Humulin R Dosage
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Dec 1, 2021.
Important Administration Instructions
- Always check the insulin label before administration to confirm the correct insulin product is being used [see Warnings and Precautions (5.4)].
- Inspect HUMULIN R visually before use. It should appear clear and colorless. Do not use HUMULIN R if particulate matter or coloration is seen.
Route of Administration
- Inject HUMULIN R subcutaneously approximately 30 minutes before meals into the thigh, upper arm, abdomen, or buttocks.
- Rotate injection sites within the same region from one injection to the next to reduce the risk of lipodystrophy and localized cutaneous amyloidosis. Do not inject into areas of lipodystrophy or localized cutaneous amyloidosis [see Warnings and Precautions (5.2) and Adverse Reactions (6)].
- During changes to a patient's insulin regimen, increase the frequency of blood glucose monitoring [see Warnings and Precautions (5.2)].
- Administer HUMULIN R intravenously ONLY under medical supervision with close monitoring of blood glucose and potassium levels to reduce the risk of hypoglycemia and hypokalemia [see Warnings and Precautions (5.3, 5.6), How Supplied/Storage and Handling (16.3)].
- For intravenous use, HUMULIN R should be used at concentrations from 0.1 unit/mL to 1 unit/mL in infusion systems containing 0.9% sodium chloride.
- Individualize and adjust the dosage of HUMULIN R based on the route of administration, the patient's metabolic needs, blood glucose monitoring results, and glycemic control goal.
- HUMULIN R given by subcutaneous injection should generally be used in regimens with an intermediate- or long-acting insulin.
- Dosage adjustments may be needed with changes in physical activity, changes in meal patterns (e.g., macronutrient content or timing of food intake), changes in renal or hepatic function, or during acute illness [see Warnings and Precautions (5.2, 5.3), Use in Specific Populations (8.6, 8.7)].
- Dosage adjustment may be needed when switching from another insulin to HUMULIN R [see Warnings and Precautions (5.2)].
Dosage Adjustment due to Drug Interactions
- Dosage adjustment may be needed when HUMULIN R is co-administered with certain drugs [see Drug Interactions (7)].
Frequently asked questions
- Are Humulin and Humalog the same thing?
- Is Novolin the same as Humulin?
- Humulin N vs Humulin R - What's the difference?
- What is the difference between regular insulin and lispro (Humalog)?
- Can Trulicity be used with insulin?
- How and where should I inject insulin?
- How long can Humulin be unrefrigerated?
- How long does Humulin last?
- Is Humulin fast or long-acting insulin?
- Can regular and lispro insulin (Humalog) be mixed?
More about Humulin R (insulin regular)
- Check interactions
- Compare alternatives
- Pricing & coupons
- Reviews (1)
- Drug images
- Latest FDA alerts (1)
- Side effects
- During pregnancy
- Drug class: insulin
- En español
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.