 6-21
- Brogden RN, Speight TM, Avery GS "Terbutaline: a preliminary report of its pharmacological properties and therapeutic efficacy in asthma." Drugs 6 (1973): 324-32
- "Product Information. Xopenex (levalbuterol)." Sepracor, Marlborough, MA.
- Pinnas JL, Bhatt BD, Campbell SC, Kemp JP, Tinkelman DG "Dose-response study of nebulized bitolterol mesylate solution in asthmatic patients." Chest 91 (1987): 533-9
- Sanders JP, Potter DE, Ellis S, Bee DE, Grant JA "Metabolic and cardiovascular effects of carbuterol and metaproterenol." J Allergy Clin Immunol 60 (1977): 174-9
- Bengtsson B, Fagerstrom PO "Extrapulmonary effects of terbutaline during prolonged administration." Clin Pharmacol Ther 31 (1982): 726-32
- Maguire GP, Emirgil C "Bronchodilator and side effects of different modes of administration of metaproterenol: inhaled, oral, and in combination." Am J Med Sci 291 (1986): 168-74
- Whitsett TL, Manion CV, Wilson MF "Cardiac, pulmonary and neuromuscular effects of clenbuterol and terbutaline compared with placebo." Br J Clin Pharmacol 12 (1981): 195-200
- Nathan RA, Bronsky EA, Dockhorn RJ, Kemp JP "Multicenter dose-ranging study of bitolterol mesylate solution for nebulization in children with asthma." Ann Allergy 72 (1994): 209-16
- Hibbard JU "Chronic terbutaline therapy and peripartum cardiomyopathy: a case-control study." Hypertens Pregnancy 15 (1996): 183-91
- Spitzer WO, Suissa S, Ernst P, Horwitz RI, Habbick B, Cockcroft D, Boivin JF, McNutt M, Buist AS, Rebuck AS "The use of beta-agonists and the risk of death and near death from asthma." N Engl J Med 326 (1992): 501-6
- "Product Information. Severent (salmeterol)." Glaxo Wellcome, Research Triangle Park, NC.
- Bierman CW, Kemp JP, Nathan RA "Efficacy and safety of inhaled bitolterol mesylate via metered-dose inhaler in children with asthma." Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 76 (1996): 27-35
- Larsson S "Long-term treatment with beta2-adrenostimulants in asthma. Side effects, selectivity, tolerance, and routes of administration." Acta Med Scand Suppl 608 (1977): 1-40
- Wolfe JD, Yamate M, Biedermann AA, Chu TJ "Comparison of the acute cardiopulmonary effects of oral albuterol, metaproterenol, and terbutaline in asthmatics." JAMA 253 (1985): 2068-72
- Wagner JM, Morton MJ, Johnson KA, O'Grady JP, Speroff L "Terbutaline and maternal cardiac function." JAMA 246 (1981): 2697-701
- Braden GL, Germain MJ, Mulhern JG, Hafer JG, Bria WF "Hemodynamic, cardiac, and electrolyte effects of low-dose aerosolized terbutaline sulfate in asthmatic patients." Chest 114 (1998): 380-7
- Larsson S, Svedmyr N "Bronchodilating effect and side effects of beta2- adrenoceptor stimulants by different modes of administration (tablets, metered aerosol, and combinations thereof). A study with salbutamol inasthmatics." Am Rev Respir Dis 116 (1977): 861-9
Fluticasone / umeclidinium / vilanterol drug interactions
There are 492 drug interactions with fluticasone / umeclidinium / vilanterol
Fluticasone / umeclidinium / vilanterol disease interactions
There are 13 disease interactions with fluticasone / umeclidinium / vilanterol which include:
- milk protein allergies
- anticholinergic effects
- hepatic impairment
- ocular herpes simplex
- ocular toxicities
- severe liver impairment
More about fluticasone / umeclidinium / vilanterol
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- En Español
- 104 Reviews
- Drug class: bronchodilator combinations
Related treatment guides
Drug Interaction Classification
|Highly clinically significant. Avoid combinations; the risk of the interaction outweighs the benefit.|
|Moderately clinically significant. Usually avoid combinations; use it only under special circumstances.|
|Minimally clinically significant. Minimize risk; assess risk and consider an alternative drug, take steps to circumvent the interaction risk and/or institute a monitoring plan.|
|No interaction information available.|
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.