Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Nov 16, 2020.
Generic name: Teriparatide 250ug in 1mL
Dosage form: injection, solution
The recommended dosage is 20 mcg given subcutaneously once a day. Instruct patients to take supplemental calcium and vitamin D if daily dietary intake is inadequate.
- Administer FORTEO as a subcutaneous injection into the thigh or abdominal region. FORTEO is not approved for intravenous or intramuscular use.
- FORTEO should be administered initially under circumstances in which the patient can sit or lie down if symptoms of orthostatic hypotension occur [see Warnings and Precautions (5.4)].
- Parenteral drug products should be inspected visually for particulate matter and discoloration prior to administration (FORTEO is a clear and colorless liquid). Do not use if solid particles appear or if the solution is cloudy or colored.
- Patients and/or caregivers who administer FORTEO should receive appropriate training and instruction on the proper use of the FORTEO prefilled delivery device (pen) from a qualified health professional.
Recommended Treatment Duration
Use of FORTEO for more than 2 years during a patient's lifetime should only be considered if a patient remains at or has returned to having a high risk for fracture [see Warnings and Precautions (5.1)].
Frequently asked questions
More about Forteo (teriparatide)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Patient Tips
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 127 Reviews
- Drug class: parathyroid hormone and analogs
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.