User Reviews for Forteo to treat Osteoporosis

Forteo has an average rating of 5.5 out of 10 from a total of 99 ratings for the treatment of Osteoporosis. 40% of those users who reviewed Forteo reported a positive effect, while 39% reported a negative effect.

Forteo Rating Summary

5.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 97 medications used in the treatment of Osteoporosis.

19% 19
2% 2
24% 24

Reviews for Forteo

Notahappygirl · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 6, 2021

“Went on for Forteo in October 2020 and have gained 40 pounds I have now taken myself off of it. After reading the many articles about the belly fat and the thigh fat most are saying they’re not gaining weight they’re just getting the girth but I’m getting girth and the weight! Is anyone else out here getting both girth and weight gain?”

Caligal January 15, 2021

“Hello, 55 yo female with osteporosis (-3.5) in my spine. Several vertebral fractures at 53 years. Still very active, youthful, but after healing, started Forteo and was on for 14 months. Beginning at 6 months, experienced leg cramping and stiffness in hips - to the point that at 14 months, could not easily go up or down stairs, hike, etc. it is just too debilitating. I made the decision to go off and try Tymlos now instead, another bone-building med, that's a sister to terapartide.... we'll see how it goes. Goal: finish the next 10 months to have 2 years of bone-building medication as directed by my MD. I have not had a bone density test since initial -3.5 score, so can't comment on effectiveness of either drug at this time. I'll update the review at 2 years after finishing Tymlos. I will need to follow with other osteo medication forever after. Thanks to others for sharing their experiences here to help inform my medical decisions /choices around this Osteo health issue.”

Neki · Taken for less than 1 month January 5, 2021

“I have been using Forteo for about two months. After two or three doses, I suddenly experienced sharp pain from the top of my spine to the bottom of my spine. I couldn't move because of the pain, so I sat still for about forty minutes. The pain slowly eased and finally disappeared completely. I have had a couple other pain episodes in the lumbar area if my spine, but nothing as painful as the first episode. My question is: are these spinal episodes something for which I should be concerned or is Forteo simply zeroing in on my particular orthopedic weakness and should I continue to use this medication?”

Colorado · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 27, 2020

“I started Forteo in May of 2019. I have never experienced the side effects that have been noted. After approximately 6 months of use, I noticed that my back felt stronger. I have not had any back pain since I started this medication. Before doing so, I had episodic back spasms and a general sense of discomfort. Those symptoms went away with these injections. I fell recently on my left wrist and did not experience a break. It took about 10 days for the sprain to heal. This medication is well-worth trying. My one year bone scan was considerably better.”

Jas · Taken for less than 1 month December 20, 2020

“Hi this Jas again. I had posted my review on June 7, 2019. I am so distraught and upset. If there was anything less than zero I would give it to Forteo. I am still recovering. My legs, knees, feet and ankles were so badly affected by Forteo, that it has taken all my strength and will power to fight from becoming crippled. The manufacturer and the prescribing doctors show no responsibility while prescribing this drug. They pretend the effects are not because of Forteo. In fact my prescribing doctor at Shands cooly told me to start using a walker. I have severe bone pain and loss of height from Forteo. I am waiting for a miracle. Please do not take Forteo injections.”

Mimi October 2, 2020

“I have no pain since I started forteo plus my bones are stronger . My bone density is much better within one year ,”

kish · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 16, 2020

“I'm 71 & have been walking 5 miles/day for many years. I started forteo 2/14/20. After a couple months, towards the end of my walk, it was difficult to move my legs, (they just didn't want to move), & @ the same, while my legs were hard to move, I lost my sense of equilibrium. After my walk & after driving home, these symptoms disappeared. The symptoms progressively began sooner after starting my walk, & by 6/8 were starting 3 miles into my walk. The last day I used forteo was 6/7/20, ( 2 days into my 5th devise). by 6/15/20 the symptoms were gone.”

Headache · Taken for less than 1 month February 7, 2020

“After 2 weeks on FORTEO I am experiencing severe headaches and neck pain. I have rarely gotten headaches before. I didn’t inject yesterday but I’m getting the neck pain this morning. Does anyone know how long it takes for Feorteo side effects to go away after discontinuing the med? The rheumatologist told me it only stays on the body 24 hours.”

Gracee · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 6, 2020

“Was on forteo 10 months my spine improved slightly, my hip lost a lot -7.5 this drug is horrible”

Dutch January 5, 2020

“I'm having high blood pressure issues. (Never had a problem with bp ) Muscle and bone pain Leg cramps and muscle spasms in weird places ( ie. Back arms sides) lose of balance . Great deal of problem walking”

Marion · Taken for less than 1 month December 23, 2019

“Unfortunately after just 2 Forteo injections I experienced horrendous side effects, crippling back pain insomnia uncontrollable frequency. Stopped treatment but it took 3 weeks for the side effects to ease. Had to take mixture of painkillers codeine ibuprofen diazepam & paracetamol to ease the pain, I was housebound for 2 weeks. Would not recommend this medication . Also reacted badly to biophosphinates.”

Fliprunner · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 19, 2019

“I have been on Forteo for 19 months. For the last 3 months I have experienced extreme dizziness every few weeks (so dizzy I have to hold tightly onto anything for fear of falling for several minutes) and have gained 8 pounds . After a dizzy spell I am wiped out all day. I'm no longer sure the benefits are worth this.”

M · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 16, 2019

“I'm a 56 year old postmenopausal woman who had two low trauma fractures: a bone in my left foot 6 weeks before my 40th birthday and my lower right tibia at age 53. From 2003 to present, I have increased dietary calcium, Vitamin D, magnesium and weight-bearing exercise. My first Dexascan in 2006 showed osteopenia. My most recent Dexascan in 2019 showed osteoporosis in my spine (-2.6). I started Forteo on July 30 and took my last dose on November 25. In the early morning of November 26, I went to the ER and found out that I had a kidney stone in my ureter. Worst pain I've ever felt. My Primary Care Physician and I both think it was caused by the Forteo as I'd never had a kidney stone before. I stopped taking Forteo and am researching other medications. As for the cost, Lilly has a program that those with private health insurance can qualify. It cost me $4 a pen. If it hadn't been for that, I never would have been able to afford it.”

Ashish November 29, 2019

“My mother is 74 she had been on Forteo for last 9 months. From day one she started injected the drug she is suffering from frequent urination problem and loss of energy. I have ordered the 10 th dose and also received the same but have decided not to go for this option”

GSHM · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 12, 2019

“Ok! Been on the Forteo shot for 4 months. Have scoliosis and osteoporosis! I am bent over at the waist. I had 2 back surgeries in 2013 and 2014 at the same spot L4 and L5. I went back too work after surgeries. Retired in 2015! So finally trying too do something this is 2019. praying this will help me, so I can have surgery to straighten up. The side effects are mild but, back has always hurt at waist. Just a little worse hair loss! But, gotta do something miserable! God Bless everyone!!!”

Hopeful · Taken for less than 1 month October 23, 2019

“I had a complete hysterectomy at age 33 and was diagnosed with full blown osteoporosis at age 50 when I snapped the right foot completely off the leg. Had it surgically reconnected with screws, plates and cadaver bone. Immediately started actonel for a few years, followed by Fosamax. I've broken 9 ribs since 2001, had a severe compression fracture of my t8 vertebrae in 2014. I am a letter carrier for USPS (since '98), am age 61 now, still working, and started forteo Oct 2 2019 because my dexa is 3.9. Forteo is sort of a last hope. Have experienced a little dizziness, but a lot of bone pain in my hips, arms, back and hands. Some muscle pain as well. But I refuse to quit the forteo. I'm a tough old bird and will literally work through this. With Christmas coming in the post office, I'm going to need a great deal of fortitude, but I'll make it!”

Britney · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 23, 2019

“I've been on Forteo for a little over 2 years and it has been a blessing. I'm 56 yrs old with T-scores of -3.0. I've fractured my hip and pelvic without any type of fall or accident. I fell last November and sprained both of my ankles. Without being on the Forteo, my orthopeadic Doc said that my ankles would have been broken. I'm starting to have joint pain now but, still it's better than breaking bones. I have to come off of it this month and dread going on Reclast or Prolia due to the horror stories I've read.”

DSD · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 14, 2019

“I’m on my 4th pen and appear to be having every side effect mentioned here. I am losing my hair, my fingernails look like I bite them, major weight gain in the belly, GERD, depression and problems with my short term memory”

Hopeful · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 20, 2019

“Been on Forteo for 12 months. I was in acute pain with 6 or 7 compression fractures in my spine causing disc to herniate. Took several months before my clinic found out that I had a severe case of osteoporosis. In unbearable pain for 5 months and finally I was given Forteo. I felt a difference in one week. And felt wonderful after a month. Each month it felt that my spinal fractures improved with Forteo, but now I am getting some side effects not so easy to ignore. A lot of joint pain, hands, fingers, knees, neck, hips...every where. Headaches I can tolerate it all. I will stay on Forteo as long as I can afford and am prescribed, but am concerned about "What's next?" I think I am going on Reclast and am very worried about that drug. Hopefully, I will glide onto that with ease. I am in my 70's.”

Ksd · Taken for less than 1 month September 10, 2019

“47 yr old with severe osteoporosis due to complete hysterectomy at age 30. Was placed on Forteo after taken off Tymlos due to side effects. I was only on Forteo for 2 weeks before having to come off it because of depression/irrational thinking, brittle nails, bloated stomach, bruising at injection sites. Endo is putting me on Reclast infusion once a year.”

Rach · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 20, 2019

“I am 47 years of age. At 44 I had a hip replacement, at which time I was diagnosed with severe osteoporosis. I took alendronate and had crippling and extremely painful side effects. I used a walker or a cane at all times. I stopped the Forteo and within a week everything returned to normal but bone loss progressed. I then fractured 4 vertebrae, which was worse than being in labor 24/7 for months. I am on my 3rd month of Forteo and all back pain disappeared. I have experienced back pain since a major vehicle accident at age 17 and another at 20. My back has not been pain free (not even for a few minutes) until now. However, I now am experiencing hip and knee pain, which is quickly increasing in strength. I do not recall a fall that may have jarred them so assume it is Forteo. I will manage through though because I refuse to ever experience spinal fractures again.”

Dawn · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 16, 2019

“I just had to have the aortic valve replaced (Feb 21, 2019) due to calcification. I had mild calcification in 2009 (which my cardiologist neglected to tell me). My rheumatologist told me I should take Forteo for osteoporosis but no warning about calcium levels. Prior to open heart surgery one of the surgeons stated I had the heart of an 82 year old - I'm 66. I firmly believe the condition was accelerated by this drug - wish I had never heard of it. Just checked the list of doctors who have gotten financial kickbacks from the drug company and the name of my rheumatologist is on it. No concern for human life - just padding pockets. Hoping not to be diagnosed with bone cancer next. Just look up your doctor and see who is paying them check under "Dollars for Docs" on a computer search.”

Misty · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 27, 2019

“I started on forteo 4 months ago I decided to stop this on my own when I started developing the side effects after 3rd month. Horrific back pain, hip pain, cramping in back, nauseous, just over all miserable. I felt like I had the flu on top of this pain. I have been off forteo for a little over a week and still have back pain and cramping and feel blah. It made no sense to continue taking something that made me worse I hope this pain clears up quick, I'd almost rather have a fracture and that's sad. Women will get this, the way I can describe the back pain is it is like having back labor almost non stop. I didn't sign up for all this garbage I was better before this damn drug. I want to be able to enjoy my life and grandson and this has made it extremely difficult to enjoy anything. I just hope these side effects stop quick I can't stand it.”

SN · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 21, 2019

“I have just turned 70 and I have been taking Forteo for 18 months - self injecting into my stomach. MY endocrinologist advised me to try this med. as a last resort after taking Actenol/Fosimax for years with no beneficial results and a decrease in quality of life because of lack of mobility. My bone density results are -3.9%. Underwent lumbar fusion and spinal decompression 18 months ago because of 3 herniated discs and spinal stenosis. Then discovered that I had a fracture in L5 vertebra (possibly due to the surgery). Although I was really hesitant in starting Forteo as it is a black-box medication and I am a Vegan (healthy foods only) I have had no side effects except large weight gain (which is very depressing) and my health insurance pays for 90% of the cost. My next bone density test is in August - praying for good results.”

Bingi · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 9, 2019

“Used Forteo for 2 years, it’s the strongest best osteoporosis drug out there. I am a 58 yr old male, severe osteoporosis and broke about half of vertebrae. No side effects till 21 months had issue with GERD/ throat issues, stopped for a month than finished up, using Nasal spray for osteo now and getting on Prolia soon”

Learn more about Osteoporosis