User Reviews for Forteo

Osteoporosis
5.5

Reviews for Forteo

Shar · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 24, 2021

For Osteoporosis: “I have been on Forteo for just 6 weeks short of 2 years. I’m off briefly waiting for my refill. I had several vertebrae break and my tail bone after a major surgery several years ago, and due to osteoporosis. I have joint pain, but I have it when I’m off of it also. I fell several times after another surgery a little over a year ago, but nothing broke. Then 3 months ago I fell again on the same knee on concrete. This time it broke. I’m recovering fine and doctor said there is no way to know if it’s my osteoporosis or not? Don’t know why I fell this time. Maybe dizzy because of Forteo, but can’t be sure? It’s not time yet for my bone density test... you know insurance? Can’t wait for next bone density to see where I am.”

Notahappygirl · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 6, 2021

For Osteoporosis: “Went on for Forteo in October 2020 and have gained 40 pounds I have now taken myself off of it. After reading the many articles about the belly fat and the thigh fat most are saying they’re not gaining weight they’re just getting the girth but I’m getting girth and the weight! Is anyone else out here getting both girth and weight gain?”

Caligal January 15, 2021

For Osteoporosis: “Hello, 55 yo female with osteporosis (-3.5) in my spine. Several vertebral fractures at 53 years. Still very active, youthful, but after healing, started Forteo and was on for 14 months. Beginning at 6 months, experienced leg cramping and stiffness in hips - to the point that at 14 months, could not easily go up or down stairs, hike, etc. it is just too debilitating. I made the decision to go off and try Tymlos now instead, another bone-building med, that's a sister to terapartide.... we'll see how it goes. Goal: finish the next 10 months to have 2 years of bone-building medication as directed by my MD. I have not had a bone density test since initial -3.5 score, so can't comment on effectiveness of either drug at this time. I'll update the review at 2 years after finishing Tymlos. I will need to follow with other osteo medication forever after. Thanks to others for sharing their experiences here to help inform my medical decisions /choices around this Osteo health issue.”

Tippy532 · Taken for less than 1 month January 28, 2016

For Osteoporosis: “My doctor recommended Forteo to help me with my osteoporosis. I said I did not want to take drugs for my bone loss and so he said to try to naturally re build my bones . He was not happy but I said no drugs! I changed my diet to a high calcium yogurt and raw milk too. Then I got butter by Kery gold which is loaded with vit K2 and great to build bone. Then I got a weight vest to take care of my weight bearing workouts which all doctors recommend. Now a year later my bones are getting stronger and the bone scan shows it . So it can be done . Also do make a bone broth its great for bones and teeth too.”

Hopeful · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 20, 2019

For Osteoporosis: “Been on Forteo for 12 months. I was in acute pain with 6 or 7 compression fractures in my spine causing disc to herniate. Took several months before my clinic found out that I had a severe case of osteoporosis. In unbearable pain for 5 months and finally I was given Forteo. I felt a difference in one week. And felt wonderful after a month. Each month it felt that my spinal fractures improved with Forteo, but now I am getting some side effects not so easy to ignore. A lot of joint pain, hands, fingers, knees, neck, hips...every where. Headaches I can tolerate it all. I will stay on Forteo as long as I can afford and am prescribed, but am concerned about "What's next?" I think I am going on Reclast and am very worried about that drug. Hopefully, I will glide onto that with ease. I am in my 70's.”

kish · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 16, 2020

For Osteoporosis: “I'm 71 & have been walking 5 miles/day for many years. I started forteo 2/14/20. After a couple months, towards the end of my walk, it was difficult to move my legs, (they just didn't want to move), & @ the same, while my legs were hard to move, I lost my sense of equilibrium. After my walk & after driving home, these symptoms disappeared. The symptoms progressively began sooner after starting my walk, & by 6/8 were starting 3 miles into my walk. The last day I used forteo was 6/7/20, ( 2 days into my 5th devise). by 6/15/20 the symptoms were gone.”

Misty · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 27, 2019

For Osteoporosis: “I started on forteo 4 months ago I decided to stop this on my own when I started developing the side effects after 3rd month. Horrific back pain, hip pain, cramping in back, nauseous, just over all miserable. I felt like I had the flu on top of this pain. I have been off forteo for a little over a week and still have back pain and cramping and feel blah. It made no sense to continue taking something that made me worse I hope this pain clears up quick, I'd almost rather have a fracture and that's sad. Women will get this, the way I can describe the back pain is it is like having back labor almost non stop. I didn't sign up for all this garbage I was better before this damn drug. I want to be able to enjoy my life and grandson and this has made it extremely difficult to enjoy anything. I just hope these side effects stop quick I can't stand it.”

Hopeful · Taken for less than 1 month October 23, 2019

For Osteoporosis: “I had a complete hysterectomy at age 33 and was diagnosed with full blown osteoporosis at age 50 when I snapped the right foot completely off the leg. Had it surgically reconnected with screws, plates and cadaver bone. Immediately started actonel for a few years, followed by Fosamax. I've broken 9 ribs since 2001, had a severe compression fracture of my t8 vertebrae in 2014. I am a letter carrier for USPS (since '98), am age 61 now, still working, and started forteo Oct 2 2019 because my dexa is 3.9. Forteo is sort of a last hope. Have experienced a little dizziness, but a lot of bone pain in my hips, arms, back and hands. Some muscle pain as well. But I refuse to quit the forteo. I'm a tough old bird and will literally work through this. With Christmas coming in the post office, I'm going to need a great deal of fortitude, but I'll make it!”

Nana Linda September 5, 2013

For Osteoporosis: “I was diagnosed with severe osteoporosis. I had no side effects with Forteo, just completed my 2-year regimen in February, 2013. In July of this year, I tripped over a curb and fell onto a concrete sidewalk. I hit very hard, on my cheek (lower part of eye socket), shoulder, knee, and bent my fingers backward as I landed. X-rays showed I suffered from NO broken bones, only soft tissue damage. I am very grateful that I had the opportunity to experience the benefits of this medicine.”

DSD · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 14, 2019

For Osteoporosis: “I’m on my 4th pen and appear to be having every side effect mentioned here. I am losing my hair, my fingernails look like I bite them, major weight gain in the belly, GERD, depression and problems with my short term memory”

Dawn · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 16, 2019

For Osteoporosis: “I just had to have the aortic valve replaced (Feb 21, 2019) due to calcification. I had mild calcification in 2009 (which my cardiologist neglected to tell me). My rheumatologist told me I should take Forteo for osteoporosis but no warning about calcium levels. Prior to open heart surgery one of the surgeons stated I had the heart of an 82 year old - I'm 66. I firmly believe the condition was accelerated by this drug - wish I had never heard of it. Just checked the list of doctors who have gotten financial kickbacks from the drug company and the name of my rheumatologist is on it. No concern for human life - just padding pockets. Hoping not to be diagnosed with bone cancer next. Just look up your doctor and see who is paying them check under "Dollars for Docs" on a computer search.”

Anonymous October 30, 2008

For Osteoporosis: “Not as scary to give youself an injection as everyone seems to think: needles are very tiny, takes a quick minute so. No having to sit upright for 1/2 hour or other limitations. Had no side effects - have used it for 16 months.”

Anonymous December 14, 2008

For Osteoporosis: “What people need to understand is that Forteo is not in the same class as the other osteoporosis medications reviewed. Forteo is the only one which is designed to rebuild bone, the others are designed to stop bone loss.....big difference!”

Ottawa Physio January 2, 2016

For Osteoporosis: “I started Forteo full of optimism that I would be a "10" in experience. The daily shots were fine, no big deal. But after a few days I felt sick all over as if I had the flu. I actually thought, this is how chemo patients feel. I persevered...... Then the pain in my left upper arm started and nearly crippled me. I am 68 and a recently retired physiotherapist who plays tennis, skis, skates, sails, swims, etc etc. I felt horrible and ended up in tears. I saw my doctor, a Rheumatologist, who dismissed me and my symptoms, left me bereft as a hopeless case. I stopped Forteo and it took approx 2 weeks for my left arm pain to go away. I feel great now.”

Britney · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 23, 2019

For Osteoporosis: “I've been on Forteo for a little over 2 years and it has been a blessing. I'm 56 yrs old with T-scores of -3.0. I've fractured my hip and pelvic without any type of fall or accident. I fell last November and sprained both of my ankles. Without being on the Forteo, my orthopeadic Doc said that my ankles would have been broken. I'm starting to have joint pain now but, still it's better than breaking bones. I have to come off of it this month and dread going on Reclast or Prolia due to the horror stories I've read.”

Jas · Taken for less than 1 month June 7, 2019

For Osteoporosis: “I took Forteo daily injections for one month and had to stop. As a result of a Forteo I now have have severe debilitating bone pain, all over muscle weakness, knees are buckling, severe joint pains, legs, knees, shins, ankles and toes, wrists and fingers. Cramping and swelling in my legs. My mobility is affected. I fell down as my knees were buckling and had to go to urgent care and ER. From a brisk walker, I am so debilitated due to a Forteo that my mobility is slow and painful. How can the Forteo manufacturer can release such a product into the market. That has such serious side effects? Forteo Manufacturer must understand human beings are not rats and they cannot conduct real time forteo study on human beings.”

Anonymous September 18, 2009

For Osteoporosis: “I am 94 years old and have osteoporosis and severe scoliosis. After I had several fracture and three spontaneous fractures simultaneously, my doctor recommended Forteo treatment. I received daily injections for two years ending in April,1908. Since that time I have had numerous falls, none of which resulted in a fracture.”

Shilohjane · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 14, 2016

For Osteoporosis: “Just finished 2 year treatment. I was 53 years old when I started and in extremely good health other than these poor old bones! Spine T-score -4.2 and left hip -3.5 two years ago. New Dexa as of last week shows 20% improvement in the spine and 13% improvement in the hip. It doesn't sound like much but when bones are this bad, anything is an improvement! So for all the aches and pains (some pretty significant) that I have endured over the past two years, I feel it was worth it. Definitely no doubt that this drug caused pain, weakness, some upper respiratory issues....but nothing that I couldn't deal with and nothing that caused me any "down time". Maybe for someone else these side effects are too much. But for me, worth it!!!”

thighs January 8, 2011

For Osteoporosis: “I took this medicine for 2 years, I didn't have any side effects with it. The first year my bones had improved over 25% and the second year there was no improvement. I was disappointed it hadn't improved more in the last year. But was very pleased it had helped overall.”

Dutch January 5, 2020

For Osteoporosis: “I'm having high blood pressure issues. (Never had a problem with bp ) Muscle and bone pain Leg cramps and muscle spasms in weird places ( ie. Back arms sides) lose of balance . Great deal of problem walking”

SN · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 21, 2019

For Osteoporosis: “I have just turned 70 and I have been taking Forteo for 18 months - self injecting into my stomach. MY endocrinologist advised me to try this med. as a last resort after taking Actenol/Fosimax for years with no beneficial results and a decrease in quality of life because of lack of mobility. My bone density results are -3.9%. Underwent lumbar fusion and spinal decompression 18 months ago because of 3 herniated discs and spinal stenosis. Then discovered that I had a fracture in L5 vertebra (possibly due to the surgery). Although I was really hesitant in starting Forteo as it is a black-box medication and I am a Vegan (healthy foods only) I have had no side effects except large weight gain (which is very depressing) and my health insurance pays for 90% of the cost. My next bone density test is in August - praying for good results.”

Marion · Taken for less than 1 month December 23, 2019

For Osteoporosis: “Unfortunately after just 2 Forteo injections I experienced horrendous side effects, crippling back pain insomnia uncontrollable frequency. Stopped treatment but it took 3 weeks for the side effects to ease. Had to take mixture of painkillers codeine ibuprofen diazepam & paracetamol to ease the pain, I was housebound for 2 weeks. Would not recommend this medication . Also reacted badly to biophosphinates.”

Mollyrump · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 13, 2013

For Osteoporosis: “T score was -3.5 and progressively getting worse after years of Fosamax. Just finished two years of Forteo. Bone loss has stopped or better, my T score is now -3.1 which means I've turned the corner. I will now be going on Prolea which is 2 shots a year. No idea what the cost of that will be. No after effects from the Forteo.”

Ken - Chicago November 3, 2013

For Osteoporosis: “I am a 55 year old male recently diagnosed with Osteporosis. My Dr. wanted me on Forteo right away. I of course was concerned about side affects due to all of the warnings. Have been on this drug for almost 1 month, no side affects. Also the needle is tiny and short and you cannot feel it. I am hopeful that me next set of tests show improvement.”

Anonymous August 14, 2011

For Osteoporosis: “Do to severe bone loss, a fracture in my spine & scoliosis my doctor prescribed Forteo. I seemed fine in the first five months but I began to experience unbearable back pain. I could not lie down in bed at night. This went on for a few weeks. The doctor asked me to stop the Forteo. Four day later the pain subsided. My doctors said the medication was not right for me. I have not had a bone density test yet.”

Anonymous October 9, 2011

For Osteoporosis: “On day 5 of taking Forteo, I got so very sick; in a lot of pain from head to toe. I had nausea severely. I was so hoping this medication would work for me. I had to go to the emergency room from the effects of Forteo. Hope it works for others.”

Fliprunner · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 19, 2019

For Osteoporosis: “I have been on Forteo for 19 months. For the last 3 months I have experienced extreme dizziness every few weeks (so dizzy I have to hold tightly onto anything for fear of falling for several minutes) and have gained 8 pounds . After a dizzy spell I am wiped out all day. I'm no longer sure the benefits are worth this.”

M · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 16, 2019

For Osteoporosis: “I'm a 56 year old postmenopausal woman who had two low trauma fractures: a bone in my left foot 6 weeks before my 40th birthday and my lower right tibia at age 53. From 2003 to present, I have increased dietary calcium, Vitamin D, magnesium and weight-bearing exercise. My first Dexascan in 2006 showed osteopenia. My most recent Dexascan in 2019 showed osteoporosis in my spine (-2.6). I started Forteo on July 30 and took my last dose on November 25. In the early morning of November 26, I went to the ER and found out that I had a kidney stone in my ureter. Worst pain I've ever felt. My Primary Care Physician and I both think it was caused by the Forteo as I'd never had a kidney stone before. I stopped taking Forteo and am researching other medications. As for the cost, Lilly has a program that those with private health insurance can qualify. It cost me $4 a pen. If it hadn't been for that, I never would have been able to afford it.”