Diazepam and Alcohol / Food Interactions
There are 3 alcohol/food/lifestyle interactions with diazepam which include:
diazePAM ↔ Caffeine
Minor Drug Interaction
Consumer information for this minor interaction is not currently available. Some minor drug interactions may not be clinically relevant in all patients. Minor drug interactions do not usually cause harm or require a change in therapy. However, your healthcare provider can determine if adjustments to your medications are needed.
For clinical details see professional interaction data.
diazePAM ↔ food
Moderate Food Interaction
Grapefruit and grapefruit juice may interact with diazePAM and lead to potentially dangerous side effects. Discuss the use of grapefruit products with your doctor. Do not increase or decrease the amount of grapefruit products in your diet without first talking to your doctor. Do not drink alcohol while taking diazePAM. This medication can increase the effects of alcohol. You may feel more drowsy, dizzy, or tired if you take diazePAM with alcohol. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions or concerns.
Moderate Potential Hazard, High plausibility
benzodiazepines - obesity
The plasma half-lives of benzodiazepines may be prolonged in obese patients, presumably due to increased distribution into fat. Marked increases in distribution (> 100%) have been reported for diazepam and midazolam, and moderate increases (25% to 100%) for alprazolam, lorazepam, and oxazepam. Therapy with benzodiazepines should be administered cautiously in obese patients, with careful monitoring of CNS status. Longer dosing intervals may be appropriate. When dosing by weight, loading doses should be based on actual body weight, while maintenance dose should be based on ideal body weight to avoid toxicity.
- "Product Information. Tranxene (clorazepate)." Abbott Pharmaceutical, Abbott Park, IL.
- "Product Information. Librium (chlordiazepoxide)." Roche Laboratories, Nutley, NJ.
- "Product Information. Serax (oxazepam)." Wyeth-Ayerst Laboratories, Philadelphia, PA.
- "Product Information. Ativan (lorazepam)." Wyeth-Ayerst Laboratories, Philadelphia, PA.
- "Product Information. Halcion (triazolam)." Pharmacia and Upjohn, Kalamazoo, MI.
- "Product Information. Klonopin (clonazepam)." Roche Laboratories, Nutley, NJ.
- "Product Information. ProSom (estazolam)." Abbott Pharmaceutical, Abbott Park, IL.
- "Product Information. Restoril (temazepam)." Sandoz Pharmaceuticals Corporation, East Hanover, NJ.
- "Product Information. Valium (diazepam)." Roche Laboratories, Nutley, NJ.
- "Product Information. Xanax (alprazolam)." Pharmacia and Upjohn, Kalamazoo, MI.
- "Product Information. Versed (midazolam)." Roche Laboratories, Nutley, NJ.
- "Product Information. Doral (quazepam)." Wallace Laboratories, Cranbury, NJ.
- "Product Information. Dalmane (flurazepam)." Roche Laboratories, Nutley, NJ.
- American Medical Association, Division of Drugs and Toxicology "Drug evaluations annual 1994." Chicago, IL: American Medical Association; (1994):
Diazepam drug interactions
There are 963 drug interactions with diazepam
Diazepam disease interactions
There are 12 disease interactions with diazepam which include:
- acute alcohol intoxication
- closed-angle glaucoma
- drug dependence
- renal/liver disease
- respiratory depression
- prolonged hypotension
- myasthenia gravis
- renal/liver disease
- paradoxical reactions
More about diazepam
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Patient Tips
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- 518 Reviews
- Drug class: benzodiazepine anticonvulsants
- FDA Alerts (1)
Related treatment guides
Drug Interaction Classification
|No interaction information available.|