Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Aug 30, 2023.
Applies to the following strengths: 140 mg
Usual Adult Dose for:
Additional dosage information:
Usual Adult Dose for Prostate Cancer
14 mg/kg/day orally in 3 or 4 divided doses
Duration of Therapy: Continue therapy as long as there is a favorable patient response; some patients have been maintained on therapy for more than 3 years.
- Patients should receive this drug for 30 to 90 days before the treating physician determines the possible benefits of continued therapy.
- Most patients have been treated at 10 to 16 mg/kg/day.
Use: Palliative treatment of patients with metastatic and/or progressive carcinoma of the prostate.
Renal Dose Adjustments
Use with caution.
Liver Dose Adjustments
Use with caution.
Safety and efficacy have not been established in patients younger than 18 years.
Consult WARNINGS section for additional precautions.
Data not available.
- Take this drug 1 hour before or 2 hours after meals.
- Swallow this drug with water.
- Avoid simultaneous administration of milk, milk products, and food or drugs containing calcium, magnesium, or aluminum (e.g., antacids) during treatment with this drug.
- Store under refrigeration at 36 to 46 degrees Fahrenheit (2 to 8 degrees Celsius).
- This drug causes little or no bone marrow depression at usual therapeutic dosage.
- This drug has shown effectiveness in patients who have not previously received drug therapy, as well as in those who have shown no response to conventional hormone treatment.
- Blood pressure (periodically during treatment)
- Serum calcium levels (regular intervals during treatment)
- Endocrine and liver function (regular intervals during therapy and after the drug has been withdrawn for 2 months)
More about estramustine
- Check interactions
- Compare alternatives
- Side effects
- During pregnancy
- Drug class: hormones/antineoplastics
- En español
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.