Implanon (etonogestrel) and Alcohol / Food Interactions
There is 1 alcohol/food/lifestyle interaction with Implanon (etonogestrel):
High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)
Moderate Potential Hazard, Moderate plausibility
estrogens/progestogens - fluid retention
Estrogens and progestogens may cause fluid retention, particularly when given in high dosages or for prolonged periods. Therapy with these agents should be administered cautiously in patients who have preexisting problems with excess fluid. In addition, patients with conditions that may be adversely affected by fluid accumulation, such as asthma, epilepsy, migraine, and cardiovascular or renal dysfunction, should be observed for exacerbation of their condition during estrogen and/or progestogen therapy.
- "Product Information. Estrace (estradiol)." Warner Chilcott Laboratories, Rockaway, NJ.
- "Product Information. Micronor (norethindrone)" Ortho McNeil Pharmaceutical, Raritan, NJ.
- "Product Information. Demulen (ethinyl estradiol-ethynodiol)." Searle, Skokie, IL.
- "Product Information. Provera (medroxyprogesterone)." Pharmacia and Upjohn, Kalamazoo, MI.
- "Product Information. Megace (megestrol)." Bristol-Myers Squibb, Princeton, NJ.
- "Product Information. Ovrette (norgestrel)" Wyeth-Ayerst Laboratories, Philadelphia, PA.
- "Product Information. Emcyt (estramustine)." Pharmacia and Upjohn, Kalamazoo, MI.
- "Product Information. Norplant System (levonorgestrel)" Wyeth-Ayerst Laboratories, Philadelphia, PA.
- "Product Information. Climara (estradiol)." Berlex, Richmond, CA.
- "Product Information. Ortho-Est (estropipate)." Ortho McNeil Pharmaceutical, Raritan, NJ.
- "Product Information. Estratab (esterified estrogens)" Solvay Pharmaceuticals Inc, Marietta, GA.
- "Product Information. Estraderm (estradiol)." Ciba Pharmaceuticals, Summit, NJ.
- "Product Information. Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone)." Pharmacia and Upjohn, Kalamazoo, MI.
- "Product Information. Premarin (conjugated estrogens)." Wyeth-Ayerst Laboratories, Philadelphia, PA.
- "Product Information. Vivelle (estradiol)." Ciba Pharmaceuticals, Summit, NJ.
- "Product Information. Ogen (estropipate topical)" Pharmacia and Upjohn, Kalamazoo, MI.
- "Product Information. Estinyl Tablets (ethinyl estradiol)" Schering Corporation, Kenilworth, NJ.
Implanon (etonogestrel) drug Interactions
There are 237 drug interactions with Implanon (etonogestrel)
Implanon (etonogestrel) disease Interactions
There are 9 disease interactions with Implanon (etonogestrel) which include:
- Abnormal Genital Bleeding
- Hepatic Neoplasms
- Breast Malignancy
- Liver Disease
- Fluid Retention
- Retinal Thrombosis
- Gallbladder Disease
Drug Interaction Classification
|Highly clinically significant. Avoid combinations; the risk of the interaction outweighs the benefit.|
|Moderately clinically significant. Usually avoid combinations; use it only under special circumstances.|
|Minimally clinically significant. Minimize risk; assess risk and consider an alternative drug, take steps to circumvent the interaction risk and/or institute a monitoring plan.|
|No information available.|
Do not stop taking any medications without consulting your healthcare provider.
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided by Multum is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. In addition, the drug information contained herein may be time sensitive and should not be utilized as a reference resource beyond the date hereof. This material does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients, or recommend therapy. Multum's information is a reference resource designed as supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill, knowledge, and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or combination is safe, effective, or appropriate for any given patient. Multum Information Services, Inc. does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information Multum provides. Copyright 2000-2018 Multum Information Services, Inc. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.