Simponi Aria Dosage
Generic name: golimumab 50mg in 4mL
Dosage form: intravenous infusion
Medically reviewed on September 13, 2018.
Dosage in Rheumatoid Arthritis, Psoriatic Arthritis, and Ankylosing Spondylitis
The SIMPONI ARIA dosage regimen is 2 mg per kg given as an intravenous infusion over 30 minutes at weeks 0 and 4, then every 8 weeks thereafter.
For patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA), SIMPONI ARIA should be given in combination with methotrexate. For patients with psoriatic arthritis (PsA) or ankylosing spondylitis (AS), SIMPONI ARIA may be given with or without methotrexate or other non-biologic Disease-modifying Antirheumatic Drugs (DMARDs). Corticosteroids, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), and/or analgesics may be continued during treatment with SIMPONI ARIA.
The efficacy and safety of switching between intravenous and subcutaneous formulations and routes of administration have not been established.
Evaluation for Tuberculosis and Hepatitis B Prior to Dosage
Prior to initiating SIMPONI ARIA and periodically during therapy, evaluate patients for active tuberculosis and test for latent infection [see Warnings and Precautions (5.1)]. Prior to initiating SIMPONI ARIA, test patients for hepatitis B viral infection [see Warnings and Precautions (5.1)].
Important Administration Instructions
SIMPONI ARIA solution for intravenous infusion should be diluted by a healthcare professional using aseptic technique as follows:
- Calculate the dosage and the number of SIMPONI ARIA vials needed based on the recommended dosage of 2 mg/kg and the patient's weight. Each 4 mL vial of SIMPONI ARIA contains 50 mg of golimumab.
- Check that the solution in each vial is colorless to light yellow. The solution may develop a few fine translucent particles, as golimumab is a protein. Do not use if opaque particles, discoloration, or other foreign particles are present.
- Dilute the total volume of the SIMPONI ARIA solution with 0.9% Sodium Chloride Injection, USP to a final volume of 100 mL. For example, this can be accomplished by withdrawing a volume of the 0.9% Sodium Chloride Injection, USP from the 100-mL infusion bag or bottle equal to the total volume of SIMPONI ARIA. Slowly add the total volume of SIMPONI ARIA solution to the 100-mL infusion bag or bottle. Gently mix. Discard any unused solution remaining in the vials. Alternatively, SIMPONI ARIA can be diluted using the same method described above with 0.45% Sodium Chloride Injection, USP.
- Prior to infusion, visually inspect the diluted SIMPONI ARIA solution for particulate matter or discoloration. Do not use if these exist.
- Use only an infusion set with an in-line, sterile, non-pyrogenic, low protein-binding filter (pore size 0.22 micrometer or less).
- Do not infuse SIMPONI ARIA concomitantly in the same intravenous line with other agents. No physical biochemical compatibility studies have been conducted to evaluate the use of SIMPONI ARIA with other intravenous agents in the same intravenous line.
- Infuse the diluted solution over 30 minutes.
- Once diluted, the infusion solution can be stored for 4 hours at room temperature.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Simponi Aria (golimumab)
- Simponi Aria Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- 9 Reviews
- Drug class: TNF alfa inhibitors
- FDA Alerts (3)
Other brands: Simponi