User Reviews for Forteo

Osteoporosis 50 reviews 151 medications

6.5
Summary of Forteo reviews 50 reviews 6.5

Reviews for Forteo

For Osteoporosis "I had a spinal fusion surgery of T9-S1 just 8 weeks ago. I am a 62-year old female. Recovery was going well. 2 weeks ago, I was asked to start on Forteo. Within 8 days, I began to have knee pains and it is getting worse by the day, making me feel rather unsteady when I walk. Am also having slight dizziness and a constant mild headache. Am going to speak to my surgeon re stopping this medication."

Spakle March 14, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Osteoporosis "So far 3 months on Forteo injection daily. About 6 weeks ago I noticed my nails were chipping vertically so much so that I had to snip every nail down at different times until now my nails are all so short it looks like I have been biting them. I had always had lovely nails until Forteo but Lilly company denies that this is a side effect and my Osteo doc has never heard of this as a side effect. She says I might need more protein in my diet. I feel that I am not being taken seriously about this problem. And I also feel helpless. I have not been able to find the cause of my weakened nails . Please, does anyone else have this problem after taking Forteo."

DianeA in Canada (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 18, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Osteoporosis "37 year old male, diagnosed worth osteoporosis and osteopenia. Had a long spinal fusion 3 months ago, and have been taking forteo for about 4-5 months now. For the last month and a half, I've just felt all around crappy. Mental fog, chest tightness, shortness of breath, dull headache almost constantly, throat feels like it's swelling shut, feels like a rock in my throat, speaking out loud is becoming labored... I am taking pain meds due to the surgery and wasn't sure if those were the cause of this. After reading the other reviews, it's pointing more towards the forteo. Very interesting. I'll be seeing my doc next week, and I also sent a message to the bone doc that prescribed the forteo. I'll update this post when this is resolved.."

osumike (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 10, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Osteoporosis "70 yr old with Fx Femur that would not heal, put on forteo injections after 2 surgeries and bone grafts did not work. Took forteo for 4 mo and no results. Had to have hip replaced with a long stem and now 2 yrs later I have a liposcaromia in the pelvis. Just wondering if you think this is a side effect of the forteo. Never had any cancer in my family. Would appreciate anyones thoughts"

Anonymous December 18, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Osteoporosis "I am 56 year old female with Severe osteoporosis and osteoarthritus .My Ortho and Gyno Dr.said My bones were so frail I had no choice but take forteo.I started in 2015 and after a few months of just over all weakness and being sick all the time low BP , I went to my PC Dr. After blood work he said your immune System has crashed get off the forteo! I was home bound had pneumonia etc. Now over a year later my bones went from -2.9 to -3.1 He finally agreed I have to get back on it so...I'm having sweats and sever stomach issues chills ache in my bones . Over all not well feeling .Has anyone had any of these side effects? I'm happy for the ones who can take it with no side effects. !Hope this helps someone and maybe get answers. Blessings"

BabyBones 60 December 14, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Osteoporosis "I am entering my 6th month with Forteo will be taking a bone density test next week 11/7/16 and then I can gauge any bone improvement. I am to have two surgeries Cervical #6 is too close to my spine and could cause nerve damage when they do a ten hour surgery on my lumbar with screws and a rod. I AM SCARED TO DEATH but I know it has to be repaired or I will be walking around like my cat "on all fours" I was horrified to discover I have scoliosis and my spine is leaning to the right. 5+ months on Forteo voice is now choppy and harder breathing. BoneDensity -1.5 I have now discovered that my left hand has extreme osteo issues, calluses growing in my bone marrow can cause fractures. ANY ADVICE IS WELCOME"

Vanessa in Corona, CA (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 7, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Osteoporosis "I began Forteo one month ago because I have a very very severe ostheoporosis I am in testosterone therapy . Four years ago I began but since the insurance did not cover that and was very expensive I had to quit Now last month my doctor said I needed it I am in 3.5!! I do not mind the injections they are ok, and for the side effects I have had none. Maybe later but I have been a month so far and nothing wrong has happened. I take my injection and no reaction. I have great hopes since I am 75 years old and at risk of spontaneous fracture So far I have manged to get the drug for next month, and I am working it out with the insurance (AARP) to see if they can helpr me Ir is extremely expensive... 2 500 a month and with the copayment 800"

Oskar Euskal (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 9, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Osteoporosis "I have severe osteo and have tried other osteo meds but didn't tolerate. I am 61. My Endo said I need to start Forteo since only one that adds bones. I have been on a year and just had bone scan. No improvement! In fact my spine lost a little. I am so upset since I have given myself daily injections and have had a lot of side effects with drug including headache, dizziness, insomnia tiredness and hip pain."

Weak bones (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 27, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Osteoporosis "I have been taking Forteo for ten months and I just had a bone density test. My bd improved an average of 7 percent overall. I am very pleased, since I had a bad fall 3 months after starting and had no fractures. That is a great accomplishment since last year I had 3 spontaneous fractures. I fractured my tibia while sleeping! But the negative part of treatment (aside from injecting yourself every day for 2 years), was the severe side effects. I was very, very motivated or else I would not have persevered. For the first 6 weeks I had simultaneous vomiting and diarrhea every night. I still experience nausea and general feelings of being unwell for 4-5 hours after each dose."

MoKe July 12, 2016

40 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Osteoporosis "Just finished 2 year treatment. I was 53 years old when I started and in extremely good health other than these poor old bones! Spine T-score -4.2 and left hip -3.5 two years ago. New Dexa as of last week shows 20% improvement in the spine and 13% improvement in the hip. It doesn't sound like much but when bones are this bad, anything is an improvement! So for all the aches and pains (some pretty significant) that I have endured over the past two years, I feel it was worth it. Definitely no doubt that this drug caused pain, weakness, some upper respiratory issues....but nothing that I couldn't deal with and nothing that caused me any "down time". Maybe for someone else these side effects are too much. But for me, worth it!!!"

Shilohjane (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 14, 2016

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Osteoporosis "I have been using Forteo for 6 months I have been experiencing burning stabbing pain in my leg which only last a few seconds but makes my leg weaken I was wondering if anyone is getting the same. my legs feel weakened."

lyn fav February 16, 2016

44 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Osteoporosis "My Mother was placed on this after broken wrist, broken hip and fractured pelvis. I do believe that this medicine keep her from having a broken shoulder when she fell out of her wheel chair. Granted there was a small hairline fracture. I just know it could have been worse. (she was also a T2 and with dementia). Her Encro had her placed in a study that paid for the medicine."

TinaCG (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 29, 2016

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Osteoporosis "My doctor recommended Forteo to help me with my osteoporosis. I said I did not want to take drugs for my bone loss and so he said to try to naturally re build my bones . He was not happy but I said no drugs! I changed my diet to a high calcium yogurt and raw milk too. Then I got butter by Kery gold which is loaded with vit K2 and great to build bone. Then I got a weight vest to take care of my weight bearing workouts which all doctors recommend. Now a year later my bones are getting stronger and the bone scan shows it . So it can be done . Also do make a bone broth its great for bones and teeth too."

Tippy532 (taken for less than 1 month) January 28, 2016

103 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Osteoporosis "My husband has been on Forteo after having 7 spinal compression fractures. Since he started the injections 2 months ago, he has had increasing shortness of breath. Any exertion causes severely labored breathing. This is a dramatic change as he did not have this symptom before. I'm very worried it is the Forteo!"

wife3 January 21, 2016

53 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Osteoporosis "My mom is 89 and has been using Forteo for almost 2 years. We are feeling hopeful about the results of her bone density test, as she hasn't had one since before she began the injections. Mom has Medicare and supplementary insurance with AARP but it wasn't covered and was beyond our means. Our doctor's office referred her to aoither Pharmacy, where she qualified for and received an income-based grant! Their customer service is exemplary and they deliver it to our door. I hope this is helpful for some who desperately need it but can't afford it! I can't wait for her bone density test next month (she hasn't had one while on the medication)! I just know it will be a huge improvement!"

PoetNmotion January 20, 2016

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Osteoporosis "I started Forteo full of optimism that I would be a "10" in experience. The daily shots were fine, no big deal. But after a few days I felt sick all over as if I had the flu. I actually thought, this is how chemo patients feel. I persevered...... Then the pain in my left upper arm started and nearly crippled me. I am 68 and a recently retired physiotherapist who plays tennis, skis, skates, sails, swims, etc etc. I felt horrible and ended up in tears. I saw my doctor, a Rheumatologist, who dismissed me and my symptoms, left me bereft as a hopeless case. I stopped Forteo and it took approx 2 weeks for my left arm pain to go away. I feel great now."

Ottawa Physio January 2, 2016

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Osteoporosis "I am on forteo for two months. I am not sure if my T score has improved since I haven't taken a BD test yet. However, I have experience many side effects with forteo: 5 min after injection (which I hate), I start feeling tremendous pain at the lowe part of my spine. I found out that I can aleviate this pain by moving around (walking fast) for 15 min. I also discovered a very bad interaction with alcohol. Even a small glass of sangria during dinner, had as a result the development of an extreme pain after injection and inability to move for 45 min. Recently, I have also experienced a similar problem when I was on azythromycin for some mouth infection....Other symptoms I have 2 h after injection are flu-kind symptoms, shivering, insomnia"

Maruska November 4, 2015

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Osteoporosis "I have osteoporosis. Im 50. Had hysteretomy at 45. Took Forteo for full 2 years after I broken a hip at 47. Dexa showed no improvement. Very disappointed in Forteo."

yoga1 October 19, 2015

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Osteoporosis "I began taking Forteo December 2 2014 after having neck surgery to remove two discs One week after the surgery I returned for an Xray and the lower part of the plate had come loose from my vertebrate. I was asked if I had fallen, hit my head or any type of accident. I told him I hadn't, then he told me the surgery was a failure. I was put on Forteo 2-1/2 months after my surgery. From the beginning I began having side effects. I've had dizziness resulting in stumbling and falls and bone pain. I opted to stay on it. I have taken a two week break and my symptoms disappeared. I'm debating going back on it."

CattyCritter (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 24, 2015

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Osteoporosis "55 year old male. I've always led a vigorous lifestyle of skiing, biking, kayaking. In the last several years I have had 4 broken ribs, and then earlier this year I broke my right clavicle and then left femur from a fall from a latter. I don't know if its working or not ( No follow up screening yet). My initial T score was -3.9 in the lower lumbar region with various values to -2.9. I have experienced bruising at the injection site, skeletal pain, various stomach issues including constipation, diarrhea, but the latest and worse side affect is a ridged pain in my stomach wall."

crickety (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 19, 2015

54 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Osteoporosis "I have been injecting Forteo for two full weeks. My back pain is demished significantly and my stamina has improved expeditiously! I feel like there is hope for my future today. I am 63 female with one severe L1 fracture and a new fracture at L8. My scoliosis is the double curved kind and I have two bulges protruding at the twist. One is pushing on my spinal column. My doctor found me a $50.00 co-pay card for this drug but the normal copay this month was $487.00. I can say that I actually feel younger and thankful for the diminished pain and gained stamina. I do feel grateful."

Helen Joy September 9, 2015

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Osteoporosis "I've only been taking this for about 2 months so I can't really rate this. "

hikathi (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 7, 2015

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Osteoporosis "Mom 86 years old multiple vertebral compression fractures , loss of height 6-8 inches . Advanced lumbar osteoporosis , 45 degree deviation of spine ... Curves to left like a "C" . After six weeks on forteo.... Her spine is almost straight. She has gained weight after being in hospital on 15 day liquid diet for gall bladder removal. surgery. Still a little slumped at shoulders but standing straighter ... Breathing improved pain insignificant compared to before as pain was moderate or greater. Let's see after four months... Don't wait to start this Med if your spine is similar. Six orthopedics doctors never recommended it ... They only look for surgical cases...."

Dovpoet (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2015

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Osteoporosis "40yr old female! I have Hoshi thyroid disorder. Had a hysterectomy in my mid 20s which is the cause of my osteoporosis. I have been on this going on my 4th month so far no side effects. Small bruising at injection site. I'll have a new scan in about 6 months I feel very hopeful for improved results."

Mikibones (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2015

39 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Osteoporosis "I rated this drug a nine because of the weight gain in my midsection. Dr. Says I no longer have osteopenia or osteoporosis, however, I have gained 8 pounds in 10 months despite decreasing my calorie intake and increase in exercise."

Txgirlinkorea July 10, 2015