Generic name: ; VANCOMYCIN HYDROCHLORIDE 1g in 1g
Dosage form: kit
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Oct 21, 2020.
2.1Important Administration Instructions
Prior to oral administration, the supplied FIRVANQ powder must be reconstituted by the healthcare provider (i.e., a pharmacist) to produce the oral solution [ see Dosage and Administration (2.4)].
- C. difficile-associated diarrhea: The recommended dose is 125 mg administered orally 4 times daily for 10 days.
- Staphylococcal enterocolitis: Total daily dosage is 500 mg to 2 g administered orally in 3 or 4 divided doses for 7 to 10 days.
2.3Pediatric Patients (less than 18 years of age)
For both C. difficile-associated diarrhea and staphylococcal enterocolitis, the usual daily dosage of FIRVANQ is 40 mg/kg in 3 or 4 divided doses for 7 to 10 days. The total daily dosage should not exceed 2 g.
2.4Preparation and Storage of Solutions of FIRVANQ
Each FIRVANQ kit contains 1 bottle of vancomycin hydrochloride USP powder and 1 bottle of pre-measured Grape-Flavored Diluent to be added to the vancomycin bottle. A healthcare provider (i.e., a pharmacist) must reconstitute vancomycin hydrochloride USP powder with the Grape-Flavored Diluent provided in the kit. FIRVANQ is available in various strengths and volumes in the kit as shown in Table 1.
|Vancomycin Concentration after Reconstitution||Final Volume of FIRVANQ after Reconstitution||Vancomycin Strength per Bottle||Diluent for FIRVANQ|
|25 mg/mL||150 mL||3.75 g||147 mL|
|300 mL||7.5 g||295 mL|
|50 mg/mL||150 mL||7.5 g||145 mL|
|300 mL||15 g||289 mL|
Steps for the Preparation of Solutions of FIRVANQ
- Hold the neck of the bottle containing the vancomycin hydrochloride USP powder for oral solution (see Table 1), and tap the bottom edges on a hard surface to loosen the powder.
- Remove the cap from the bottle.
- Tap the top of the induction seal liner to loosen any powder which may have adhered to the liner.
- Carefully and slowly peel back the inner foil seal liner from the bottle.
- Shake the Grape-Flavored Diluent (see Table 1) for a few seconds.
- Open the diluent bottle and carefully and slowly peel back the inner foil seal from the diluent bottle.
- Transfer about half the contents of the Grape-Flavored Diluent into the vancomycin hydrochloride, USP powder bottle (“Powder Bottle”).
- Replace the Powder Bottle cap, tighten onto the Powder Bottle, and shake the Powder Bottle vertically for approximately 45 seconds. NOTE: Do NOT use the diluent cap on the Powder Bottle.
- Re-open the Powder Bottle and add the remaining Grape‑Flavored Diluent into the Powder Bottle.
- Replace the Powder Bottle cap, tighten onto the Powder Bottle, and shake the Powder Bottle for approximately 30 seconds. NOTE: Do NOT use the diluent cap on the Powder Bottle as it may cause the solution to leak from the bottle.
- Apply appropriate bar coded dispensing labels onto Powder Bottle and dispense FIRVANQ oral solution to the patient.
- Instruct the patient to shake the reconstituted solution of FIRVANQ well before each use and to use an oral dosing device that measures the appropriate volume of the oral solution in milliliters.
- Instruct the patient to discard the reconstituted solution of FIRVANQ solution after 14 days, or if it appears hazy or contains particulates.
Frequently asked questions
- Can you drink alcohol while taking vancomycin?
- What is the difference between Firvanq and the CutisPharma FIRST-Vancomycin Compounding Kit?
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Firvanq (vancomycin)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- Drug class: glycopeptide antibiotics
- FDA Alerts (3)
- FDA Approval History