User Reviews for Forteo

Learn more about Forteo.

Forteo Rating Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 141 medications used in the treatment of Osteoporosis.

Reviews for Forteo to treat Osteoporosis

"After one injection, 20 minutes later I was dizzy, nauseous and overall yucky. 4 hrs post injection my acid reflux was so bad, I could not sleep laying down. Next day have had such horrible diarrhea, I am down 3 pounds since the morning. I am not going to take another shot until all this subsides."

Darlink September 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I experienced all of the above including thinning hair & immediate memory loss, it also effected my over all disposition and gave me what I didn't realize until after terminating my use extreme confusion/depression and extreme fatigue. Over all depression lifted a few months later and I was amazed at how my out-look brightened. This treatment definitely has a psychological effect that is not truly recognized. Density went from -2.8 to -2.7. More effects probably over shadowed by the more noticeable ones. Do not recommend this drug to anyone the side effects and effort to use are not worth the extremely small gain. Lost almost 2 years of my life due to my depressive fatigued state. At 68 I would like to have them back."

dsmo456 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed Forteo because of early-onset osteoporosis Plus a rare hereditary bone density disorder called Osteogenesis Imperfecta (O.I./brittle bone disease). At time prescribed, I had a seriously broken arm that DR said would take "a long time to heal", but the Forteo sped up the process as predicted. I've only taken Forteo 2 or 3 months but haven't had another fracture. If you don't have fantastic presciption insurance then you need to skip Forteo because it costs appx. $3500+ per month/per pen and that's obviously well above 95% of people's budget! The med was easy to use and to inject. I felt very little to no discomfort. Don't be intimidated by the glucose- blood-test-sized-ultra-tiny needles."

AtlAmanda (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have only been on Forteo for 2.5 months and have been feeling nauseated, tired and depressed. I have bumps growing on two of my fingers. I have osteoarthritis in my family but never had these bumps before starting this drug. I can tolerate the nausea, low energy and impact on my sleep. I am worried about escalating symptoms of osteoarthritis and depression. The depression is making things far worse. I have broken my foot bones 4 times, and an arm once. I have been told to seek out homeopathic solutions in lieu of pharmaceuticals. Chelation, elderberry, increased K2 and calcium supplements would be my only alternative. Anyone have success with any of these?"

62 years old (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 64 and diagnosed with severe osteoporosis 6 months ago. I began Forteo 3 months ago. Before taking the Forteo I had 7 fractured discs 5 were compression fractures from the osteoporosis. I had already broken a wrist, fingers and several toes. 6 months ago I broke 8 ribs in a car accident. Now two weeks ago I had a fall and was certain from the level of pain that I had broken my arm the ER seemed to think so until the ex-rays came back. Severe bruising, sprain, strain. I am certain that I would have broken a bone in that fall had it not been for the Forteo.The jury is still out I have some side effects, bone aching, occasional stomach ache but nothing that I can't deal with. I have also noted an increase in my height. Plan to continue."

Debra R (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I just started my Forteo. I am 49 yrs old. I have hashimoto Thyroiditis, auto immune hepatitis, auto immune pituitary disease and rheumatoid arthritis. Also asthma from childhood. I've been on steroids every day for 7 years as well as other immunosuppressive drugs. I have osteoporosis of lumbar spine which I have been treated by pain management doc because orthopedic changes significant and orthopedic unable to help. Rheumatologist reinforced necessity of treatment since there is no end to need for steroids in the future. Shots easy to give.... simple step by step guide to assist at first. Knock on wood....no major negative effects at this point. Too early to know much but am very hopeful."

just starting June 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm a 56 year old female. I started on Forteo March 2016 with 3 vertebral fractures. My t-score was -5.6. According to my Endocrinologist I have had a 40 percent improvement in 12 months. My scan in March 2017 showed t-score -4.0. I have also been taking vitamin D3, hormone patches for menopause but most interestingly also vitamin K2 (one tablet a day since starting Forteo) I urge everyone to talk to their doctor and also google the research done on K2. In my opinion maybe Forteo and K2 work well in conjunction with each other. My Endocrinologist said that if my gains were that significant in the next 12 months I will be in the osteopenia range. If I could I would like to stay on Forteo for 3 years but not sure about government regulations"

Cheese cake June 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"No pain with actual injection or at the injection site. Heart palpitations, severe leg cramps, bone and joint pain (not severe)."

Silver Lady (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"On Forteo for 7 weeks now. Saw a Rheumologist who did a bone density told me that I was at high risk especially for wrist fracture due to low bone density. Said my spine looked ok. Said I needed Forteo for 2 years the osteoporosis was so bad. Since starting Forteo I feel extreme fatigue all the time. Also feel muscle weakness, can't keep up with my light exercise routine. Also have had multiple aches and pains in my joints and long bones of arms and legs. Feel deep in the bone, not muscle. Pain seems to migrate from one bone or joint to the other since starting Forteo. Redness, and bruising at injection site. Worst symptom fatigue. May have to stop Forteo"

May Night (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Forteo 2 months now, I had 2 spinal compression fractures, 4 fractured ribs, right side and then I hollered at a dog, another fracture. MRI said osteoporosis, scoliosis, degenerative disc disease, severe osteoarthritis, SURGERY. My bones were mush. I'm suppose to do forteo for 2 to 3 months. Now I have bad stomach aches, hoarse voice, shortness of breath, dizzy, confusion, Charlie horses in legs, and trouble sleeping. Its a complicated, risky surgery. I hope this is all worth it, I feel awful, and crooked badly."

Dog Lady (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had a spinal fusion surgery of T9-S1 just 8 weeks ago. I am a 62-year old female. Recovery was going well. 2 weeks ago, I was asked to start on Forteo. Within 8 days, I began to have knee pains and it is getting worse by the day, making me feel rather unsteady when I walk. Am also having slight dizziness and a constant mild headache. Am going to speak to my surgeon re stopping this medication."

Spakle March 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"So far 3 months on Forteo injection daily. About 6 weeks ago I noticed my nails were chipping vertically so much so that I had to snip every nail down at different times until now my nails are all so short it looks like I have been biting them. I had always had lovely nails until Forteo but Lilly company denies that this is a side effect and my Osteo doc has never heard of this as a side effect. She says I might need more protein in my diet. I feel that I am not being taken seriously about this problem. And I also feel helpless. I have not been able to find the cause of my weakened nails . Please, does anyone else have this problem after taking Forteo."

DianeA in Canada (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"37 year old male, diagnosed worth osteoporosis and osteopenia. Had a long spinal fusion 3 months ago, and have been taking forteo for about 4-5 months now. For the last month and a half, I've just felt all around crappy. Mental fog, chest tightness, shortness of breath, dull headache almost constantly, throat feels like it's swelling shut, feels like a rock in my throat, speaking out loud is becoming labored... I am taking pain meds due to the surgery and wasn't sure if those were the cause of this. After reading the other reviews, it's pointing more towards the forteo. Very interesting. I'll be seeing my doc next week, and I also sent a message to the bone doc that prescribed the forteo. I'll update this post when this is resolved.."

osumike (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"70 yr old with Fx Femur that would not heal, put on forteo injections after 2 surgeries and bone grafts did not work. Took forteo for 4 mo and no results. Had to have hip replaced with a long stem and now 2 yrs later I have a liposcaromia in the pelvis. Just wondering if you think this is a side effect of the forteo. Never had any cancer in my family. Would appreciate anyones thoughts"

Anonymous December 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 56 year old female with Severe osteoporosis and osteoarthritus .My Ortho and Gyno Dr.said My bones were so frail I had no choice but take forteo.I started in 2015 and after a few months of just over all weakness and being sick all the time low BP , I went to my PC Dr. After blood work he said your immune System has crashed get off the forteo! I was home bound had pneumonia etc. Now over a year later my bones went from -2.9 to -3.1 He finally agreed I have to get back on it so...I'm having sweats and sever stomach issues chills ache in my bones . Over all not well feeling .Has anyone had any of these side effects? I'm happy for the ones who can take it with no side effects. !Hope this helps someone and maybe get answers. Blessings"

BabyBones 60 December 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am entering my 6th month with Forteo will be taking a bone density test next week 11/7/16 and then I can gauge any bone improvement. I am to have two surgeries Cervical #6 is too close to my spine and could cause nerve damage when they do a ten hour surgery on my lumbar with screws and a rod. I AM SCARED TO DEATH but I know it has to be repaired or I will be walking around like my cat "on all fours" I was horrified to discover I have scoliosis and my spine is leaning to the right. 5+ months on Forteo voice is now choppy and harder breathing. BoneDensity -1.5 I have now discovered that my left hand has extreme osteo issues, calluses growing in my bone marrow can cause fractures. ANY ADVICE IS WELCOME"

Vanessa in Corona, CA (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I began Forteo one month ago because I have a very very severe ostheoporosis I am in testosterone therapy . Four years ago I began but since the insurance did not cover that and was very expensive I had to quit Now last month my doctor said I needed it I am in 3.5!! I do not mind the injections they are ok, and for the side effects I have had none. Maybe later but I have been a month so far and nothing wrong has happened. I take my injection and no reaction. I have great hopes since I am 75 years old and at risk of spontaneous fracture So far I have manged to get the drug for next month, and I am working it out with the insurance (AARP) to see if they can helpr me Ir is extremely expensive... 2 500 a month and with the copayment 800"

Oskar Euskal (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 9, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have severe osteo and have tried other osteo meds but didn't tolerate. I am 61. My Endo said I need to start Forteo since only one that adds bones. I have been on a year and just had bone scan. No improvement! In fact my spine lost a little. I am so upset since I have given myself daily injections and have had a lot of side effects with drug including headache, dizziness, insomnia tiredness and hip pain."

Weak bones (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 27, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking Forteo for ten months and I just had a bone density test. My bd improved an average of 7 percent overall. I am very pleased, since I had a bad fall 3 months after starting and had no fractures. That is a great accomplishment since last year I had 3 spontaneous fractures. I fractured my tibia while sleeping! But the negative part of treatment (aside from injecting yourself every day for 2 years), was the severe side effects. I was very, very motivated or else I would not have persevered. For the first 6 weeks I had simultaneous vomiting and diarrhea every night. I still experience nausea and general feelings of being unwell for 4-5 hours after each dose."

MoKe July 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Just finished 2 year treatment. I was 53 years old when I started and in extremely good health other than these poor old bones! Spine T-score -4.2 and left hip -3.5 two years ago. New Dexa as of last week shows 20% improvement in the spine and 13% improvement in the hip. It doesn't sound like much but when bones are this bad, anything is an improvement! So for all the aches and pains (some pretty significant) that I have endured over the past two years, I feel it was worth it. Definitely no doubt that this drug caused pain, weakness, some upper respiratory issues....but nothing that I couldn't deal with and nothing that caused me any "down time". Maybe for someone else these side effects are too much. But for me, worth it!!!"

Shilohjane (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been using Forteo for 6 months I have been experiencing burning stabbing pain in my leg which only last a few seconds but makes my leg weaken I was wondering if anyone is getting the same. my legs feel weakened."

lyn fav February 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My Mother was placed on this after broken wrist, broken hip and fractured pelvis. I do believe that this medicine keep her from having a broken shoulder when she fell out of her wheel chair. Granted there was a small hairline fracture. I just know it could have been worse. (she was also a T2 and with dementia). Her Encro had her placed in a study that paid for the medicine."

TinaCG (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My doctor recommended Forteo to help me with my osteoporosis. I said I did not want to take drugs for my bone loss and so he said to try to naturally re build my bones . He was not happy but I said no drugs! I changed my diet to a high calcium yogurt and raw milk too. Then I got butter by Kery gold which is loaded with vit K2 and great to build bone. Then I got a weight vest to take care of my weight bearing workouts which all doctors recommend. Now a year later my bones are getting stronger and the bone scan shows it . So it can be done . Also do make a bone broth its great for bones and teeth too."

Tippy532 (taken for less than 1 month) January 28, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My husband has been on Forteo after having 7 spinal compression fractures. Since he started the injections 2 months ago, he has had increasing shortness of breath. Any exertion causes severely labored breathing. This is a dramatic change as he did not have this symptom before. I'm very worried it is the Forteo!"

wife3 January 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My mom is 89 and has been using Forteo for almost 2 years. We are feeling hopeful about the results of her bone density test, as she hasn't had one since before she began the injections. Mom has Medicare and supplementary insurance with AARP but it wasn't covered and was beyond our means. Our doctor's office referred her to aoither Pharmacy, where she qualified for and received an income-based grant! Their customer service is exemplary and they deliver it to our door. I hope this is helpful for some who desperately need it but can't afford it! I can't wait for her bone density test next month (she hasn't had one while on the medication)! I just know it will be a huge improvement!"

PoetNmotion January 20, 2016